Deep snow & very cold?

KennyLL

How does 24" of snow and very cold temps(0 to -20) affect your coyote hunting tactics and how does it affect a coyote's daily routine?? At first the snow was a killer to try to walk any distances to set up. Now it has gotten easier to walk, but much more noisier, very squeaky. Is calling from an old abandoned farm grove a good idea when all the surrounding farmland is drifted full of snow? Or is setting up away from cover a better option? I see coyote tracks in the snow every place we go, but havent seen much since this last bit snow storm. I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks

You might try to hunt closer to wildlife and livestock now that there's deep snow and cold. Not only do these bigger animals make trails that the coyotes will travel on, but that type of weather kills alot of the sick wildlife/livestock (especially if there was high winds with or after the snow). Coyotes are excellent hunters, but prefer a large meal of something already dead or weakend. Sometimes, coyotes won't be travelling much after a big storm, because they've already got a big meal right there where they are.Once the snow gets hard, coyotes will travel more country easier again. Walking on noisy snow can sometimes be a deal breaker for calling yotes. We make a different noise while walking on hard snow than any other 4 legged animal does. Even your tires on the snow can be really noisy to a coyote.

Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I had a friend with a snowmobile make some hard walking paths out in sections where coyotes are. That helped my mobility, but also one particular track is now like a "Coyote Hiway" by the dog tracks that are on it! I am new to his sport and need all the help!!!

Now that you've seen how they will use a new trail, pay special attention to those trails and others when you are out calling or hunting. Alot of times, a coyote will actually go out of its way a little to get onto a trail and use that trail to get closer to the "screamer". Where I live, I see that happen even without snow on the ground............. they will try to avoid the cactus.

We have been using cross country skies for easier access now since about 87. If we don't get a yote and try the area again 9 out 10 times they will have used our ski tracks for easier running. They use the snomobile trails an awful lot where we hunt so that is another route we will access.
We have been dragging scent in the snow and that seems hold them if we plan on hitting the area in the afternoon or next day.
If you have deer yards (I do in my areas) the fringes always will have a few yotes on the downwind side more often than not.
Same with the pastures like mentioned earlier

Up here it is often cold but not a lot of snow. When there is deep snow I use snowshoes. I also think coyotes don't move as much in deep snow. Just go for a walk with your dog and see how soon he starts using your track. Perhaps the biggest coyote I ever got was in deep snow , wind and 30 below zero. He came as the tape was done (30 min) running hard came past ten feet off heading for the speaker. One set up was all I could handle that day.S.W. Saskatchewan, Canada

I hunt a lot in North Central British Columbia, Canada and I am always in snow/temp conditions you just described.

I wear snow shoes and always carry a pack for extra cloths and my hunting/calling gear.

I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 215lbs so with the pack and rifle I am weighing in at 240 - 250lbs so I now wear 36" snow shoes.

For a seat I have a single legged fold out seat that I bought when I was in Slovakia that I sit on or one of these new cushion/back rest seat that fold together.

I sometimes set up the folding seat onto my snow shoes so I don't sink into the snow.

I either carry a tripod shooting rest or a bipod made out of wood that I bought from the local wood shop.

I was out last Thursday and got into about just over knee deep snow but had not brought my snow shoes so the only way I was able to get around was walk along snowmobile tracks so I only sunk in about 6" with each step.

I have a light weight tree stand that was designed to be packed in so lately I have been thinking about setting it up in a tree but only a couple feet off of the snow so I don't have to put steps into the tree.

Here is a pic of my last cold weather coyote it was -34 degrees Celsius it was so cold that any moisture in the air was crystallizing I spotted this guy @ about 400 yards made a couple calls on a Primus Ki-Yi call and sat back as I watched him run like a rocket right at me he stopped and sat down facing me @ 40 yards.

I left him at the fence line for about one hour I went back to get my camera when I got back he was frozen solid...

Dec_08_to_Feb_09_066.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts