Deer are tough creatures..

Rustystud

Yesterday, while bullet testing and meat hunting I shot two deer both about 90 pounders. Both shot at approximately 100 yards with a 308 loaded with Nosler accubonds. Both deer were double lung and heart shot breaking the off side shoulder. They both bucked up and stumbled then ran all out for another 100 yards. The wound channel was large as my fist. Both leaked like a bucket with a quarter sized hole in the bottom and 20 psi on the top. Yes, I could have head or spine shot them and planted them in their tracks. This experiment just went to prove you can double lung, heart and break the off shoulder, and a deer can run another 100 yards. Both of these deer were dead on their feet.

Nat Lambeth

I hear ya. One thing about it though, they will be dead when you get to them and rarely go further than 60 yards in my experiance.

Some deer are just tough. I have shot deer through both shoulders and still had them make the 50 yard or so dash. I shot a deer last year at 111 yards with a 155 Berger VLD from my 30X47 HBR at 2650 fps as squarely through both shoulders as possible. The deer seemed not even to flinch but just took off into a very thick cut over. When I got to the spot the deer was standing when I shot it you could see blood and lung tissue scattered for about 5 yards on the off side. That deer was found about 50 yards away. It had a hole in it's off side that you could drop a base ball into. I have shot deer with a 7mm Rem mag through the shoulders and they would run a 100 yards. When you find them you could about mash the shoulders together they are so broke up and destroyed. Then there are those deer shot that drop dead so fast that they just look like they have layed down. There feet and legs are under them and they don't even fall over.

Their being able to run after being hard hit has caused tracking problems for us this year. A deer runs 100 yards into one of our famous thickets, finding one becomes quite a task, especially when hit from 400 yards, bullets we use aren't leaving any blood trail to follow.

I shot a 200 pounder yesterday with my 357 at 65 yards through the lungs and heart, breaking a rib on exit. It continued to run for about 100 yards before it died.

The hole was as big as my index finger. Using Hornady 158gr hp/xtp.

Quote By Bob Hagel

Bob Hagel was one of the best gun writers ever. His books are second to none. There is a quote in one of his books:

"there is no such thing as having too much gun, dead is dead."

Nat Lambeth

It seems to me that the smaller super fast rounds put the deer down quicker. I have used or witnessed the use of alot of different carteriges used from 22 r/f to 416 rem on white tails in Texas. just my 2cents

longbow, crossbow, shotgun,. muzzeloader or 30-06........plan on tracking the deer for a few yards after a perfect shot. 338 win mag, 50 BMG, 340 Weatherby, then it may drop him more times than he runs, but then again maybe not. Agreed, they are tough animals.

mine was a tough one this year, had to chase him over the top to finish, due to a neck shot w/325 WSM IN timber. I was on top ridge running ealier

Shot a 175 lb 6 Point Buck with 300 Winchester Magnum at 120 yds, with 165 Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. He was quartering toward me and the bullet went through right shoulder and exited out of the rib cage, just behind the left shoulder. Knew I had a dead deer shot at sound of rifle, but he ran about 20 yds. I say he just took a deep breath and it took that long to exhale.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts