day trip food

retiredcpo

What do you guys carry in your day pack for long day trips?
Just looking to see if I can get some new ideas.
dehydrated stuff work work to well since I wont have a stove
retiredcpo

I'm on a pretty strict diet (most of the year if I'm not slacking) and have to eat 4k calories or more during hunts to not lose too much weight. I make my own trial mix with stuff from the local health food store; peanuts, cashews, dried cranberries, apples and raisins. I haul alot of canned stuff at times; canned ravoli, canned corn, bush's baked beans, chilli. Metrx protien bars in the apple pie flavor are really good. Peanut butter and granola bars go really well together. This year I'm gonna try something new. I'm gonna use a little bit out of peanut butter in a jar and fill it with honey. Mix it up and eat it with a spoon. It should last a while and be packed with calories. I prefer skippy's natural peanut butter when it is on sale. I haul hard boiled eggs sometimes. Ive divvied up bread, pb, and jellly before too between two guys. That goes over pretty well. I make jerky in the summertime, but not too much is left over for late season hunts.

I used to catch a lot of flak from hunting buddies about hauling canned corn. Most of them have hauled it since.

I try to eat stuff that lasts a while. I rarely unpack my hunting pack during hunting season. Its easier if I can leave canned food in there and use it next time. Eggs are bad to forget about, but they are really cheap especialy for protein.

I used to carry a ziplock bag with minute rice(dry)and a small bottle of Picante sauce, just add water and picante sauce and place under your shirt in your arm pit for about a half hour and you have a filling warm lunch. Sounds strange but works. And you can add any number of things to mix it up like jerky, tuna, summer sausage. Simple easy and not much trash to carry out.

Last edited:
I almost always include a couple pieces of fruit, trail mix and jerky in my backpack. If there is any chance it might stretch to an overnight trip, I'll throw in a bag of tuna (or salmon) and a protein bar or two.

I usually only take some jerky, a couple of candy bars, some hard candy maybee a granola bar and a apple in my pocket
But I usually dont go very far or long This year a drew a really good buck tag
and could be going 4 0r 5 miles a day and be gone all day
so iM just looking for some new light weight ideas
retiredcpo

I always try to carry jerky, high protein and doesn't go bad. I also always have different kinds of protein bars, try and find ones that won't melt and make a mess. Usually have granola bars and some kind of nuts with me also. I have carried the vacuum packed bags of tuna or salmon as well, easier than cans. Apples seem to pack better than other kinds of fruit and are more satiating than fruit with a lot of sugar. Carbs are not nearly as important as having protein especially if you were to get stuck out for the night, but of course carbs tend to be a lot tastier. If you are looking for a small emergency type ration sardines would be very hard to beat for nutrient density and are very packable.

I have a friend that will eat PB&J or other things on a tortilla, not my favorite thing but tortillas dont get smashed and take up less space if you like them and have to have some kind of bread.

Let me toss out a somewhat contrarian idea - fat.

Assuming that the temperature is not going to get over 80 degrees F, I personally bring coconut butter, sometimes with macadamia nuts mixed in. Coconut butter is 70% coconut oil with lots of medium chain triglycerides and 30 percent coconut meal.

Nutiva sells theirs as Coconut Manna. My wife and I prefer Artisana brand but each is very similar.

You can get these products at health food type stores or online.

Canned raviolis are good and easy, smoked oysters. CLIF bars. Jerky. Nature valley granola bars. If i can stop by a grocery store on the way out of town and grab a rotissery chicken, those taste great and are easy to wrap in wax paper and pack in.

I carry Cliff bars for a good compact fuel source and like the peanut butter ones the best. None of them are real tasty though, so I always like to have jerky to eat with them. The jerky leaves a much better aftertaste.

My son turned me onto a mixture of peanut butter and whey protein powder. It was pretty good. Like permaculture I agree that fat is important in a satisfying diet.

Has anyone tried using an MRE heaters for self prepared foods. I tried the minute rice under the arm trick. It never got better than luke warm. I am going to see if a ziplock bag can stand up to the MRE heater. If so the MRE heaters are pretty inexpensive and light weight.

I think a food saver bag would stand up to an MRE heater. Just not sure how you would seal it off when you have your stuff in it.

Corey

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.