deathly accurate electronic scale?

stick man

I have a question about e-scales, first off I'm loading several different cartridges, and have a good grasp on what I'm doing, but I'm by no means going to call myself an expert. The reason this comes up is loading for my 17 Hornady Hornet. Small case, and it seems that I might be able to get a bit better extreme spread if the powder is measured with utmost consistancy.

While punching paper, I have got a load that shoots lights out at 200 yards, and I'm able to get 1/2" 5 shot groups. My problem is the extream spread on the chrono. 79 feet per second is the lowest I have been able to get, with an average around 105, on most strings. My load is AA 1680, and that is what has wroked the best so far. I have also tryed Hodgdon LilGun, H110, IMR 4227. All with worse ES!

Now, don't laugh at me too hard, my current scale is an RCBS 5-0-5, and has served me well for 25 years from my 22-250 to my 300 Win Mag. But as the cases get bigger the extra kernal or five of powder don't make a difference, but at 12.3 grains it seems to. FYI fired case capicty is 13.1 grains of water.

All of the commercial scales seem to have a + - of 1/10, I was wondering if there was an option of one with 1/100 or even 1/1000? Also 500 would be my budget. Also names of manufacturers or company's that sell them.

The little gun shoots great, and I understand its not a benchrest gun or even a real good coyote gun past 200, but man is it cheap to load! The little 20 grain pill makes for good practice reading the wind currents, which helps me with the bigger guns.

I have been told to just shut up and shoot, but I have the stuff so I will fart around with it. Its just what I do!

Thanks for your help, and sorry about the long thread.

I can't help you, but it sounds like a cool little rifle, and you're having fun, that's what counts. Good luck with your search.

If I had a rifle shooting 1/2" for 5 rounds at 200 yds i wouldn't care what a lieing chrony said. I'd be looking at your chrony before blaming your scale. Any chance you know someone with a proven chrony? Set the 2 of them up back to back and see if it truely is your chrony - your field results wouldn't give you 1/2" groups with that much ES.

Cowboy, i have already stacked 2 chronos, and they were within 5 feet per second of each other so that was good enough for me. Also on my bigger shooters my chrono has never steered me wrong, most ES on my hunting sticks are around 25 to 35 , not what some of you guys get but okay for me.

Like I said I just like to play with stuff. I did order a gempro. Should be here next week, and a heck of a lot less than I thought I would have to shell out.

On the 1/2" groups at 200, evidently I am just wiggling right or something, because there is no way it should be possable with 100 fps difference. Little 20 grain bullets get shoved by the slightest breeze, and Im not too sure thermals wont mess with them just as bad.

I want to thank you all for your help!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.