Darn Non-Resident Hunters?!?

One thing we need to do as a community, is move away from painting broad strokes on 'Texans' or 'Californians'……it's total BS and drives wedges into our community, which is a community of outdoorsman/hunters. The more divided we are, the more the government and anti's can compromise our rights!!
EXACTLY...all this bullcrap that has been fomented by the "sky is falling" crowd is just showing up in the hunting world now, plain and simple !!! When I was in that craphole jungle nearly 50 years ago, the only thing I cared about was if the guy next to me had enough ammo, not his skin color, religion or political party....this division and out right delusion caused by racist hatred of the "other" must come to an end or we will be truly in trouble...it carries over into everything we all do...

Last edited:
Maybe every one should respect the property owners land . No matter where you are. Music concerts . rallies , protests . etc. THE MESS THEY LEAVE IS A TOTAL DISGRACE . As for during hunting season i have seen ruts in fields by vehicles farmer with bad leg told to move on his own property . a tree grower angry because someone cut his bailer belts and property posted because of the mess that was left . every person needs to respect others prpperty not matter where it is. PEOPLE DOING THIS MESS SHOULD BE MADE TO SPEND A WEEK CLEANING UP TRASH !

Guaranteed, there are assholes in every sport and our certainly isn't excused, BUT that excuse doesn't fly anymore with me...it's been used against hunters for decades when the real problem is greed, especially inheritance baby greed from children who never lifted a finger, moved away and just happened to fall in a septic tank and come out smelling like a rose. If anything I find the vast vast majority of hunters to be dam good people, who never even leave a gum wrapper on any land, they aren't the ones dumping garbage, old shingle and baby diapers on anyone's land but that tired old excuse is placed on them and they have nothing to do with it....

I don't think it's state specific. You have turds living in Free States and Red Blooded Americans living behind enemy lines in some of the "other" states. Percentages of each may vary but regardless, I think it's just the degradation of society and it's morals and values that used to mean some something. Basic but necessary values to be tolerable human beings. Accountability, responsibility, respect for your elders, the world don't owe you anything, if your didn't work for it, your don't deserve it. consideration for the people around you, respect nature and maintain it, always leave an area better than how your found it. Don't care if that's your beer can or not. Pick it up. See folks with a camp set up? Stay away from them. Don't set up on top of them or walk / drive through it there camp. I don't care how bad you wanted that spot, it aint yours. Go away:

If your out backpacking, humting and your see some trash pick it up. Me the wife and my girls would go out in the back country and if they see trash they'll pick it up and put it in your pocket, pack Etc. They're 14 and 12. You got adults that don't understand that concept.

I don't know. I don't see it getting better. I see it getting worse. Going the opposite way that it needs to. All I can do try to
make sure my kids are raised proper and stand by their values.

Last edited:
There's good and bad on both sides. I've seen this type of reasoning in Pennsylvania. The trashy(not the good folk) locals blaming the outsiders and newcomers for their woes. On the other hand, there are outsiders that are poor stewards. Most of the time it's the locals or people from the next county or town over. I'm seeing this in Florida now. Saw it in upstate New York and in New Jersey decades ago. It's inescapable unless you want conservation officers up your behind even more than they already are. Unfortunately, I find you got to just help out and pick it up yourself. And constantly have scornful conversation at all times with disdain for those littering.
O
Not likely.
The Fish and Game biologist/CO/tag salesman in CDA likely told you how to find other people's honey holes that he gleaned from them at mandatory roadside game check stations. Then he gave that info away to every non-resident he talked to so they would buy a $450 elk tag (now $600) and fund his salary. (Idaho Fish and Game receives no general tax funds from the state.) So a very real part of their jobs is devoted to setting up booths at "Big Horn", outdoor and related trade shows in Spokane, Seattle, etc., to promote their license and tag sales to non-residents. They were recorded by a local resident a few years ago hucking the game unit I live in from one such Spokane convention booth, saying "Just come hunt in Idaho's Game Unit X…we are growing deer and elk there faster than we can shoot em!" Of course, none of that was actually true, but it sure was effective in flooding all my hunting areas with Washington hunters. But I don't blame the hunters for that. The problem is Idaho's money-addicted game department.
Although your comment may be true to a certain extent, the locals mostly get the low hanging fruit and stay privy to the honey holes. Both the easily accessible spots and in particular the "deep in" spots. Throw in private land the locals have access to, and off season scouting(and feeding-lol), I doubt they have any outside pressures to worry about. I've been around enough to see that in a few states. The local boys always fare the best overall. I doubt that will ever change. Even if the conservation officers throw a few bones to the non residents. I hope your not engaging in melodrama and proactive anti non resident access. I've been around long enough to see that too. That type of behavior prompts animosity and hostility where it doesn't need to exist . I've seen it lead to bar fights and local law enforcement harassing non locals. Not a good thing at all. Are you ascared? Lol

Last edited:
YouTube has escalated the number of out of state hunters along with last year's pandemic lockdown, people had time on their hands to hunt.
That being said even though I had my season interupped by newbies to my hunting area, if we want the hunting tradition to continue we should be glad to see people in the woods instead of exercising their thumbs on a games or phone.

While I admit I painted with broad strokes, and there are differences state to state, I stand by this as my experience
There are no differences on how federal (Bur of Land Mgt & USFS) wilderness areas are managed regarding cattle grazing, as per LRNuts statement. Cattle leases are issued by BLM and the National Forest Service, not fish and game departments. Additionally, you cannot get a permit to graze in a wilderness area unless cattle grazing permits were issued before that area became a dedicated wilderness area.

I don't know how much actual experience you have in regards to being out west, but the folks that actually live out here know what the facts are.

As a retired USFS employee that lived/worked in three Western states, in multiple duty stations with cattle grazing, I never saw an active grazing permit in a federally managed wilderness area over 35 years. Over the years both the BLM & USFS have been, or has closed out, the old permits since the Wilderness Act was implemented 50+ years ago.

Perhaps you weren't sure whether you were in a designated wilderness area, or not. Non-wilderness areas look like wilderness to folks that don't live out here (west), and don't know how federally-managed lands are categorized.

Last edited:
I live in Arizona and there is a BIG problem of people dumping their crap. You'll see a lot of mattres(sp) and all manner of garbage that people are too lazy to take to the dump. I live in Kingman and true enough the dump is rather far but they only charge around $6 for a truck load. What I do is, if I have some large items for the dump, I'll save them up then when I get a truck load, I'll take it to the dump. Plain and simple. Seeing all manner of garbage out in the desert really is maddening. Enough to bust a cap in their a**. I know you can't do that but it does cross your mind!