Daughters new bear rifle

257WTBY

I recently bought my daughter a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in 280 Rem. I put a Leuplod Ultra Light scope on it for her. She is 14 shes not a small girl as she is big into sports and is about 5ft 7in and 130 lbs.

Hindsight being 20/20 I wanted to get her a capable rifle for Bear and Elk here in WA and it not wear her out carrying it in the woods. Well the rifle weighs right at 7lbs gun, scope, sling with three shells in it weighs 7lbs 4 oz to be exact and I think it will kick the tar out of her. So I went and dropped it off at my gun smith to have it threaded for a break.

Here is my question. The guy I bought the rifle off of had 6 boxes of Hornady 139 grain inter-locks. I think they would be good on deer but I was thinking more for Elk and Bear so what bullet do you all suggest for her using it on bear. I was thinking atleast 160gr and a bonded bullet. I shoot either of my 300's with 210 amaxs for bear and elk I shoot 300 gr bergers out of my 338 Lapua I am just not sure or very familiar with the 28 caliber so all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

IMO, the 139 grain bullet is too light for bear or elk. I would think that, depending on the twist, something closer to 160 - 165 grains would be a better choice and with the muzzle brake she should be able to handle the recoil nicely - shouldn't be anything greater than a 6BR at the bench (well, perhaps at 7 pounds it'd offer a few more foot pounds of recoil energy than the 6BR)

Here's a confidence building article:

A Few Kind Words About the .280 Remington | Field & Stream

Last edited:
I've seen a couple of rodeo's with the 7mm and bears. Some recovered, some not. The main thing, is whatever bullet she uses, think like a bow hunter, and wait until the chest isn't covered by that big bicep.

Small bear you can blow through with good bullets, but as it gets later in the year I've seen 8-10 inches of fat over the ribs. To get through that, after going through hide, muscle, bone, muscle, hide, and then hide over the chest is a lot to ask.

I won't say it can't be done, but I will say I've seen it fail.

Where in WA will you hunt? Generally, Eastern, Cascade, Wet Side.

I sure like the looks of the Weatherby Ultralights. I haven't had a .257 in 30 years, and I may have to change that.

I was on a hunt with a friends kid. he was using a 7-08 loaded with 130 barnes bullets and complete pass through on a big cow elk. So I think any premium bullet in the 140-150 should do great in your daughters 280. Let us know if she has killed anything with the rifle yet.

Im actually going on my Wenaha spring bear hunt with a .243 shooting 95gn Berger VLD's. The 95gn VLD's actually have as good of a BC at 400yards as a .270 shooting 150gn bullets. (Numbers might be slightly off. I read it the other day).

Nice to hear you got her squared away with her own rifle. I'm sure once you get her squared away with a load she'll be bringing more of those nice animals shes been putting down. That or she'll be asking daddy to shoot that 257 Weatherby you've been letting her use. Working on a 7 mm RM for my daughter,bigger critters up here in Alaska.

My first choice bullet would be a 168gr berger. Even at close range I have had good luck with bergers. Second coice would be a 160gr nosler accubond. I used the nosler's for years until I found bergers.

One of the biggest moose I have seen taken was shot with a 280 using 145 gr speer bt.Dressed out over a 1000lbs.He dropped straight down at a little over 100 yards.I went and bought one and have taken deer .bear and caribou with it.I think the 280 is a great choice for her.

17 years or so back I got my youngest son a 700 Mountain Rifle in .280. He was 12 and solid, a farm boy. Still, I didn't want him to develop a flinch (I did when I was young) and I had the same concerns with weight, recoil, etc. I started him with 120 Nosler's and 4064. He was hammering groundhogs, foxes on the farm and shooting some real bragging groups from the bench. Went to 140's and 4064 for deer, same result - never a problem with recoil. A couple years later, for spring bear, I loaded some 154's and 4350. Shot well and by then didn't really bother him but he said the recoil was very noticeably heavier, as were the 4350 loads with the 140 Partitions. He's been a 1 gun guy since, though he allowed that it would be OK if I put him together a .22-250 for the truck and tractor. It's not his .280 but probably be OK for the groundhogs,foxes,yotes. He made it a point to ask for more 120 and 140 loads with 4064 for his wife before she had her own rifle. Take a look at 4064, mighty nice combination if you don't feel the need for the last bit of velocity.

Bullet technology has come a long way recently and has opened up larger game with smaller bullets. I know of many bear taken with 140gr out of a 270. That being said I would have to go with a nosler partition, accubond, or Barnes. All bullets will be fantastic and proven. Now if money doesn't matter I would jump on some cutting edge bullets. Those bullets are not extreme range bullets because of the weight. But because of the design they are very good at turning small calibers into big killers.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.