Day at the range with W-W 6.5 Stayball

Iron Worker

Just back from the range burning 6.5 Staball in 3 cartridges
22/250 55gr sierra SPBT 42.5grs average velocity 3885 FPS 26"cut rifled bbl Spectacular accuracy 3/8ths groups 100 yds 40.6 grs behind 60gr Sierra TMK again under 1/2 inch 5 shot groups average Velocity 3700 FPS. 220 Swift 1885 28" Octagon bbl,couldn't use Magnetto Chron . But 43grs of 6.5 Staball again produced under 1/2 inch groups with 55gr Speer TNT. 6mm Creedmoor 5/10ths below Max charge 42.8 pushing 115 DTACs locked up the bolt on my custom Rem 700 . I'll back that off a couple of grs and try again. All and all thumbs up for 6.5 Stay Ball

Iron Worker, is there any chance you'll be trying some Nosler 70gr Ballistic Tips in your 6CM with the StaBall 6.5 powder???

Johnnys reloading bench on YouTube did a temp stability test, for this powder. It still is not as good as i would think it would be for a powder that's advertised as being temp stabile

No . My bbl is an 8"twist, also the powder is best with heavier bullets . I'd suggest trying W-W 760 for 70gr bullets.
Mine 6CM build will be using a 20in 9tw Proof barrel and those 70gr BT's with RL16 will probably be what I try first, but I think that new StaBall 6.5 will work well with pretty much all of the different bullet weights in the Creedmoor size cases. Being that it's a ball powder, running out of room in the case and not being able to get enough in there, shouldn't be a problem like some of the other stick powders.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.