Deep Fluting

Was also curious of this. I am ordering a 26 inch Hart Sendero/Varmint for my 338 build and am having Hart flute the barrel right from the factory. I am thinking that their factory flutes probably are not that deep though.

Has anyone seen any decline in rifle performance from fluting the barrel? I originally thought about having my gun smith cerekote the rifle one color - but am now considering cerekoting the flutes a different color because those pictures above look awesome!

I don't believe Karl will go deeper than standard. Marty at Twisted Barrel will push the limits for maximum weight removal.
I can appreciate Karl`s caution...... Very wise.....
When you relieve a tube on the outside,it can change the dimensions inside.....
I`ve experienced many situations in 40 years in a machine shop where relieving an area can cause warpage and dimensional changes.....
I would like to hear about accuracy before and after fluting....
I am of the opinion fluting should be done before drilling,reaming,rifleing and lapping..... a rifle barrel.....

I`ve experienced many situations in 40 years in a machine shop where relieving an area can cause warpage and dimensional changes.....
I am of the opinion fluting should be done before drilling,reaming,rifleing and lapping..... a rifle barrel.....
This is why I was asking about the heat treat.

Good question, but I am not sure the ones I have done for example can shoot any better than they do now. BUT, it might be a fun experiment.

I saw a video on I think Bartlein website where a pin gauge showed a warping of the barrel when threaded any less than 1/2". It was eye opening, but all my stuff is 5/8x24 and they are some shooters.

I too have been curious. On Shilens website they say they don't recommend fluting their barrels because it changes the internal dimensions.

I have had several rifles fluted after chambering and seen no loss of accuracy though all of mine were cut rifled.

There is some concern of fluting button rifled barrels after rifling.

Karl has experimented with fluting before and after. No change in accuracy.

If anyone can truly see a difference they are either the best shooter in the world, screwed up the fluting, or had a bad day at the range.

It is true that button bores open with outside turning.
Hammered bores close with turning.
Cut doesn't change.

But I don't know about fluting & bore changes.