Darn Non-Resident Hunters?!?

Don't think it is so much residents. My last fishing trip in Wyoming i had 2 different locals invite to come out hunting. One offered to hunt anywhere i wanted to go, the other told me where he hunted. Think a lot of it is from landowners and guide services doing the lobby thing. Ranchers putting there land open to the public for taxes but don't want anyone on it. Not Safe so many people shooting every which way. Nonresidents get lost and are a danger to themselves and everyone else. And on and on it goes.

My 2 cents worth. Nonresident verses residents. Is that three are good and bad with both the same as everything else in life. The percentage of nonresident offenders could be a little higher, possibly because they figure I'll never be back here again, this state cheated, bad experience of some kind or the other. None of them good excuse but at the time they justify it. I do hunt out of state. And so far my experiences have been pretty good. Yes I do come across those people that are jerks. And honestly most of the time I don't know where they are from. And yes they do put a damper on my day. My out of state story. I started hunting elk out of state when I retired. I mainly hunt solo. My wife and I went to the area that I was going to hunt to scout and look for a camping spot early. We found a spot that we could get our camp trailer into and luckily enough it was still available when we got there. We used this spot for 4 years. There was this group of hunters that would come by quite often in the evening. They were residents and had hunted this same area for 40 plus years their parents and grandparents had hunted this area before them. Every once in a while they would stop and visit. And as the years went by they stopped more often. Finally at the end of the 4th year they stopped and said next year when you come just pull in and camp with us we will make room. Now I wouldn't never impose myself on others and I guess they kinda figured that. Because next year when we were headed back up there to hunt they met us in the road and there was no refusing their hospitality. We've now gotten together and camped together for the last 14 years. When I asked why they included us in their group. They replied that It just made more sense for us to be there instead of them always having to drive up to our camp to visit and besides you never once asked us where to go hunt, the camping spot you picked was often quite junky when you arrived but when you left it was always clean. Made a us feel good that when you try and treat people as you would like to be treated we were granted the best award possible. Friendship. Good luck this hunting season to all. Be safe. And have a good time.

I do know one thing for sure this NR vrs Res. thing is only gonna get worse with all the influx of people moving to Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. While I'm in agreement its not just NR screwing things up SLOBS ARE SLOBS!!. Here's an explaination of what happens that throws fuel to the fire, last weekend my wife and I left about 8:00 am to watch my niece run barrels at our local arena a Californian parked his motorhome in the access road for the night to sleep blocking 1 lane YOU JUST CANT FIX STUPID!!
So my question is that what people do in California because I've never seen a Montana vehicle do that.

A lot of resident hunters resent non residents coming in and competing with them for game. Some of them have hunted the same federal land for many years and almost view it as theirs and dont like seeing anyone else hunting there.

What gives a NR the right to do anything in a other state just because he thinks he spent xyz amount of dollars in another state. That reasoning just kills me.
I guess that depends on how many of my Federal Tax dollars go to your State instead of back to my State! This is the United States of America. The Constitution gives us all the right to lawfully move around the country! When we follow the rules/laws of the state we travel to or through we should b treated like the good and welcome guests...just like when you come visit my home.

People, People, have we all forgotten or never learned the Golden Rule?

I live in a state with lots of hunting. And I have hunted often in two other states. In my state there is a very large metro area with hundreds of thousands people who leave the city to hunt outstate and in other states. Large numbers do not respect the rights privacy or show courtesy to other hunters or property owners in any state. Countless times I have seen them being slobs. My favorite spot in another state was wiped out by a group that happened on me getting ready to hunt, they piled out and busted a flock of pheasants. The name and address of their metro business was on the door of thier truck. In a matter of weeks the whole areas was devoid of birds. Not only that but certain ethnic groups hunting as large parties and wipe out all game in both public and private areas with disregard to laws.. Of course thier are many courteous respectful hunters as well. But the shear numbers present enough bad apples to ruin much of the hunting for a hundred miles or in some cases much more from the metro areas. Thier are a few local hunters in some areas that are poor sports but I suppose it depends on where you live.

