Daughter wants a new (smaller and lighter) rifle....

libertyman777

Background. My grown daughter is an avid hunter (for someone who works, is a full time student, etc.). So I guess you can say, she goes hunting when she can. She has taken a whitetail buck a few years back with her rifle, shot under one a couple of years back with her brother's rifle. Wants to kill a hog, you get the picture.

I bought her a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 about 5 years ago or so. She is shooting full power ammo (my reloads) and recoil is not an issue but the Savage has a pretty thick barrel and some heft to it which mitigates the recoil somewhat. But she commented on this past weekend's hunt that she would like a lighter rifle. I just weighed the Savage and with scope (Bushnell 1-5x32), Ken Farrall 1" rings, Griffin can (the SS baffle and Aluminum can), sling, cheek pad and 5 rounds of .308 weighs in a shade over 10lbs. I'm guessing stripped it's an 8lb rifle.

She doesn't care for the AR platform, she likes bolt guns. Finding a lighter rifle is not a problem but finding one with enough punch without a substantial increase in recoil.

I've shot some kid sized, lightweight .243 rifles that had a pretty good kick. And the single shot rifles are out. Even though I've taken a pretty good sized buck with an AR in 5.56, I think she needs more than that.

So, I'm thinking about one of the rifles chambered in 7.62x39. Most of our shots are limited to 70-80 yards at most. But a 150-200 yard shot could come up occasionally. Her first dear was a 120 yards. We live in the southeast and there's not many opportunities for long range shots.

I've looked at the Ruger Ranch, the Howa, the Zastava and the CZ. Only the Ruger and Howa are threaded.

But then I saw that they all are also chambered in a 6.5 Grendel.

And there's the option to rebarrel the Savage but I'm not leaning in that direction because when I buy her a new rifle, Pops gets the Savage.

So what do you guys think? Thanks.

Remember this, the smaller the diameter of the bore, the more barrel material there is for the same outside diameter, which equals more weight. So, a .243 Rem will weigh slightly more than a .308 Win in the same exact rifle.

The new Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel would be a cool one. I've been wanting to get one for a while now. I built a 6.5 Grendel AR back 4 years ago, and I love the cartridge, but think it would really shine in a bolt-action platform. And the fact that it's already threaded 5/8x24, and accepts AR mags is a huge plus. The price ain't bad either.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...100036/Ruger+American+Pred+6.5GR+ODG+10RD+22\

Sounds like that 308 is set up for you ,take her shopping have her try the youth rifles,I bought a 243 in a Ruger American youth ss/snth,love it but it's 18 inch bbl ,really cuts dwn the MV ! But other then that it's very nice lite , But buy her what Fits her ,Take the time caliber is up to you Both Lol! As stated by Mud dat 6.5 Grendel just mite be it ',Remington md 7 Winchester md70 feather weight ,TC;s Compass,any lite weight 308 shootings Sierras 125 sptzers dumps any deer living , yur her reloader ;):p:eek: Batter up ,lots n lots of options ,25/06 is Sweet n hard to Beat !!! Gd luck .

My opinion on this is if you are going to go for a shorter barrel, a heavier bullet helps....... I have a Rem 600 in 243 with a 17" barrel for a youth gun and while it works, I have been more impressed with the 6.5 Grendel and 120 gr bullets on deer.....I might be the odd one out, but I really like a bullet exit in case tracking is required and the Grendel seems to kill them just the same and give an exit, with less recoil, and less muzzle blast..... I'm really considering looking for a Rem 700 take off barrel in either 260, or 7mm08 to change out the 243 for, just so that I can shoot a little heavier bullet. I continue to be impressed by how efficient the little Grendel can be, and for a short range deer rifle, I don't think you would be disappointed! I have yet to handle a bolt action Grendel, but I bet they would be a light nice handling gun.

Whatever you purchase make sure it has a threaded muzzle for a brake. I like the beast self timing brake and I have shot a few others that make the claims. I'd still recommend the beast. The savage lady hunter/lightweight in walnut if you can find one is a nice pkg. It looks good and has a barrel nut too. The accustock/accufit works but is still just a cheap stock that doesn't have the feel or looks. Not threaded
TC has a threaded barrel on there economy lines. They tend to shoot very well. chessy tupperware stock
700 sps threaded barrels are 20". All the shorter barrels put the blast closer to the shooter and a brake will exaggerate that aspect. Lots of aftermarket but might be too heavy at 7-7 1/4# to start.
Ruger has a bunch of threaded barrel options that are sub 7# bare rifle
If she is really into hunting maybe something nicer Like a Montana Kimber or Cooper.
Plenty of options with pretty wood to utilitarian glass/kevlar handles. Prices from ultra budget to damm nice garage your shooting lol. I financed a garage completely when I got out of sporting clays as an example.

All great ideas. I have a Kimber 84m and loaded out it is under 7.5lbs in 6.5 Creedmoor. It will shoot 1/2m with factory 143eld-x and even better with reloads. Wife has a Browning Xbolt very light also in Creed and It shoots great. I m on my way to gun store this week to buy the Ruger predator in 6.5 Grendal then to smith to have it cut down to 16 so I can run a can on it with subsonic ammo but can use both. There are so many options today. Let her go to the store and the one that feels good will be the one for her.

Ruger compact...16" barrel that could easily be threaded for a can....and if you really wanted could match it to the AR platform...
Rl17 really makes those 123 gr bullets scream....3000fps from my ex's rifle....although it shot best faster I reduced it accommodate her....she still drills bullseyes with it at 100yd...and dead deer and elk within 300yd...i figured zeroed at 250yd was perfect sight in distance......hasnt missed yet....
And 140gr nearly 2900fps....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.