deer ammo

hubee_7j

Hi i was curious to see if anyone has used remington premeir match ammo in 168 gr BTHP for deer hunting and what their results were. i would also like to here results for Hornady custom 165gr BTSP for deer hunting. Im shootind 308 Win as well. Thanks

Hi i was curious to see if anyone has used remington premeir match ammo in 168 gr BTHP for deer hunting and what their results were. i would also like to here results for Hornady custom 165gr BTSP for deer hunting. Im shootind 308 Win as well. Thanks[/QUOTE

I prefer to use hunting bullets for hunting and I have used a lot of Remington premier
ammo with the custom bullets (Like the Partition,Swift A Frame and the Core lock with
good results Also the Hornady Custom ammo.

I normally try the factory loads during break in and if they do well I have ammo to fall
back on If I need to.

I have shot thousands of Match bullets and tried to use them for hunting and could not rely
on the terminal performance shot to shot.

Accuracy is very important and so is terminal performance so I would recomend using a good
quality hunting bullet out to4 or 500 yards and a match bullet beyond that where velocity is
lower and accuracy and terminal performance is better with match bullets.

Most shots on deer are under 300 yards and the use of a match bullet is counter productive
because the accuracy difference at these distances are negligible and the explosive effects
are to much.

The 308 is a fine deer cartridge at reasonable ranges and with lighter bullets they are reasonably flat shooting. with heaver bullets the velocity will be slow and performance is
not as good as something like a rum that can really move a 180 or 200gr bullet .

For deer at normal distances I would recomend a 130 to 150 gr hunting bullet. For 600and/or
1000 yard target shooting the 168 Match King or something in it's class would be best.

Just My 2 cents

J E CUSTOM

+1 for sticking with hunting ammo for hunting. Match bullets are designed to fly with little thought or engineering as how they will perform once they hit/enter the final target. Match ammo may expand too quickly/not quick enough, fragment, fail to penetrate, etc. In my experience they often times act like frangible bullets on big game. Plenty of high BC/High SD hunting bullets out there, i would pick up some Sierra Game Kings in the same weight as your match bullets and go from there.

Have shot whitetail deer with 175 SMK in 308 win, they left silver dollar size exit holes, no deer ran over 40 yards so far.

I shoot DRT tungsten cored 200 gr bullets. There is no exit and incredible terminal performance. Actually, in all the Mule Deer and Elk I've shot none have escaped. Yes I agree accuracy is vital, still, even the difficult shots (running animals) proved successful.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.