Darn Non-Resident Hunters?!?

Won't even to begin to know how many tags I haven't filled. After a big one. Shot enough deer and it isn't much fun or work to do that. The big boys are the one hard to hunt, It takes time, and a lot of time and going home without. The HUNT IS WHAT COUNTS!
Sad how long it takes most of us to learn that.

Ask the resident hunters how much in taxes they spend annually by living there... income taxes, gas tax, utility tax, sales tax, property tax, and personal property tax. Ask the residents how much they spend buying sporting goods, food, restaurants, lawn supplies, vehicles, recreation, etc.
Ask the residents how much time they donate to conservation and wildlife causes...
Yes. All true. I didn't want to get into a he/him argument. The point was generally non residents are not the problem. Non res hunters not only pay geometrically more to hunt out of states, their money provides jobs, infrastructure and revenue to communities. And if successful hunting is the goal, dollar for dollar non resident hunters are a fraction as successful as resident hunters. Their drain on Local resources and game is also fractional. And mostly, it is not a stretch to say that the vast majority of non resident hunters are respectful and exactly the kind of hunters we all want to be. How do I know this? Because those non resident hunters is us! We live in a country where 70% of murders and violent crime is committed by 13% of our population. That doesn't make the rest of us killers, robbers and rapists.

Ask the resident hunters how much in taxes they spend annually by living there... income taxes, gas tax, utility tax, sales tax, property tax, and personal property tax. Ask the residents how much they spend buying sporting goods, food, restaurants, lawn supplies, vehicles, recreation, etc.
Ask the residents how much time they donate to conservation and wildlife causes...
Have you ever vacationed in another state? If your answer is yes perhaps you should ask those residents the same question. This may be your state but it is our country and we all work to support it or at least should.

It doesn't have to fall to a 'hunter' for being obnoxiously trashy...at my studio the AB&B gets lots of out of staters...most of them just kick the garbage out of the vehicles onto the ground....they can care less...
But I've also seen ranchers..
stewards of the lands with trash sprewn allover the place....no way that was a planned burn pile.....
Some people just don't care......

Their are offenders on both sides. I've picked up campsites left totally trashed, beer and soda cans, wrappers, water bottles, ect. Left by both residents and non-residents alike.
The things that really make me mad is people not eating the animals they kill. I have turned a couple people into fish and game for this. One guy (from NY) that posted about it on this site! Said his bull was too gamey that he had to throw the meat out.
Last year I had a guy from Oklahoma shot a bull fifty feet in front of me. Said he didn't see me but I think he just didn't want me to shoot the bull. I was directly behind where he shot, in line with the bull and maybe eight feet higher in elevation.
I've also met some truly great people from out of state. Offered to help several people from all around the country. Pointing them in the right direction, where to find game and how to hunt them. I have a family that comes up every year from Texas that stays in my camper at my house that i consider good friends.
Too me. If you are going to hunt in someone else's backyard treat it and the locals as you would want yourself and your own property treated.

Last edited:
A lot of resident hunters resent non residents coming in and competing with them for game. Some of them have hunted the same federal land for many years and almost view it as theirs and dont like seeing anyone else hunting there.
You are right, we do kinda view it as ours. It is our backyard, and our home. And as previously stated a few duds give a lot of people a bad wrap. I don't hold anyone being from out of state against them until they earn it. If you are in the spot I was headed to hunt I'll just go to another one. Don't bother me at all.
You are wrong about it being federal land. It is public land open to all. Including non-residents. But it is our home and we expect it to be treated as such. I'd do the same if I was hunting in your backyard.

Unfortunately....some people treat their own properties like garbage piles....and see the public lands as nothing different....

Reading this with keen interest. This coming season I would be going to SW CO, a few miles up from Cortez, with some friends (they've hunted there a few times) for the 1st time. Four of us from TX, and a couple from the West Coast.
You will be in my backyard. I'm about 30 miles north of Cortez. Shoot me a message when you get here I'll buy you all a beer.

In my hunting experience I have had a couple of nasty comments from local hunters saying that "Non-residents are killing all our game" when they see the license plates on my truck. It's funny that I have never seen any of these guys when I am miles up the trail head on foot. <wink>

The vast majority of non-resident hunters are excellent sportsman who spend there hard earned time and money to travel to distant places to hunt. DD62

In any group of people you will always have 10% that are turds, 10% that are exceptional and the rest in the middle somewhere just doing what they do un-noticed. The turds get all the attention. I have watched over the past 30 years since I learned of this dynamic and it holds pretty true. Whether your at the ball game, a restaurant, the boat access, wherever. There are just more folks now and the 10% has become a bigger number. With the interwebs we can now hear all the bad stories making it seem much worse, but it has always been this way resident or non.