Data for 7mm RUM re. 168 MKs &RL 25

jsr

If nothing else I'm looking for a starting point for the 168 gr MKs and RL25.I'm somewhat of a novice at working up loads from scratch,but learning,its my understanding you can get into more trouble than you want, by being too conservative with starting loads ie. detonation? If anyone could clear that up would appreciate it,just don't want to "git all blowed up"as they used to say on SCTV. Thanks, Jeff

Don't have a 7mm Rum or use RL 25 but do have a 270/300Rum. My fire forming load was 150gr Ballistic tip over 90gr AA8700. That load was worked up from 75gr in 5gr increments. The 75gr loads produced hang fires every time, which imediately stoped when the charge was moved up to 80gr. So it will take going quite low on the powder charge before you could get into possible danger, probably less than 60gr. I've also used some H1000 with the 150s starting at 80gr and moving up in 2gr increments, about 90gr was maximum.
Hope this helps.

Thanks txhunter,thats what I needed to know.I wasn't sure if just a few grs low could get you in trouble.I should be able to come up with a compromise refering to data for 160 and 175 gr bts. appreciate it, Jeff

Don't have a 7mm Rum or use RL 25 but do have a 270/300Rum. My fire forming load was 150gr Ballistic tip over 90gr AA8700. That load was worked up from 75gr in 5gr increments. The 75gr loads produced hang fires every time, which imediately stoped when the charge was moved up to 80gr. So it will take going quite low on the powder charge before you could get into possible danger, probably less than 60gr. I've also used some H1000 with the 150s starting at 80gr and moving up in 2gr increments, about 90gr was maximum.
Hope this helps.

huh!
How did that happen? I closed the window and went to bed right after typing the responce. How did I post it again at 7:30 the next morning. OH well pretty tired right now, think I'll go to bed early tonight.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.