Deer Hunting in Maine

Timeout

I have watched a TV show a few times that features the conservation law enforcement in Maine. I'm wondering if there are any deer hunters from Maine on the forum? I don't know anything about your deer herd in Maine but the show says it is very fragile. I'm guessing that would be due in part to winter kill? In Maine once a hunter shoots his deer, he basically has to "go to the house". Here in WI. we can group hunt and even though one may have shot his deer, he can continue hunting with his buddies and even shoot a deer for them if they are within "hollering" distance of the buddy. It seems to me that with hunter numbers dwindling, Maine's laws discourage growing the sport. Gun deer season here in WI. is a time of tradition and fun by spending the weekend, or even all 9 days, hunting with your family and friends. How do the deer hunters in Maine feel about your laws that do not allow group hunting? Good luck to all this season. Hope you down a giant buck!

No one on here from Maine? Another thing that I saw on the TV show was that "deer drives" are illegal. The CO stated that the deer don't have a chance of surviving during a deer drive. Sort of makes me wonder if he has ever participated in one? I don't care one way or another what method a guy uses, but there are surer ways to kill a deer than a deer drive.

I can answer some of your questions. I used to deer hunt northwestern Maine (25+ years), however it seems that over the years I've not gone for one reason or another; but I am thinking of going this year, lots of trips around the sun. I do hunt black bear in Maine, have hunted them for about 8 years now. I have never had a problem with any of the COs, not to say that I couldn't but I do try to stay within the law/s. If at all possible if I do see a CO, I will stop to talk with them and find out what, if any, they are enforcing or what their pet peeves are if they have any. And.....no you cannot group hunt, or use radio devices to hunt deer as well as you cannot use drones in that mix. I think that the hard winters, deep snow in the more northern parts of the state and the coyote have hurt the herd. The better areas to hunt in Maine seems to be the central and southeastern parts of the state. If you go online you can do a search that will show where the most deer have been taken in past seasons. I don't think that the laws prohibit hunting, but....they do help to protect the deer herd. I've never been to Wisconsin hunting, so have nothing to compare with. From what I have read in your post, I suspect that the deer herd outnumbers the Maine herd by a lot. Also Vermont and New Hampshire pretty much have the same laws. I live in Rhode Island, if you have the right permits you are allowed to take like 7-9 deer if you hunt all of the season, bow, muzzle loader, shotgun. Hope this helps your question/s.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.