Darn Non-Resident Hunters?!?

lilharcher

I've seen it come up on a lot of threads and am so confused by this concept of "non-residents" being bad stewards of the land/resource (trash, disrespectful, bad sportsman, etc), YET most hunters hunt multiple states!! Does that mean they are perfect citizens in their own state, then complete degenerates in the non-res states??!!

Or maybe, bad apples are just that! I have family who hunt and live in a few other western states, and am in the field a lot Aug - Jan…..my brother and I alone have 7 hunts in 4 states this year. During all my time in the field, I have seen absolute no correlation between res and non-res with respect to being bad stewards, and again, for all those hunters that claim non-res people are the problem, I hope you are all looking in the mirror the next time you hunt outside your home state.

By the way, I'm the guy who will always welcome you into my camp to chat or have a beer, and genuinely want to support my fellow hunters. If you have a flat tire, I will offer to help. If you are in the camp next to me and are a slob, I'm going to stop on my way out to clean it up (and likely report you). AND, I'm a big believer in supporting the local small business owners (motels, super market, restaurants, gun stores, etc) and local guides/outfitters (when I am too busy with family or work to scout a new area).

IMO, I see this non res BS here and elsewhere a lot when residents are trying to justify changing res vs non res fees or allocations. But again, MOST hunters are both res and non res hunters, so I scratch my head. On this particular subject, I do think the actions of one (state) can ruin it for the rest of the states, so I do wish their was a 'Western State Alliance (equal representation from each state)' to set basic standards on allocation/etc……that way, no one feels like they can screw people for the sake another state did it (ie - change to 90/10 or worse b/c their residents have to deal with that as non-residents in the boardering/surrounding states)…..BTW, this isn't a 90/10 debate, just using as an example.

Good luck to all the res and non res hunters on your hunts this year and keep a look out for those bad apples!

Last edited:
I hunt 3 states myself and what I have noticed is that residents, where I am the out of stater, seem to have hard feelings against me before they even get to know me. Maybe you could call them bad apples or maybe they have had bad experiences before me. Understand, I have met a lot of good people in other states. A lot!........ BUT.... then there's the property owner next to a piece of leased land we have that has Posted signs every 2 feet down the property line and goes as far to line guys up the property line just to shoot and drive animals back up the mountain so we don't get a chance at them. Which is illegal. But we do not want any conflict so we say nothing. That guys loss I guess. Then there's the guy that calls the DNR on us when he sees us roll in on the weekends to hunt beside his property. Afraid we are killing his deer I guess.
With that said, I own a couple hundred acres in WV. I have my place posted. I have several people I hunt with so I don't want people disturbing our hunts. But I like meeting the neighbors, several doing just what I am doing, some leasing to hunt. Be glad to have em in camp or help out any way I could. And the ones I've met so far feel the same. Even had neighbors show up when they heard something bad may have happened. I sure appreciated that.
Anyway, I love the outdoors, I respect the game I hunt, the land I hunt, the people I hunt with. I'll be a good neighbor, maybe a good friend. Just give me a chance is all I ask.

I think there's bad apples everywhere. I've met a lot of good people on hunts out of state (mostly guided hunts) and many have become very good friends that have invited me and my family to hunt there place and have come and visited for a vacation at my home. I've found as I get older I've become more open to people I don't know n determine my opinion after I get to know them a little. Info matter where I hunt I treat the place the same as home, I don't leave trash or damage farmers fields, close gates that were closed etc. I do smoke n I won't leave a butt on ground no matter where I'm at. I've seen guys throwing their beer cans in farmers fields, which lets just say when he left they were back in his pickup. Every state has bad Apple resident n non resident. I think the majority of hunters I've come across are good people. JMO

Of the few bad actors that I've encountered in the field they were all (in-state) residents. Some residents just take things for granted when hunting locally.
During my travels, the non-residents seemed dedicated to the sport and were concerned about the image they portrayed. All of my out-of-state hunting trips have been outfitted.

It's not an "us vs them" situation that you can generalize. A few bad apples are here, there, and everywhere. Unfortunately, they give us all a bad name.

I've only hunted CO as a non resident. I have to say the locals I've met there have been FANTASTIC! I've only hunted solo, but every local hunter I ran into offered more info about the area and the animals than I could have learned in 10 years of hunting and reading. As a matter of fact, I ran into one fella on the trail before season, he asked if he could have my phone number to check in on me daily, since I was hunting solo. He did, offered up help packing out any animals I harvested, even offered up his gear, and house to take a shower before the trip home. He did join me on a morning hunt and made one trip with me hauling out meat. I politely declined the offer, of a shower. At the time it was a little too much if you know what I mean.😂

Turns out the guy was a retired Major League Baseball pitcher that has pitched in the World Series!! I had no idea!! We still communicate sparingly throughout the year. This one has to be the coolest experience I've had! And, Mike... if you're reading this, thanks again!!

Doesn't matter if I'm hunting or on vacation with my family. My expectation is to leave it better than I found it and my family knows this as well. Doesn't matter if it is deep into the woods or a local hotel room. Everyone has an opinion, but those who visit or get paid to come in after I leave, will never associate me or my family as being slobs. Like just_jon said, there is no residency requirement.

