Dave King, Where can I hunt tohse "real" Wild Boar?

G

Dave, I have read some of you posts on Boar hunting. I am looking to hunt the real deal. Not those pen raised hogs.

Also, What is the difference between a wild boar and a ferel hog?

Thanks

John M. and Dave King,

I don't mean to horn in on the discussion but thought I would post this link to answer the question on the difference between Wild Boar and Feral Hogs. This tracks with what I heard as I grew up - namely true Russian Boar were imported around the turn of the last century for sport hunting.

Anyway, please see the link, its an interesting read.
http://www.texasboars.com/facts.html
null

Happy New Year All!

I hunt the wild boars in Knox County Texas with Ed Tibljas of Triangle "T" Outfitters, there are also other outfitters in that area that offer wild boar hunts. I believe Ian hunted on the Nail Ranch with in just to the South of where I hunt.

The wild boars Russian types are a lot of fun to hunt, they're tough and smart. I'd not recommend trying to cook a large boar, last time I brought some home my wife was none to pleased. The smaller hogs are great but the big ones are a "little gamey" and unless you have a good receipe for "pungent urine hog" I'd leave them in the field for the buzzards.

"Boar taint" is a problem with domestic hogs,too. That's why their castrated young if they're to be market hogs.

The earliest explorers brought swine to North America. Some got loose. Now you can "see a real wild hog" throughout much of the South, where there are a pest.

I got the chance in the mid-'80s to work with the Florida DNR and the National Pork Board in studying wild pigs in Florida. The issue was a communicable disease in wild pigs called pseudorabies, or Aujesky's disease. It's a threat to domestic hog raising because wild pigs will approach domestic pigs, especially if it's a female in heat.

Anyway, feral swine are domestic swine that have gone wild. All wild swine in North America are from domestic stock (but not peccaries (javelina)). I am very suspicious of anything called a "Russian wild boar." Some pigs are just hairier than others.

There was a great story out of Texas about 15 years ago where wild swine were coming up out of the gullies at night and biting heifers in the vulva. This made the cows ****, which gave the pigs a hot lunch.

It also gave the cows pseudorabies, which killed them.

The government's response was to hunt the pigs from helicopters with machine guns.

Now THAT is a hunt I'd pay for.

kk

KK,

The Government here still pays a few hunters each year to hunt coyote from Airplanes with shotguns.

It sounds like fun, and I'd love to try it. But I may never find a pilot I'd trust enough to fly me that close to the ground at those angles.

How much do they pay?
cool.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.