My 2 cents worth. Nonresident verses residents. Is that three are good and bad with both the same as everything else in life. The percentage of nonresident offenders could be a little higher, possibly because they figure I'll never be back here again, this state cheated, bad experience of some kind or the other. None of them good excuse but at the time they justify it. I do hunt out of state. And so far my experiences have been pretty good. Yes I do come across those people that are jerks. And honestly most of the time I don't know where they are from. And yes they do put a damper on my day. My out of state story. I started hunting elk out of state when I retired. I mainly hunt solo. My wife and I went to the area that I was going to hunt to scout and look for a camping spot early. We found a spot that we could get our camp trailer into and luckily enough it was still available when we got there. We used this spot for 4 years. There was this group of hunters that would come by quite often in the evening. They were residents and had hunted this same area for 40 plus years their parents and grandparents had hunted this area before them. Every once in a while they would stop and visit. And as the years went by they stopped more often. Finally at the end of the 4th year they stopped and said next year when you come just pull in and camp with us we will make room. Now I wouldn't never impose myself on others and I guess they kinda figured that. Because next year when we were headed back up there to hunt they met us in the road and there was no refusing their hospitality. We've now gotten together and camped together for the last 14 years. When I asked why they included us in their group. They replied that It just made more sense for us to be there instead of them always having to drive up to our camp to visit and besides you never once asked us where to go hunt, the camping spot you picked was often quite junky when you arrived but when you left it was always clean. Made a us feel good that when you try and treat people as you would like to be treated we were granted the best award possible. Friendship. Good luck this hunting season to all. Be safe. And have a good time.
Its' because you were raised right. The willingness to become your friend should make you feel proud of who you are.

There is much said above that is enlightening and good. The sad thing is I doubt it will change anything in this regard. Here is New Mexico there is much beauty and also poverty and poverty denial. The situation exacerbates the "slob" mentality which also adds gas to the fire of ACCESS in New Mexico. When access revolves around the dollar bill, and we are speaking of the second poorest state in the U.S., you can imagine how emotional this issue is here. I know hunters from other states who have come here, have done their homework, come in good physical condition, and exert effort in their hunting and were quite successful. In three separate incidents these successful hunters were confronted by residents, unwilling to put in the time, research, effort, and the bucks to achieve the same hunting success, but resented other people for doing so.
This situation will never change in New Mexico, nor, lets face it in most western states.

The issue is more about competition in the field, and folks that live in an area year round that can't afford to hunt 4 or 5 states and may only get 7-10 days a year to hunt find themselves tripping over hoards of other hunters. Moreover some folks born, raised, and live where tags are limited through a draw and get testy when they don't draw and see NR hunters with a tag in their backyard. The concept of NR hunters being bad stewards is nothing more than gaslighting the larger issue.
Griz brings up an excellent point. People that live in rural areas do so because doing that is more important to them than making money in a big city - it is a pretty simple concept. That is true in northern MN as well as the mountains of CO. The problem for the locals in CO, however, is the huge influx of people who can either afford a second home or can work remotely. My GC in CO is a member here; he not only built my CO house but also a spec house we sold to couple who, IIRC, live in Ohio but can now live in Crestone CO and work remotely. The stampede is just beginning...

Just treat people respectfully. When I hire someone, I always like to take them to lunch. I watch how they address the waiter/waitress: do they say "please," "thank you," "sir/ma'am," etc? I don't have time for people who think the sun shines out of the their butt, be they residents or non-residents.

Try hunting out of state with CA plates on your truck. People calm down when they start to talk to us. My wife and I are both 100% disabled veterans trying to fill our freezers for the year. We both prefer wild or home raised foods anyways but with her chemical exposure from the Marine Corps she cannot eat commercial processed foods without getting sick somehow. People in other states automatically assume Bay Area or L.A. citiots and libtards as soon as they see the truck plates when in fact she grew up on a North Valley farm in Corning and I was in the small foothill logging community of Cohasset. CA plates have caused vandalism, locals deliberately driving around blasting horns to push off any game, and aggression. Way too many people need to get over themselves and find out the whole story/truth before they start trouble they really don't want. Generally speaking its not wise to tangle with a Soldier and Marine couple. lol

My story about RHs vs NRHs: This was during the time I was in the military and stationed in Utah. My buddy had a friend in Colorado and he invited my buddy and I to go elk hunting with him and a couple of his RHs.

We arrived, purchased OTC tags and drove up their favorate location. For the RHs it seemed to be a social event with way too much drinking in the evening to the extent they did not get up very early. Hunt was not successful....no snow at higher elevations and elk refused to cooperate.

Later we are riding around in our host's truck and he started to tailgate a vehicle. When asked why he explained they were 'just indians'. I could not get away soon enough from these RHs.

To end on a lighter note, the last night before leaving for Utah (we were at the host's trailer home) they started a poker game, all were heavly drinking along with my buddy....at some point I, having only nursed a beer...was the designated driver back to Utah, had won all their money as well as all my buddy's money. The next morning everyone was so hungover, none of them could remember who had won.....I insisted on an early departure (LOL). On the way home I gave my buddy the money he had lost. I was still happy, covered the cost of the tag and most of the gas.

So don't pick out one example and say it applies to all. As a NRH, I did leave the area 'cleaner' than I found it.