Decisison decisions..

Montanasloth

So I'm looking at getting a magnum rifle for some longer shots that may come up in a few of the spots I hunt in Montana. And I was initially thinking I wanted a 300 Weatherby that I would build up a little, but the more I think the more ideas I have. I'm going to start reloading with the father in law shortly after my son is born so that should help with the cost of magnum ammunition. But what I'm thinking now is a 7mm rem mag, I haven't written of the 300 yet but the thought is kinda in the back of my mind. What I'm looking at is either a Weatherby Vanguard s1 or s2 doesn't matter to me, or maybe trying out the Remington 700 long range which would be the upper limits of my budget come October, even though I wouldn't use it till the 2016 season allowing time for glass and load development and maybe a few upgrades along the way. I like the idea of a 26" barrel for more open country/ mountain meadows, where as my 270 would get the call for thicker areas. so between the 700 long range or a vanguard what would be better route? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

If you don't plan on getting the action worked over at some point I would go with the Vanguard S2. If you get an S1, then plan on replacing the trigger as it is garbage.
As far as caliber, check a reloading book for bullet types and velocities and see what you like. Then put those numbers in a ballistics program and see what they do at long range and if they meet your goals there.

For all practical applications, I wouldn't get a 7mag if I had a .270. I would step up to the .300 win mag, The Weatherby is nice, I always wanted one. But the Win Mag is a better choice for me because of component availability and economy.

I went to a local shop and looked at both the Remington LT and the Savage LRH. For me, the Savage felt much better than the Remington. I also like the idea of an off/on brake that will allow me to have less recoil to follow the shot when I have time but when walking I can keep it off to not destroy my hearing if one of those kind of shots present itself. I choose the 300 win mag as I feel it has better down range performance than a 7mm mag. I gave my 7mm to my son so I need a new rifle. I too plan on loading it up with Bergers. Also, I am likely going to go with a FFP Mil in a Vortex which from what I have researched should be ideal for a Long Range Hunting Rifle for someone on a budget that can afford $2000 for glass. Also, with the Remington i was advised I would likely want to upgrade the trigger right away to a Jewel or Timney but it seems the Accu Trigger was pretty well liked so no trigger job needed.

The difference in the 270 and 7mm are very minimal, .007, which is why I had originally wrote it off for a later date; but I just can't help but fell the urge to have one in my safe. I will most likely be replacing a trigger and if I go the weatherby route I will be changing he stock. I will have to look into the savage as well. what ever route I go with the gun it will more than likely be topped with a vortex. I've read that the 2 inches of barrel difference isn't much but I can't help but think that no matter how you slice it physics weigh on the side of the longer barrel for it being faster, and really who doesn't want something faster, weather its their bullet or their car?

7mm RemMag will suit you very well. I don't understand what people are talking about the .270 Win being similar to the 7mmRM, since they are 2 totally different animals and shoot 2 totally different weight bullet classes... The bullet diamters are very similar, but the bullet weights offered and the BC's available are heavier/higher for the 7mm calibers. But the 7mm RemMag and .300 WinMag are very similar. Either one should be just fine for you. My preference is the 7mm RemMag or the 7mm STW. And if you plan on reloading, they cost about the same, but the STW can handle more powder, pushing the heavy 180's faster than the 7mm RemMag.

The new Remington 700 Long Range is offered in 7mm RemMag and a 26" heavy barrel with a 1:9 twist. You would be able to shoot up to 180gr bullets with it, and the 26" heavy barrel will be excellent for LR shooting. It also comes in a B&C Medalist stock with an aluminum bedding block. For $650-750 it's hard to beat just based off the features it has. Of course, like almost any factory rifle, you will want to swap the trigger with a Timney or Jewell. And if you ever decided you wanted a 7mm STW, all you would have to do is have the chamber of your 7mm RemMag opened up to 7mm STW.

The 270 and 7 mag are closer to each other than the 7 mag is to the .300 the .270 has bullets available that range from 130s to 170 grn. And the 7mag ???
I never seen a 215- 230gr .284 bullet.. Trajectory to 500 yards are very simmilar when compared with similar weight bullets with the .270 and 7 mag.

The Remington 700 Long Range can be had in a 300 Win as well, it's chamber is very well suited to a 215 Berger right out of the box. It's a lot of gun for the dollar IMO, just needs a brake and trigger and some load work.

While I love the 7mm mags (a 7mm RM is the only big-game rifle in my stable right now), if I were buying one rifle and had to stick with it for awhile I'd choose the 300 Win mag. I had one and it was amazing. My 7mm RM has never let me down either.....

