Daughters new gun build MAYBE

The vanguard it a better buy than the savage or the rem 700. It has integral recoil lug, m16 extractor, fluted one piece bolt etc. I have heard from the smiths who have worked on them that the dimension's are more precise than either of the a fore mentioned actions as well.

I shoot nothing now except Savages. Kind of an agreement between my wife and I. I'm a gunsmith want to be. I love to buy factory rifles (new/used) and tinker to get them to shoot as best I can. Once I get them shooting, I tend to loose interest and move on to the next project. Usually selling the last rifle at a loss. I bought a new Savage FP 10 308, dropped it into a Bell and Carlson stock and shot .5-.75" groups. Sold that dang thing right away at a loss (no fun trying to get that to shoot). Went back to my Ruger Hawkeye, tinkered with that for a few months, then bought another Savage a FV 12 .223. I bedded the action into the factory stock (every one knows, those things are Tupperware), knew it wouldn't shoot prone off of a bipod.To hedge my chances, I got my 12 year old son to shoot it first ( told the wife I was buying it for him). Dang kid shot a .7" 5 shot group with the very first load we worked up. I was consistently hitting at a 1000 yards in good wind conditions. I hated that one to so I sold it (wishing I had it back now). Back to my Ruger (I actually do love this rifle, I am a crf guy). Well to make a long story short, a couple more Savages just to make sure I just didn't have bad luck and guess what, not one would shoot over MOA.
Well then the wife got involved.Once she found out I could switch out almost every part myself on a savage, and change calibers to boot. She said honey don't you think it would be cheaper to just stick with a Savage and change the parts when you got bored with it. I said, "dear, sorry that is a horrible idea". Savages are not crf, they are made from to many stamped metal pieces, it'll break so often, we live in the desert, the dust will wear it out so fast! It will COST so much to keep repaired! I got back, "Well DEAR, this is the deal, if you want to keep shooting and playing with rifles, start with the Savage of your choice and keep it till it either breaks or stops shooting accurately enough for you, THEN and only then will we talk about another rifle". Bought a Savage 16 7mm WSM (that was 3 years ago). That is a sporter barrel (I'll teach the wife a quick lesson to think she knows more than me about my hobby.) Dropped it into a Choate Tactical stock (love this stock). Just came in the door from shooting a .7" group at 100 yards with Hornady hunting bullets. Well maybe since I shoot every weekend in harsh dusty conditions it will break (what do you think).
Oh, and by the way DO NOT buy a Savage if you are married, on a budget with a family and want a custom. Tried to pass that one by the wife to. Honey I shoot so much, I think it is time I owned a custom. She says back, Ok Dear, what will that get you. I said, the accuracy I need to shoot long range. She askes me, "Honey can I see that target you showed me from last weekend again please". I just hung my head and walked away.

I thought about a Weatherby vanguard to build but there again i dint know how truely good that action is to build on. I want to build her a nice accurate rifle she can keep for the rest of her life but then again do i want o go full on custom and sink 4-? thousand in it? I want to get started now but i mull stuff over to long i hate to say what a waste if u know what i mean. What action would u guys build off of?

This is what I would consider:

Buy a new S2 Vanguard. Great rifles, accurate as can be. $549 shipped, possibly less at a retailer near you:
Weatherby Vanguard 2 257 WBY Mag 24" w/Ship : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

If your 14 yr old daughter is like mine, and it sounds like she is, think about a Hogue youth stock purchased through Legacy Sports International (the Howa people). The are about $120 to your door, and you can't buy them from Hogue.
Legacy Sports - Contact

With not a lot of effort you can bed the recoil lug of the Vanguard in the Howa stock even though the stock is plastic. If you want, you can have a Weatherby Accubrake or a different brake installed on the rifle. The Vanguard I put together like this shoots well under 1 MOA with factory ammo.

I will suggest that you now have a platform you can use as she grows. Eventually you can upgrade the stock or even the barrel, and it will still be her "same" rifle.

Good luck!

U know i really like weatherbys. I own several already. I like the Vangard idea alot. I mean i know i want to put a brake on it for her. Maybe i will check around for one or just order it.

On the other hand I had my gun smith order a stiller action and barrel already but neither has shipped or i would have got a email I may cancel that.

You know i hate deciding which way to go. I am looking at 4K give or take for a custom and then the Vangard at worst 2-3K scope included. The only thing i know for sure either way the rifle she gets will be wearing the same scope as my 300 ultra the Huskemaw blue diamond.

I actually considered braking my Mark V ultralight to give to her but then my FAVORITE deer gun would be gone to her and the chances of getting it back would be slim and u know i cant have that :)

So let me ask a question about the Vangard what are the available choices for tirggers and has anyone installed one they really like. I love the idea of the stock tho that is good to know....

Thanks for all the answers that is why I ask here...

The new S2 trigger is very nice.

The original Vanguard trigger is usually tunable, but you can always swap one of those for a Timney. I don't think they have one yet for the S2.

As much as I love my daughters I have no idea how much they will want to hunt in another few years. As such, I can't currently see spending money on an expensive rifle for them and they like their Vanguard just fine.

U know if i was talking about my oldest daughter i would agree with u on the not sure what they want. She started out hunting then it turned uncool to her friends but my 13yr old is another story. She absolutely loves it growing up when her friends were playing with dolls and such Tay was consumed with hunting just like she is today. She counts down to the start of the next season just like now. I work a ton of hours I dont turn down overtime ever so we are going out turkey hunting tomorrow for the first time this year now she has killed 3 nice long beards already but she has been in my ear saying when we going baby. I am letting her skip school tomorrow it is going to be a bright sunshining day so hopefullt the birds are talking. Any way back to the rifle I figue it this way to if she decides in a few years she does not want to hunt or shoot I can re-stock it and use it myself and can u ever have to many rifles???

wel fellas thanks for the info I will let u know how the build goes.

We all have our favorite factory stuff and seem to feel the need to defend it as the greatest ever but this gun is hers, she knows what a custom action, tube and stock mean by now, fit that gun to her in every way. If she wants flaming pink and purple parts, make it happen, what every she wants making it her rifle, custom or factory which ever she wants!!!

My daughter is 8 but loves to shoot with me and I intend to make every effort possible to make shooting and hunting with her old man something she chooses to do regularly, she watched me cut about 3inches of a brand new pink laminate stock the other day and she asked why I did that and when I explained that it was so the stock would fit her she swelled up a little and you could see she knew the rifle was only for her!

Thank god she likes OD green and camo. Together me and her rebuilt a little 2wd toyota now its 4wd dual transfer cases lifted locked the whole 9 yards. The best part was when it came to painting it I told her all along that it was going to be her truck and she picked Desert Tan and flat black for colors she made daddy proud.

It was funny u said get what she wants well she has told me she wants a sendero. I have another completely stock sendero that i had to send back to remington because when u shot it u could not remove the brass from the chamber. Remington fixed it all and sent it back and it works like a champ. I am considering rebarreling it to 257 WTBY mag. I almost bought a savage 116 the other day to build her gun off of. I may just say heck with it and go with the remington.

Thanks as always for the advice

I have the pictures of the truck and i cant get them to post... I about to toss this computer for distance....

I will keep trying u will like the truck she tells everyone that it going to be hers when she is 16 and if she still wants it then i am sure daddy will give in...

I have the pictures of the truck and i cant get them to post... I about to toss this computer for distance....

I will keep trying u will like the truck she tells everyone that it going to be hers when she is 16 and if she still wants it then i am sure daddy will give in...

I use photo bucket, I have an 02 wj I am going to build up when my wife gets her new car. How the rifle hunt coming along?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.