Dedicated Turkey Gun

I sold my 12 ga turkey loads. I went to 410 and 20 ga turkey guns. Mossberg
500 410 TSS turkey gun
SA 410ga TSS turkey gun
SA 20 ga turkey gun.
The 410's have Indian Creek. 385 . One shoots apex ninja 9.5 TSS load. Other shoots apex small town bend 9.5. Both has reflex red dots on them. The 20 ga has a Winchester longbeard xr choke. With longbeard xr 5 shot. Or ninja or federal 20ga 3 inch 9 tss loads with Carlson TSS choke. Topped with a reflex red dot. I used to hunt with a Remington sp 10ga. And Remington 870 12ga 3.5.
Well personally I don't see a need for a specialized Turkey gun. Several years ago when Turkey hunting opened up here in Wisconsin and after hearing how hard they were to kill I went out and bought a Remington 11-87 Super Mag 3 1/2 inch. Even with the semi auto action to help with recoil, it was not fun gun to shoot with the full mags. A hunting buddy had an 870 super mag. While mine kicked like a mule, his kicked like a full blown draft horse and made ones shoulder hurt for a day or two after shooting. Used the 11-87 for pheasants and trap shooting then a guy on another trap team decided that he really wanted a Super Mag and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My next Turkey shotgun was a Remington 1100 3 inch magnum with a full choke which did an admirable job on turkeys, ducks and geese but would only function with 3 inch shells. For many years I had been admiring the Browning A5 ultimate, which is currently my all around shotgun to include turkey gun. It is equipped with the standard mid bed and fluorescent Orange front bead. I have found that with a Turkey choke it patterns well out to 60 yards and if I am able to call in a turkey that is in season to withing 60 yards or less when it sticks it's head up, as they often do by holding the bead on the beak and pulling the trigger that a full load of Federal Black Cloud #4 steel shot leaving the barrel at 1550 fps has not failed me yet. One shot, one Turkey. For those of you who are gasping and saying, "But Black Cloud is a waterfowl load!!" Trust me, the turkey doesn't know the difference. So those of you who must have a specialized turkey gun and specialized turkey ammo by all means add one to your collection and shoot the specialized ammo. But for those of us who don't feel the need for a super specialized gun to hunt only turkeys with, just about any old shotgun will work providing you pattern it and know what your max range is for that particular shotgun is. A bead works just as good as a red dot or scope providing you know how to use it.

5.5 lb 20 gauge kicks about as bad as 12 at 7.5-8 lbs. makes no sense to me. 410 , however has me fascinated. amazing little guns when used with TSS .

I forgot to mention Ithaca. They make a very good dedicated turkey gun right out of the box. Slap on sight of choice and go hunt.
Even my most tricked up turkey gun doesn't come close to the cost of a long range rifle. Just saying.

Benelli Nova out of your choices. I have one and a super black eagle with a 26" barrel. I always use the the super black eagle and if I have someone with me let them use the nova. Never had an issue with either one.

Well to the dismay of a few of you I have made my Turkey gun purchase. I decided on a 20 gauge Franchi Affinity.
Now buy a bunch of TSS. BOSS makes a good shell, I heard Apex is good as well. Good luck finding it. I bought some BOSS shells last year when I bought my 20ga.

Have purchased some of the Winchester long beard stuff. If I find it's performance lacking I will try something else. Has anyone used the the Kent Turkey shells? I believe it's called diamond shot? A local shop has it and the price is good.

Have purchased some of the Winchester long beard stuff. If I find it's performance lacking I will try something else. Has anyone used the the Kent Turkey shells? I believe it's called diamond shot? A local shop has it and the price is good.
I'd probably give the Kent Diamond bismuth stuff a try. The thing that makes a 20ga able to keep up with a 12ga is using TSS. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone has been saying on here too. I know that's the only reason I went with a 20ga.

I have no recommendation for a turkey gun in 12 ga 3 1/2" but if I did I would use a Rem 870.
IMO you don't need that much gun. My "perfect" turkey shotgun is my youth model Rem 870, 20 ga 3" in camo sporting a Millett red dot scope.
Using Winchester Super X #5s I can roll a big tom at 35 yards no problem.

Most Turkeys are killed close and most people over choke in hopes of killing one really far. I've seen so many misses @ 25-30 yards that most folks would be better off with a modified choke and bead sights. Everyone wants a scope or aimpoint and a supertight choke. Those are the choices with lead. All that is out the window now. I would shoot the lightest 3" 20ga I could find with TSS shot and most likely just an imod or full choke. Premium tube like a Briley but no tighter than full, Tungsten doesn't like a lot of choke to pattern well. If there ever was a gun that is carried a lot and shot a little this is it. A 5lb gun is the answer here, for me anyway especially in the hills. And I have a safe full of shotguns. I use a 12ga the least of all my shotguns hunting anymore. Love my 10 with Tungsten BB's for geese and ducks that refuse to mind. 20ga with tungsten 4's for ducks that do mind. 28ga for most everything else, and .410 for showing off. Gave most of the 12ga guns to the kids. They love to shoot 3-1/2. They'll learn.

I'm in the market for a dedicated Turkey shotgun. I would like to have 12ga 3.5 capability. Any suggestions? Not much in shops around where I live so will most likely be an internet purchase. Some I have considered are-

Benelli Nova 24 inch
CZ 612 26 inch Turkey
Mossberg 500 Turkey model
Savage 212 Turkey model
Lots of good and not so good info. in any thread . Keep that in mind sir! (1) If you are only going to shoot 2 or 3 shots a year recoil and price of ammo is not a huge factor. (2) gas operated auto loaders kick less it's that simple all weighs,ammo etc being the same!!! (3) Buy a gun that fits you well. (4) Sit very very still. Good luck with your search. Tribb

Cautionary tale, check gun after travel. I forgot recently and shot low on a bird at 45 yds that should have been dead. Even red dots can travel poorly. I know better.
As regards recoil, I only feel it on the range , amazingly.
that said I wonder about a 28 gauge over under with TSS one turkey choke ,one full choke.
anyone tried that set up?