Deep primer pocket

@NW Sportsman Have you primed other makes of cases and what were the results primer depth wise ? Reason I ask is your primer tool may be seating the primer a little to deep and crushing the primer. It happened to me and I had to adjust the priming set-up.

Hi there!
I bought some Norma brass a while back loaded them up and noticed my CCI large magnum primers were more deep seated than the other brass I have and are out of range of my Benelli R1 in .300 Winchester mag firing pin.
I emailed Norma about this but haven't heard anything back from their tech department.
I use a RCBS hand held primer tool and was thinking of building a stop that will not seat the primer so deeply.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
The Frankford Arsenal hand held are somewhat adjustable.

Have you tried pulling the seating rod out of the (RCBS?) priming tool, and adjusting it so it pushes the primer in a little less deep?
I recently had to adjust one to seat a little deeper, so the primer could be seated flush with the case head.
I have thought about that. From what I am understanding , it's not a good idea. Could lead to erratic ignition of the powder load.

Hi there!
I bought some Norma brass a while back loaded them up and noticed my CCI large magnum primers were more deep seated than the other brass I have and are out of range of my Benelli R1 in .300 Winchester mag firing pin.
I emailed Norma about this but haven't heard anything back from their tech department.
I use a RCBS hand held primer tool and was thinking of building a stop that will not seat the primer so deeply.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Ok, Norma brass in 300 Winchester mag , CCI 250 (mag) primers.
I was just cleanin' cobwebs from the top of my bookcase and noticed one of the reloading manuals I have there is the Norma Reloading Manual from 2004. It's been a while since I looked at this , so I took it down and began perusing through.
To my surprise, Norma lists Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers in every load in that manual EXCEPT: 6mm Norma Br, 223 Rem, 222 Rem.
Those use Winchester Small Rifle primers. I went through 'em all. Ta Heck with dustin'!

WLRM primers listed for everything else, magnum or not.
Norma even shows WLRM primers on 6.5 Carcano and 30-30 Winchester.

What are the dimensions of Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primers ? Those are the hottest primers. They possess the most brisance, ( explosive force) of rifle primers. So it would seem a given that the dimensions would be larger than CCI magnum primers which are low medium brisance primers.

Is Norma sizing the primer pocket of their brass for the larger WLRM primers ? Making the primer pocket deeper to accommodate the larger primers . Then if anyone uses a lesser primer in their brass, the primer pocket is too deep.

So, anybody know the dimensions of Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primers ?

Its miniscule.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210220-193806_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210220-193806_Google.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.