Deer Jerky

I use an old Nesco dehydrator I found at a second hand store. Let it go 8-10hrs in the garage and then to make sure it gets above 160, I pop it all on a cookie sheet while its still hot in the oven at 250 for 15min. I bet your wife wont mind it in the over after its dehydrated.

Seems if, a guy does nearly an entire deer or good bit of an elk into jerky, the house oven is pretty tough to pass up for drying. Cut the venison 1/4" to 3/8ths inch thick strips and put it in a 3 to 5 gallon plastic pail , square or round,that has a lid that seals tight. Put the slices in the pail with favorite marinade blend and leave it closed in bottom of refrigerator for 1 to 3 days.
Get a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil and cover the oven racks with it. The commercial stuff at costco or sam's club is wider and thicker, saves time, works well. On the top oven rack, nearest to the door, leave a 5 inch square of that rack uncovered of foil.
Put on food grade disposable gloves and take the venison out of the pails and spread it out on all the oven racks. it can be touching other strips but, make sure it's only single layer deep. Try to leave as much marinade in the pail as possible, don't have to pat it dry though.
In that upper corner rack area, where you left the foil off, goes the fan. Use an axial flow 4 or 5 inch square 120 volt fan. They cost about $20 bucks on amazon or Graingers. They work in any position. They;re diecast aluminum housing, about an 1-1/4 thick and 4x4 inch square. Lay it flat on top rack,with air blowing up. Plug he little fan in with cord routed out over top of oven door. close door, set the oven on 170F. Wait a few hours and unplug fan and just move it out of the way. Turn all the Jerky strips over. Put the fan back in it's spot, plug it in, close the door. Perfect digital controls on a modern oven, that you already have, makes perfectly cured jerky safe and easy. If, House Rules, require you to do it when the Warden's is out, just have a few beers in the fridge for the mission,good luck.

Seems if, a guy does nearly an entire deer or good bit of an elk into jerky, the house oven is pretty tough to pass up for drying. Cut the venison 1/4" to 3/8ths inch thick strips and put it in a 3 to 5 gallon plastic pail , square or round,that has a lid that seals tight. Put the slices in the pail with favorite marinade blend and leave it closed in bottom of refrigerator for 1 to 3 days.
Get a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil and cover the oven racks with it. The commercial stuff at costco or sam's club is wider and thicker, saves time, works well. On the top oven rack, nearest to the door, leave a 5 inch square of that rack uncovered of foil.
Put on food grade disposable gloves and take the venison out of the pails and spread it out on all the oven racks. it can be touching other strips but, make sure it's only single layer deep. Try to leave as much marinade in the pail as possible, don't have to pat it dry though.
In that upper corner rack area, where you left the foil off, goes the fan. Use an axial flow 4 or 5 inch square 120 volt fan. They cost about $20 bucks on amazon or Graingers. They work in any position. They;re diecast aluminum housing, about an 1-1/4 thick and 4x4 inch square. Lay it flat on top rack,with air blowing up. Plug he little fan in with cord routed out over top of oven door. close door, set the oven on 170F. Wait a few hours and unplug fan and just move it out of the way. Turn all the Jerky strips over. Put the fan back in it's spot, plug it in, close the door. Perfect digital controls on a modern oven, that you already have, makes perfectly cured jerky safe and easy. If, House Rules, require you to do it when the Warden's is out, just have a few beers in the fridge for the mission,good luck.

Thanks for the tutorial.

There are a few videos on almost anything you want to know these days. I can't stand them. I would read stuff like you articulated

How low a temperature will a Camp Chef or Traeger smoker smoke at?

Edit: Sorry I see the pellet smokers were already mentioned. I was too lazy to read before responding this morning lol.

I used to do it in the oven until two years ago. Mama wasn't having it anymore so she bought me a dehydrater. Now I do it in the garage 🤣 🤣 🤣

I typically use High Mountain Cure or something else on the shelf at Wally world.

Question: How are you storing it after you have dehydrated it? The box says to freeze it if storing for long periods. I want to dehydrate/jerky it so I can store it in plastic without taking up freezer space. We do a bit of canning and have a vacuum sealer with the "de-oxygenator packets" but not sure that is best to keep out the mold.

What say you???

I used to do it in the oven until two years ago. Mama wasn't having it anymore so she bought me a dehydrater. Now I do it in the garage 🤣 🤣 🤣

I typically use High Mountain Cure or something else on the shelf at Wally world.

Question: How are you storing it after you have dehydrated it? The box says to freeze it if storing for long periods. I want to dehydrate/jerky it so I can store it in plastic without taking up freezer space. We do a bit of canning and have a vacuum sealer with the "de-oxygenator packets" but not sure that is best to keep out the mold.

What say you???
For me vacuum pack and freeze is the best way. If you don't want to take up a lot of freezer space do small batches. I've never had a dehydrator remove enough to moisture for the meat not to sour