DE 338 EDGE - for Down Under Hunter

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
WEBSTERRIFLE1.JPG

Here is a rifle I just finished for Down Under Hunter in 338 Edge.

Rem 700 Action
Hart 30" fluted 1-10 barrel
DE Brake
DE Cheekpiece
Wyatt's box mag
NF LW Rings
NF Base 8-40 Screws
HS Precision stock
NF 5.5-22 NXS

WEBSTERRIFLE2.JPG

Last edited:
SC-.....Simply sick !!! What else can I say ?

I just want to say what a pleasent experience it has been dealing with you Shawn ! Thanks so much for your expert advice and guidance towards the finished project. It looks as good as I knew it would !!

Cheers

DUH

The chamber has been cut to suit the 265 rbbt wildcat bullet at 3.995 OAL. Second choice round will be 300 smk at 3.775 OAL. Barrel is sendero taper, designed to get it in a packable weight of all up sub 14 lbs fully equiped. Hopefully it will shoot as good as it looks !!

Thanks

DUH

Nice work, Shawn.

I really need to drop in and see you on a trip to MT as I go right by you on I-90.

Could you tell me a bit more about the taper for this barrel? Is it as light as you'd care to go for, say, a 1200-1300 yard hunting rifle?

Thanks,

Jon

It is a Hart 30" Sendero taper fluted. They have in the 6 or 7 I have built like this, shoot very well. The rifle without optics weighs 9.4 lbs. The only down side to this is heavier guns don't always shoot better, but are usually easier to shoot. Heavier rifles are easier to sdpot your own hits with. With that being said the thing this rifle will do the most is be carried. So for a rifle to drag about, still have serious long range legs this is in my opinion the best option. If you are more of a short pack, static position hunter a heavier rifle may be more to your liking.

It is a Hart 30" Sendero taper fluted. They have in the 6 or 7 I have built like this, shoot very well. The rifle without optics weighs 9.4 lbs. The only down side to this is heavier guns don't always shoot better, but are usually easier to shoot. Heavier rifles are easier to sdpot your own hits with. With that being said the thing this rifle will do the most is be carried. So for a rifle to drag about, still have serious long range legs this is in my opinion the best option. If you are more of a short pack, static position hunter a heavier rifle may be more to your liking.
Thanks. That's what I was wondering about. Seemed like a pretty good combination for a carry rifle. I'll have to stop by with a rifle or two and chamber reamer sometime.

Gamedog,

I appreciate your very generous offer !, however.. Its has to put some backsteaks in my freezer before this month is out. I'm glad you like the gun. I'll keep you posted on its performance, not that I have anything to worry about when the gun will shoot well inside the inch box with 3 shots at 300 yards with the 300 smk. I hope I can hold it as steady as Mr Carlock !

Nice! Even looks like a hunting rifle ( many here dont ). What's the .338 edge ammo look like and whats your website so I can research it a little more. I bet the 30"bbl reches out there. Nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts