Decisions and What to Do!

gibbscmc

Happy New Everyone! Let me start out by saying this is my first time on this site and I am definately likeing what im reading. I have decided to let a local gunsmith (extremely talented) build me a rifle. I primarily hunt but I ama definately facinated by long range targeting. In talking to the gunsmith and one other local gun enthusiast, they both recommended the 6.5mm x 55 swede. Especially since i was going to be hunting deer mostly, coyotes and mid size animals. They claim at 2500 to 2800 fps i couldnt go wrong. By the way, 2 to 400 yds is the furtherst i wil be shooting, so i know thats not a true "long range" but it is for me. Both claim its a deadly bullet with deep penetration especiall up to 300 yds. At 400 you have to compensate for the 19 inch drop. I was just about convinced to go with the 300 wsm or a 25-06, but now im not sure. My younger son will be shooting this as well. I want extreme accuracy.

If I go with the 6.5mm x 55, what size standard action can i use for the build. I will be using a model 70.

With all this here lies another question. What barrel would you guys recommend, I m leaning toward a Hart 1-9" if i go witha 6.5mm, but there are so many out there, ( pac-nor, shilen, spencer, etc.) and bear in mind, im trying to do this on some what of a budget. ( $250 to $450) for the barrel.

Please any inforomation will be useful and helpful. Thanks so much

Happy New Everyone! Let me start out by saying this is my first time on this site and I am definately likeing what im reading. I have decided to let a local gunsmith (extremely talented) build me a rifle. I primarily hunt but I ama definately facinated by long range targeting. In talking to the gunsmith and one other local gun enthusiast, they both recommended the 6.5mm x 55 swede. Especially since i was going to be hunting deer mostly, coyotes and mid size animals. They claim at 2500 to 2800 fps i couldnt go wrong. By the way, 2 to 400 yds is the furtherst i wil be shooting, so i know thats not a true "long range" but it is for me. Both claim its a deadly bullet with deep penetration especiall up to 300 yds. At 400 you have to compensate for the 19 inch drop. I was just about convinced to go with the 300 wsm or a 25-06, but now im not sure. My younger son will be shooting this as well. I want extreme accuracy.

If I go with the 6.5mm x 55, what size standard action can i use for the build. I will be using a model 70.

With all this here lies another question. What barrel would you guys recommend, I m leaning toward a Hart 1-9" if i go witha 6.5mm, but there are so many out there, ( pac-nor, shilen, spencer, etc.) and bear in mind, im trying to do this on some what of a budget. ( $250 to $450) for the barrel.

Please any inforomation will be useful and helpful. Thanks so much

WELCOME Gibbs! The 6.5x55 would be a good choice for what you want to do. I have a feeling if you are like most of us, you may soon want to shoot a lot farther than 400 yds.; however, and you might want to consider that in any decision you make.The 9 twist would be minimum for the long bullets and you might want to consider an 8 or 8.5. There are lots of good barrels out there for $300-$350, some of which you have mentioned. I would consider a Bartlein with the 5R rifling as well. It will take you at least 4 months to get a barrel from most of the good makers so order soon:D. As far as actions are concerned, the short actions should work i.e. .308 length, but make sure you have room in the magazine for seating the long bullets out (especially if you go with a longer throat) Your gunsmith can advise you on all of that. Good luck and again, WELCOME.....Rich:)

In talking to the gunsmith and one other local gun enthusiast, they both recommended the 6.5mm x 55 swede. Especially since i was going to be hunting deer mostly, coyotes and mid size animals.

Are you saying you haven't done much (if any) hunting? Do you currently own a rifle? What model and caliber? Have you practiced rifle marksmanship? Have you dressed out a deer?

Come back and talk about your skills and the conditions and terrain you might hunt in. Talking about cartridges, gunsmiths, and barrel manufactures won't likely yield the answers you need.

The 6.5x55 Swede is a good cartridge. So are dozens of others. None are "best", only more or less suitable for various situations.

Yes, I am an avid white tail hunter. I have several model 70, with my favorite being a Model 70 Laredo LRH 7mm mag. It has the heavy bull barrel with teh Boss. The last year Winnchest made the rifle.

Im in the great state of georgia, so the terrain i usually hunt presents shots of 250 yds or less, how ever i do have the oppurtunity to take longer ones depending on the situation and set up.

I hope this answers your question Mr. LouBoyd.

thank you for your reply and any additional iformation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the input guys. Now another question, i really like what all I have read so far on the 6.5mm-55 swede, im finding a lot of the forums refer to going with the 6.5mm-284,. However i do not reload,, at this time, and never have,, but it seems thts the way to go to get even more accuracy.

If they suggest going with a magnum, then what would you recommend, I like the thoughts of the 300wsm, and can get the action in a model 70 relatively at a good price?

Have no fear in choosing a 6,5x55.
This is my Sako Finnbear with a McMillan stock, Shilen 1:9 barrel, 6.5x55 with 140gr Amax. Picked up the rifle secondhand and no work is done on it other than a new barrel when the old was shot out. As you are a hunter and not a benchrester any of the quality barrels you quote should give you all the accuracy you can wring out of a rifle when hunting.

normal_1000m.jpg

800 meters/ 875 yards
normal_800m_6%2C5x55.jpg

800 meters/ 875 yards
normal_800m_5_sk_senter_6%2C5x55.jpg

1005 meters/ 1099 yards
normal_6%2C5x55%2C_1000m__Q930%2C_15C_107_klikk%2C_3_spinn_-_3_vind.JPG

I've shot in the area of 100 deer/game with this calibre??? Not quite sure anymore, last 100'ish has been with .270 and 6mm's but going back to the 6,5x55 again now. A friend is a professional hunter and dropped about 140 last year between his two rifles in 308 and 6,5x55. To quote him "only lost one deer to the 6,5, most doesnn't even walk when you shoot the shoulder..."

You will not gain any accuracy in selecting the 6,5x284 over the 6,5x55 for the ranges you quote. Bullets in the 120-140gr range is very good for this calibre. My personal preference is the 120gr Nosler BT , 140gr Hornady Amax or Sierra 140gr Gameking. Cheap, accurate bullets that kills very well. If you want to shoot bigger game than there you have several modern bonded bullets available.

I would discourage you to get a magnum as the 6,5x55 is a very soft shooter and a killer at range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.