I'm thinking the 7mm will do anything i need to hunt minus big bears which is a long shot. I kinda have hopes of making a 7 stw eventually. I want a 300 magnum but i just think I would go for a 300 weatherby or maybe a 30-378, just to have some overkill. i have the thought that the long range is similar to the sendaro's just without all the bells and whistles? can anyone confirm that? I really like the Sendaro's but they are a little out of my budget with the wife and two kids and all the american dream, so i'm hoping i can sort of build one up to that. maybe I'm not on the right path. I appreciate all the insight you guys have.

I'm thinking the 7mm will do anything i need to hunt minus big bears which is a long shot. I kinda have hopes of making a 7 stw eventually. I want a 300 magnum but i just think I would go for a 300 weatherby or maybe a 30-378, just to have some overkill. i have the thought that the long range is similar to the sendaro's just without all the bells and whistles? can anyone confirm that? I really like the Sendaro's but they are a little out of my budget with the wife and two kids and all the american dream, so i'm hoping i can sort of build one up to that. maybe I'm not on the right path. I appreciate all the insight you guys have.
The Sendero and 700 LR are both offered in 7mm RemMag, which means you can open the chamber up to 7mm STW later on, if you like. And if that's what you're after, either rifle will be heading down the right path.

The Sendero and the 700 LR are VERY similar. About the only differences are one is stainless, one has a fluted barrel, and they have different brand and shape stocks. That's about it.

They both have the crappy lawyer-proof X-Mark Pro triggers in them, that will need to be replaced immediately.

The Sendero is stainless with a jeweled bolt, with a 26" fluted sendero/varmint contour barrel, and sits in an HS Precision stock with a full aluminum bed block.

The LR is blued, with a 26" non-fluted sendero/varmint contour barrel, and sits in a Bell & Carlson M40 stock with a full aluminum bed block.

The Remington 700 Long Range can be had in a 300 Win as well, it's chamber is very well suited to a 215 Berger right out of the box. It's a lot of gun for the dollar IMO, just needs a brake and trigger and some load work.

A friend got one from Sportman's in Helena but was not too lucky. He was trying to load 210s and got frustrated. He didn't want to spend any money for any gunsmith work so he sold it.

I'm thinking the 7mm will do anything i need to hunt minus big bears which is a long shot. I kinda have hopes of making a 7 stw eventually. I want a 300 magnum but i just think I would go for a 300 weatherby or maybe a 30-378, just to have some overkill.

I believe you are correct in that the 7mmRM provides an appropriate level of energy/velocity, given a few caveats (as you stated 'minus big bears'), for most species in the US - presuming excellent bullet placement.

Caveats;

1) bullet selection/performance is a huge factor particularly when you consider larger bodied animals
2) range to your quarry - the 7mmRM is great, but if your quarry is large and as the range becomes longer you are not stacking the advantages in your favor.

For me, a large fast 7mm is just right for short to medium range on large game (elk for me) and great for up to long range on small and medium game (deer, antelope).

For long range on large game I'm skipping .30 caliber entirely and choosing something from the large, fast 338 chamberings.

i have the thought that the long range is similar to the sendaro's just without all the bells and whistles? can anyone confirm that? I really like the Sendaro's but they are a little out of my budget with the wife and two kids and all the american dream, so i'm hoping i can sort of build one up to that. maybe I'm not on the right path. I appreciate all the insight you guys have.

The Sendero and 700 LR are both offered in 7mm RemMag, which means you can open the chamber up to 7mm STW later on, if you like. And if that's what you're after, either rifle will be heading down the right path.

The Sendero and the 700 LR are VERY similar. About the only differences are one is stainless, one has a fluted barrel, and they have different brand and shape stocks. That's about it.

They both have the crappy lawyer-proof X-Mark Pro triggers in them, that will need to be replaced immediately.

The Sendero is stainless with a jeweled bolt, with a 26" fluted sendero/varmint contour barrel, and sits in an HS Precision stock with a full aluminum bed block.

The LR is blued, with a 26" non-fluted sendero/varmint contour barrel, and sits in a Bell & Carlson M40 stock with a full aluminum bed block.

The Sendero is obviously a higher quality tier of rifle than the 700 LR so it comes with a higher price tag.

To me, choosing between Rem and Weatherby is in many ways a Ford vs Chevy discussion. As far as accuracy out of the box, there are other competitors to consider....

If the options are simply between Rem and Weathby, there are advantages with using a Rem 700 platform over a Weatherby - namely the sheer quantity of 'smiths who know how to tweak them due to the huge popularity of the Rem 700 platform and variety and quantity of aftermarket components.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.