Decapping rod broken

jtaustin

I was full length resizing and decapping my 300WM Nosler brass using RCBS die with a 83 stamped on it. I must have been careless keeping a cartridge in line and the decapping rod got broken off. The question is I have the RCBS dies for 30-06 and am wondering if the decapping rod is interchangeable with the 300WM? The 30-06 die is stamped 71. I don't want to introduce any variable into my reloading for upcoming Co elk hunt.
Thanks for any help.

I was full length resizing and decapping my 300WM Nosler brass using RCBS die with a 83 stamped on it. I must have been careless keeping a cartridge in line and the decapping rod got broken off. The question is I have the RCBS dies for 30-06 and am wondering if the decapping rod is interchangeable with the 300WM? The 30-06 die is stamped 71. I don't want to introduce any variable into my reloading for upcoming Co elk hunt.
Thanks for any help.
Same

Thanks for any help.
I had the same thing happen with a .223 RCBS die. Totally my fault. I contacted RCBS and they sent a pack of replacement pins, no charge. Had a similar incident when I lost my small funnel die for my RCBS Powder measure. Same thing when I contacted RCBS. They shipped a new one, no charge. I found the small funnel in my .44 mag die case of all places. Never thought to look there! LOL.

I had one break FL sizing a Norma brass case. Replaced it with a spare and broke it again on the second case. Inspection showed that the flash holes were off center. I punched out the remaining primers with a Lee deprimer tool and inspected the rest. I found one more. 3 cases out of 100 had to be retired.

Check the rod too in case it got bent. I did that with 7rm and they sent out a new one. I wouldn't trust being able to straighten it precisely.

Last edited:
Ma
I had one break FL sizing a Norma brass case. Replaced it with a spare and broke it again on the second case. Inspection showed that the flash holes were off center. I punched out the remaining primers with a Lee deprimer tool and inspected the rest. I found one more. 3 cases out of 100 had to be retired.
major "bummer" on the off center flash holes.

Last edited:
jt, if you don't reload a large number of rounds, perhaps invest in a Lee decapping die. They are much stronger than most and will decap most calibers. I've removed all the pins from my dies. Yes it's another step, but a bit more precise and saves breaking pins. Good luck

Has happened lots to me, ended up ordering a pack of decapping pins from RCBS. They have worked Great for me.
crimped 223 primer pockets have taken their toll…

jt, if you don't reload a large number of rounds, perhaps invest in a Lee decapping die. They are much stronger than most and will decap most calibers. I've removed all the pins from my dies. Yes it's another step, but a bit more precise and saves breaking pins. Good luck
The Lee universal decapping die is an excellent tool esp, for under $13 (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011183740/)

I also use a Lee decap die. I spun the pin portion with my cordless and used a Dremel to grind & reduce the diameter of the pin for use with 6.5X47 Lapua brass. I have been using the same tool for over 30 years and my size dies have no decap pins. .

When my 338 Federal pin broke I just used my 270 sizer die with the decapping PIN all the way out when I was in Alaska and couldn't find anything on the shelf...