Dead on at 100yds 4inches right at 400yds

I think you should change nothing. Go shoot a 5 shot group at 100, and a 5 shot group at
Shot this group yesterday 1st pic. Shot same load today after zeroing at 100yds 2nd pic

Which one is at 100 and which at 400? And were any changes made in the scope between the two targets?

Nothing wrong with the gear. New shooter, missed a condition, or didn't account for it. Hold 1 minute left, problem solved.

Last edited:
No I don't . How much will wind effect the poi at 400yds
Depending on your air temp and altitude a 5-6 mph gust (that you may not have felt) would push you 3.5-3.75 plus any spin drift (likely around .25), plus and slight right cant you may be doing with your grip on the rifle.

I just came back from the range today. I zeroed two .35 Whelens, two 300wms and two 30-06es. I shot at 100, 300, 400 and 500 yards. Wind changes were: 5mph L to R, 12 mph R to L, 5 mph from rear, 14 mph from rear, 12 mph half value R to L. and a few others. Impact varied without adjusting from 100 yard windage from 6" right of target at 500 to 12-15 inches left of aimpoint at 500 yards with both of two different 300 wms. Hits at 300 yards varied from 1 inch right to 3 inches left of center when not adjusting for the wind. Rounds chronographed at 3030 ave. from a 26" barrel and 2880 from a 24" barrel. The wind drift for the -06es was greater due to lower initial velocities(around 2630fps with 180 grain Sierras). The thing to note is that there was no adjustment for windage, so impact was perfect vertically but left or right depending on wind direction and velocity. Two or three times, the wind shifted in the middle of a group. To finish up, I dialed windage in for one of my 300s and shot a 9" and a 6" steel plate at 500 yards. I did the same for a .35 and an 03A3 that's scoped with a Shepherd 3X10. Its the wind. It isn't the shooter, it isn't the rifle, it isn't the scope, it isn't scope alignment, its the wind. A 3 to 4 mph wind left to right will drift your 300's bullet 2.5 to 3.5 inches at 400 yards every time. Its the wind. I was shooting on the Ben Lomand gun club range near Calhan Colorado, from a sandbag rested position, a heavy duty wooden bench. At 400 yards, I had a 2.5 inch drift with a 5mph wind and a 4.5 inch drift with a 12mph wind using the two 300 Winchester Magnums and 180 grain Nosler BTs. Spin drift wouldn't be noticeable at 400 yards(less than an inch).

It seems, your equipment is OK but I would get of the bench and get in the dirt and shoot more ranges. A RH shooter, atlas pod and a bench will pull right but it can be consistent to the point of looking great till you get the bipod firmed up and holding correctly.

I would also shoot both dialing and then re shoot using hold over, this will compare the reticle against the internals of the optic.

WIND, walk the range with a meter and hang flagging till you know what's going on.

I just came back from the range today. I zeroed two .35 Whelens, two 300wms and two 30-06es. I shot at 100, 300, 400 and 500 yards. Wind changes were: 5mph L to R, 12 mph R to L, 5 mph from rear, 14 mph from rear, 12 mph half value R to L. and a few others. Impact varied without adjusting from 100 yard windage from 6" right of target at 500 to 12-15 inches left of aimpoint at 500 yards with both of two different 300 wms. Hits at 300 yards varied from 1 inch right to 3 inches left of center when not adjusting for the wind. Rounds chronographed at 3030 ave. from a 26" barrel and 2880 from a 24" barrel. The wind drift for the -06es was greater due to lower initial velocities(around 2630fps with 180 grain Sierras). The thing to note is that there was no adjustment for windage, so impact was perfect vertically but left or right depending on wind direction and velocity. Two or three times, the wind shifted in the middle of a group. To finish up, I dialed windage in for one of my 300s and shot a 9" and a 6" steel plate at 500 yards. I did the same for a .35 and an 03A3 that's scoped with a Shepherd 3X10. Its the wind. It isn't the shooter, it isn't the rifle, it isn't the scope, it isn't scope alignment, its the wind. A 3 to 4 mph wind left to right will drift your 300's bullet 2.5 to 3.5 inches at 400 yards every time. Its the wind. I was shooting on the Ben Lomand gun club range near Calhan Colorado, from a sandbag rested position, a heavy duty wooden bench. At 400 yards, I had a 2.5 inch drift with a 5mph wind and a 4.5 inch drift with a 12mph wind using the two 300 Winchester Magnums and 180 grain Nosler BTs. Spin drift wouldn't be noticeable at 400 yards(less than an inch).
Thank you

I have a nephew in Michigan. I know he'd like a hunting buddy. Let me know where in Michigan and I'll try to hook you up with him if you want to. Send it to me by clicking on my name and it won't be on the public site.

I was going to suggest you make a vertical line at 100 and twist elevation turret up 8 MOA to see if it stays on the line but another poster beat me to it with Darrel Holland's old post.

It would be interesting to see what your rifle's POI is at 100, 200, 300 and 400.

I started from scratch yesterday. Made sure everything was tight to spec zeroed at 100yds. Then did the tall target test went up 12 moa shot was right on. Went to 400yds ranged with sig kilo did what it said and bingo right on. The only thing I changed was i shot off of bags instead of bipod.

I started from scratch yesterday. Made sure everything was tight to spec zeroed at 100yds. Then did the tall target test went up 12 moa shot was right on. Went to 400yds ranged with sig kilo did what it said and bingo right on. The only thing I changed was i shot off of bags instead of bipod.
Looks like you're good. Have a good hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.