My take on all this is that this is a matter of life in general nowadays. The cancer that just keeps growing for years has now spread into our pasttimes where we all go to find peace and solace. You all know what I mean, it's all about ME! It's the people you work with that try to screw you for that promotion, it's the parent your kids play sports with that are just out of control, it's ALL this kind of crap! NO COMMON SENSE, NO COMMON COURTESY, NO HUNTER ETIQUETTE or ETHICS! It's all about ME and don't give a rats xxx about anyone else. It's a plague. They all want to be rockstars or think they already are and don't care what they leave in their wake as long as it makes for a social media chest thump. It xxxxx me off more when it comes to my time afield where I go to put my head back on straight and get away from all the crap I deal with on a daily basis everywhere else and now have to deal with it where my happy place is. GGGGRRRRRR! State lines mean nothing to this but I do see this being more of an issue with NRs. Nothing like spending a good part if the year scouting, patterning, managing your own home area just to see some clueless DA pull in from where ever and blow the whole deal for everyone including themselves for weeks to come. Like I said, no common sense, no common courtesy, and no hunter etiquette or ethics. It's just wrong no matter R or NR!

My take on all this is that this is a matter of life in general nowadays. The cancer that just keeps growing for years has now spread into our pasttimes where we all go to find peace and solace. You all know what I mean, it's all about ME! It's the people you work with that try to screw you for that promotion, it's the parent your kids play sports with that are just out of control, it's ALL this kind of crap! NO COMMON SENSE, NO COMMON COURTESY, NO HUNTER ETIQUETTE or ETHICS! It's all about ME and don't give a rats xxx about anyone else. It's a plague. They all want to be rockstars or think they already are and don't care what they leave in their wake as long as it makes for a social media chest thump. It xxxxx me off more when it comes to my time afield where I go to put my head back on straight and get away from all the crap I deal with on a daily basis everywhere else and now have to deal with it where my happy place is. GGGGRRRRRR! State lines mean nothing to this but I do see this being more of an issue with NRs. Nothing like spending a good part if the year scouting, patterning, managing your own home area just to see some clueless DA pull in from where ever and blow the whole deal for everyone including themselves for weeks to come. Like I said, no common sense, no common courtesy, and no hunter etiquette or ethics. It's just wrong no matter R or NR!

A lot of truth here, but it goes much further. It is the same in any public place in any activity. Residency has little or no effect. About the only way to hunt in peace anymore is to own or lease land, or go somewhere so remote you won't be bothered. There is no other escape.

I have only hunted in state, but even at that I have seen in and out of state hunters that are unpleasant. I will say I encounter more friendly people than not.

I usually stop and like to talk. I in no way ask or expect someone to give up their honey hole, but will ask what they are seeing. They don't have to share. If I have a deer tag and they have an elk at maybe we can help each other, that's the kind of conversation I am looking for. If we both have elk tags, it's more to see if there is game in the vicinity, but I respect the fact if they are seeing them and I am not I don't pry to find where.

I had a guy one time at the parking area for the national forest access who I said hello, he said hi. Then I asked what he was hunting and if he was seeing anything. He responded and said "I was minding my own business and you bothered me. I didn't ask you so don't ask me" or something like that. He was a Colorado guy too based on his license plate.

I have no issue with visitors, although in certain areas it increases road hunting and makes me work harder and hike further in. I will stop and say hi to anyone unless it is on my way in for the morning and I am working to beat the sunrise to my spot. Heck, if I tagged out, I will spill all the beans on what/where I have seen things :)

It doesn't make a lot of difference if you are on your own property you will have those that show no respect for that and will still trespass and trash the place up . It is a sign of the times . There are in state and out of state people that have and show respect and in state and out of state people that have no respect and show no respect for others or the land and world in general .

Inconsiderate slobs are everywhere. I just seem to notice them more if they have out of state plates.
I have peeves of my own, tri-turbo diesel pickups with open pipes road hunting clearing everything out of the canyon, and stop driving your ATV through prime hunting areas because you are too lazy to get off and walk.
Around here all of the locals waive to each other, whether we know you or not. When the people don't waive back and look at you like you're a serial killer, you know they aren't locals. Then they get all friendly when they have a flat tire, or run out of toilet paper, or run out of gas, or need some rope, or need quarter bags, or, or, or....

Ok I'll get on this with my opinion. I live in Northwest Colorado where every big game hunting seasons we are flooded with non resident hunters great for our small town of Meeker's economy. Our gun club opens our private range to hunters to check their rifes for correct sighting. We have a member at the bench spotting for the shooters. Ive met a lot of great people from many different states but on the flip side I've met some real penis wrinkles and some of the worst offenders are from our own state Denver in particular and some from the west coast state. Our club makes about $5000.00 a year doing the sight in as well as a raffle for 3 rifle prizes.
Do they take a deer or elk from me maybe but it doesn't matter we are all have fun doing what we like to do. There will always be slob hunters from out of state as well as in state. My 2 pennies