Decisions..........HELP!!

pacowboy

I have a Remington 700 Action that currently holds a 25" barrel chambered for 6.5-300 Weatherby Wright Hoyer. I would like to rebarrel and restock it for a 16.5# bench gun/long range hunting rifle in a .30 caliber.

Some suggestions I have gotten are .300 Win Mag and Short Mag, .300 Weatherby, 300 Rum.

Looking to hear from some people that have had experience reloading all of these and more and the advantages and disadvantages of any of them.

Does the 300 WSM work well with 190-220gr bullets? I was looking at the Berger 210gr bullet for the starting target bullet and hear they are great on game as well.

I know this will probably open a can of worms but try to keep things civil guys. LOL

Thanks for any advice in advance.

if you are going 16.5# then go with the 300 RUM.
Has the most case capacity.
Might want to do some research on the 338 EDGE. Pure joy to shoot, and recoil would be nill in a 16.5# rifle.

I own a 300WSM and use the 208 A-Max. The 210grn in any match bullet is a great option also for this caliber. Because it is going to be specifically a bench gun I would put a 30" tube on it. With this length of barrel you will be able to push the 208's and 210's to 3000+ fps resulting in a great rifle for taking deer size game to 1200yrds and elk to about 900+ depending on elevation. I really like my 300WSM and the more I work with it and look at the possibilities for this caliber it really makes me helps to solidify my decision to move to this caliber. 180 to 210 is a great choice. Anything heavier then you would want to move up to the heavier calibers (300Weatherby, 300RUM, 30-338 Lapua, 300 Jazz, 30-416 Rigby). They are geared toward shooting the 220 to 240 grn bullets.

Tank

If you are going for a bench gun I assume that you will be doing a lot of shooting and barrel life will be important.

I would lean towards 300 win mag or 300 wsm for this.

The 300 wsm should handle the 210 berger well, so long as you can load it right out and it is not taking up powder space.

I assume that your action is a Long action, so the 300 wsm should be fine.

Stu.

+1 on the WSM. I have a .300 wm, and secretly wish it was a shortly. A little less powder and no belt to worry about. It gets my vote.

i have a question as to how or where to purchase a CheyTac M200. I am in the military with no criminal record or history and i can not find a place to purchase this rifle does anyone have any ideas as to where a purchase like this can be made.

i have a question as to how or where to purchase a CheyTac M200. I am in the military with no criminal record or history and i can not find a place to purchase this rifle does anyone have any ideas as to where a purchase like this can be made.

This is so off topic I have no idea how you posted it here? I sent you a PM

if your going to be sending lots of rounds down the yube then the 300 WSM hands down. If you want all out hunting rifle preformance then the 300 RUM is awsome. Just figure how many rounds you wanna get out of it before you re-barrel and that will give you your answer. I would also consider trueblue's advice and look at the edge.

Well to close of the topic the rifle is built. I went a whole different direction after I won a 300 Win Mag in a raffle.

First, I want to thank everyone for their friendly advice and not getting into a real ****ing match over the caliber. I know that can happen once in a while when everyone has their own favorites.

I gave the rifle to R W Hart and had it rebarrelled for 6.5x284 Win. Bobby also put on his new benchrest stock and a muzzle brake. Still working up on the "perfect" load but have shot a few times at Williamsport, PA with it. Best group to date is 10.8", shot a 14 in bad wind conditions this past Saturday and I have to take full blame for the group opening up to 10" on Sunday. I didn't have my sandbags situated properly or something cause the gun was jumping over to another target after the shots. I got flustered and started rushing my shots.My cousin has a Goodling rifle chambered in the same caliber, so we split to costs of larger quantities of bullets and powder ect.

I did take the 300 Winnie to Hart also and had him put a muzzle brake on that too. After shooting it a few times (standard Rem 700 hunting rifle) I didn't like the punishment.

I may use it at Reade Range in the factory 1000 yard shoot if they don't disqualify it for the muzzle brake being aftermarket. I don't know their regs yet on it.

Thanks again everyone.

PaCowboy
aka Tom Herren

I have a Remington 700 Action that currently holds a 25" barrel chambered for 6.5-300 Weatherby Wright Hoyer. I would like to rebarrel and restock it for a 16.5# bench gun/long range hunting rifle in a .30 caliber.

Some suggestions I have gotten are .300 Win Mag and Short Mag, .300 Weatherby, 300 Rum.

Looking to hear from some people that have had experience reloading all of these and more and the advantages and disadvantages of any of them.

Does the 300 WSM work well with 190-220gr bullets? I was looking at the Berger 210gr bullet for the starting target bullet and hear they are great on game as well.

I know this will probably open a can of worms but try to keep things civil guys. LOL

I like the 180s in my wsm

Attachments

• 4FD6BD1A-FF53-4181-B2D7-5D722DCD1742.jpeg
    4FD6BD1A-FF53-4181-B2D7-5D722DCD1742.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42

I really like the .300 WSM. I have found good accuracy and good performance with the 180gr Accubonds and Reloder 26.