Dbm?

Jeremy338

Has anyone noticed in the larger caliber rifles 338/375 flattened tips on Bullets in the mag after firing a shot. It's happened a few times now. Curious how to prevent this. Thinking a thin rubber strip in the mag. Just worried about coal

Its a common problem in high recoiling calibers, Without a heavy roll crimp, some revolver cartridges will back the remaining bullets out of the case a little with each firing, having an increasing effect on each successive shot. Sorry, no corrective advice. Metal magazine? Would a polymer one be better. Perhaps a thin plastic buffer made of UHMW or plastic shim stock?

I run Berger and cutting edge. Yes metal mags. Pretty much standard long range rifle equipment. My 338 Norma and 375 Cheytac both have had this issue

The only real solutions are to either increase clearance, or decrease recoil. Adding a buffer material of some kind will reduce the clearance and likely cause the bullets to drag in the magazine and give you feeding problems.

It may also push the bullet back into the case a few thousandths as my buddy's .338 Norma with the tipped Badlands Bulldozers. My rifles shoot better with light neck tension so I don't crimp but I leave rounds for bears in the mag but single feed when shooting. I run 4" Wyatt's in my Edge and RUMs.

Has anyone noticed in the larger caliber rifles 338/375 flattened tips on Bullets in the mag after firing a shot. It's happened a few times now. Curious how to prevent this. Thinking a thin rubber strip in the mag. Just worried about coal
Find a smith that can install recoil shoulders in your magazine. Recoil shoulders are thin strips of metal that are placed on the internal sides of a magazine and contact the shoulder of the cartridge to prevent them from moving forward on recoil. They can be trial installed with small screws and then when you are positive of the position, tig welded or high temp silver soldered.

I've done this for my 338 Norma DBMs and it works very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.