DBM Feeding Issue

jd5521

I have a 7 saum built on a surgeon 591 that has a notched feed ramp. My issue is that I have my cartridges loaded short enough, however, after it seems that when I chamber the first round it pushes the second round forward just enough that the tip of the bullet just catches the feed ramp on the way up. This in turn happens to the other rounds in sequence. Is there something I can do to the magazine itself to where the rounds do not have so much tension against one another to prevent this and have them stay more in place. These are new Accurate Mag WSM magazines but I keep them loaded in an attempt to "loosen" the spring up but that hasn't helped.

Last edited:
Anyway you can slide something thin into the front of the mag to keep you cartridge back?

Anyway you can slide something thin into the front of the mag to keep you cartridge back?
I guess that's a possibility but I wouldn't know how I would keep it in place of the tip of a bullet had enough force against it that it wouldn't make it slide up with the bullet. Nor would I know what material to use so that it wouldn't interfere with the front of the follower. Suggestions?

I have a 7 saum built on a surgeon 591 that has a notched feed ramp. My issue is that I have my cartridges loaded short enough, however, after it seems that when I chamber the first round it pushes the second round forward just enough that the tip of the bullet just catches the feed ramp on the way up. This in turn happens to the other rounds in sequence. Is there something I can do to the magazine itself to where the rounds do not have so much tension against one another to prevent this and have them stay more in place. These are new Accurate Mag WSM magazines but I keep them loaded in an attempt to "loosen" the spring up but that hasn't helped.
Might need a different follower or maybe spread the front of the feed lips a little

Thanks I will try opening the feed lips up some. As for different mags there isn't a whole lot out there for SA saum/wsm cartridges. I tried a buddies alpha wsm mag and had same issue. Accurate and Alpha are the only two wsm short action ai mags I know of. If there are others I'm open to trying them if the feed lip idea doesn't work.

Fixed first dilemma now I have another. I have three loads I'm working up. One with Berger 175 elite hunters, one with 162 eldx and one with 175 eldx. With live rounds the the volt will not extrat the bergers. It will only extract the Hornady rounds? Why would this be? If I fire the Berger's they will extract..

Fixed first dilemma now I have another. I have three loads I'm working up. One with Berger 175 elite hunters, one with 162 eldx and one with 175 eldx. With live rounds the the volt will not extrat the bergers. It will only extract the Hornady rounds? Why would this be? If I fire the Berger's they will extract..
Is it possible your berger are seated deeper into the rifling enough they could be sticling. David

If the brass is all the same, it really does sound like the Bergers are engaging the lands?
I would mark the ogive with a marker and make sure you dont have land marks.

Brass stays in chamber. All brass is new Norma and all is the same length. I am not engaging the lands I am sure of that.
Sounds like you may have a tight neck chamber and maybe the berger is expanding the neck a little differently maybe causing it to stick but also sounds like you have a slight problem with your extracter. David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.