Data Collection at the Range

Hunter15

I am currently shooting a Savage model 110 FCP w/ HS Precision stock in 338 Lapua. I will be honest in saying that I should have kept better records at the range during load development. This may have been part of why i struggle to find that perfect recipe. At this point I am still not sure if I am at the optimal load. Anyways, I will start of by asking what templates does everyone use when collecting data at the range. I search for a thread but came up empty. I am looking to print out some data sheets and compile each range session in a 3 ring binder. This question stems from my struggles with this rifle. It will shoot great groups (.25 MOA) at 100 yds and will group great out to 900 (the furthest I've shot so far). The ES is higher than I would like at 30 fps but once I am on target at long range it shoots around .5 MOA so I don't think that is the issue although I could be wrong. My big problem is I will plug in all my information in to my Knights Armament Bullet Flight M app and will have problems with first round hits due to elevation adjustments. The program never seems to give me the proper elevation outputs. I understand this could be caused by a multitude of things but at this point im perplexed. Is it my inputs, the app, my gun, the scope...Any question or comments would be greatly appreciated! Maybe someone will bring something to light that I'm overlooking!

I think you've identified a couple of possible sources - what scope are you running? You may want to do a box check to make sure that it tracks correctly and that your turrets actually move 1/4 MOA per click (or whatever they are marked). Also, the app you are using may not be accurate. Or possibly the BC of the bullet you are using could be higher than what it actually is.

If it were me, I'd start from your zero and make your own drop chart by moving out 100 yards at a time. Then you could compare this to your shooting app and make any necessary corrections (velocity) to make your app match the data you shot.

I think you've identified a couple of possible sources - what scope are you running? You may want to do a box check to make sure that it tracks correctly and that your turrets actually move 1/4 MOA per click (or whatever they are marked). Also, the app you are using may not be accurate. Or possibly the BC of the bullet you are using could be higher than what it actually is.

If it were me, I'd start from your zero and make your own drop chart by moving out 100 yards at a time. Then you could compare this to your shooting app and make any necessary corrections (velocity) to make your app match the data you shot.

I am running a Vortex Viper-PST 6x24-50. I did a box test a little while back and all seemed to check out. That is a good idea though, something could have happened between now and then. In my app, I have all the starting inputs correct. I used a magneto speed chrony for the velocity and a Kestrel for the weather inputs while zeroing the rifle. One thing I was thinking was the Temp difference. I zeroed at 32 degrees and put that in my program. Now I'm shooting in the 70-85 degree range. I plug the temp change in my program but it doesnt account for the temp of the ammunition itself. I am using RL25 for powder. Does anyone have any experience with how stable RL25 is when concerning temp?

I too would be interested in example spreadsheets / formats for how you keep the data organized

I'm tied up with work right now and will be glad to share later how I collect data/information for effective range shooting. I'll place a product together sometime in the next four weeks as free time allows. Until then, when dealing with recipes look no further than the kitchen. Choose what's for dinner (this one should be simple as the menu is pre-determined), grab the cook book (it's already out there), collect the cooking utensils and ingredients, make sure to measure the amounts and follow the directions.

The data needed for effective range shooting is not much different than cooking….other than what's being cooked for dinner….and no it's not game.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.