Another thought

Go on the JBM Calculations and look at some of the different caliber
and compare energys, trajactories,velocitys and recoil, I think you will
be surprised at the lower recoil of some very powerful rounds,

The recoil velocity is the one to look at closely because it is the speed
at witch the rifle moves back at firing (Perceived recoil) and weight has
a large bearing on this.

A lightweight rifle of the same caliber and loaded velocity will have a
lot higher recoil velocity than that of a heaver one.

Like you I am not recoil shy but I'm not addicted to it eather and have my
comfort zone and try to build rifles to this max level of recoil by changing/
adding weight to the rifle,heaver stock,barrel ETC.

The JBM Calculations are great for this.

J E CUSTOM

In thick brush and with an animal that will kill you go with a double rifle. You did say win the lottery or rich uncle right :)

Watch Track Across Africa, and see the speed difference between a bolt action and a double rifle. IMO the double wins hands down!

edge.

I agree with Edge about a Double Rifle but you are talking WAAAYYYY more $$$$$.

For a bolt action rifle it is a no brainer - 458 Lott built on a Pre-64 winchester action. Barrel and stock from whoever you like. The only issue with a pre-64 would be if you're lefty.

Most PH's carry the 458 lott so if you have problems needing ammo you are not stuck. You can also use 458 win ammo in a 458 Lott.

The 460 weatherby, in my opinion, is one of those things that looks good on paper. Reality is that shooting that thing without a brake is nuts. I'm not recoil shy - I shoot a 338 lapua that weights 10.5 lbs (about 12 with scope) without a muzzle brake. But, the 460 Wby is about 2 1/2 time more recoil. I'm pretty sure you can't use a muzzle brake in africa.

I have a 416 Rem -458 Lott-470 Capstick 500 A square and a 500 Weatherby. The 375 H&H is a dream to shoot and practice with. My choice would be the 375 with 200 grain bullets for practice and the 300 grain bullets for the serious stuff. The 416 and above rifles are heavy hitters and kick hard. Shoot the biggest thing you can be accurate with and you can't go wrong. Ross

Aj

I am a fan of the 416s and hear is the reason.

The range of bullet weights (300,325,350,400 and 410grs)

If you look at the trajectory tables and compair the 416 with
the lighter bullets ,they are very good.

With a heavy rifle recoil is not bad with the lighter bullets.

Also if you plan to go to Africa some countries will not allow anything
under .40 calibre.

And some P H,s will not allow muzzel breaks so weight is good on a
375 or a 416.

I have 2 416s and have shot up to 50 rounds at one sitting before losing
interest.One is a 416 rem in a safari grade 700 rem. and the other is a
416 Buff based on a 375 RUM case (About 100ft/sec slower
than a 416 weatherby) also on a 700 rem long action.

The 300 to 350gr bullets are great for Brown bear and the 400 or 410gr
solids are Cape Buffalo poison.

Shooting the 416 in a lead sled is a non,event.

J E CUSTOM

I've always like the .416. Build it on a 30-06 length action. It'll do almost 2300 fps with a 400 grain solid, which ought to be plenty good enough for most anything.

My shoulder hurts just thinking about this
gary

Aj

I am a fan of the 416s and hear is the reason.

The range of bullet weights (300,325,350,400 and 410grs)

If you look at the trajectory tables and compair the 416 with
the lighter bullets ,they are very good.

With a heavy rifle recoil is not bad with the lighter bullets.

Also if you plan to go to Africa some countries will not allow anything
under .40 calibre.

And some P H,s will not allow muzzel breaks so weight is good on a
375 or a 416.

I have 2 416s and have shot up to 50 rounds at one sitting before losing
interest.One is a 416 rem in a safari grade 700 rem. and the other is a
416 Buff based on a 375 RUM case (About 100ft/sec slower
than a 416 weatherby) also on a 700 rem long action.

The 300 to 350gr bullets are great for Brown bear and the 400 or 410gr
solids are Cape Buffalo poison.

Shooting the 416 in a lead sled is a non,event.

J E CUSTOM

Even though this Thread began 4 years ago, I will add that my brother takes this same type of approach but with the standard .458 Win Mag for brown bears here in Alaska. He loads a lighter semi-pointed Barnes TSX bullet which reduces recoil and retains downrange velocity better than the 500 gr round nose slugs. A TSX somewhere in the 350 to 400 grain range - I believe.

He's shown me some of the expanded .458 Barnes TSX slugs that have been recovered from sand, or wherever his gunshop customers have happened to recover them. The petals on an expanded TSX .458 are pretty darn thick and structurally strong. When they fold back, the expanded .458 TSX bullet forms an awesome energy transferring bullet. The petals will most likely remain intact on most any impact on brown bear, the slug retains virtually all of its weight ensuring deep penetration, the lighter slug starts faster and impacts the game at a higher velocity for improved shock effect - compared to the 500 grain round nose lead jacketed bullets. The expanded bullets look to be about 3/4" in diameter. I think the Barnes TSX bullets are a near perfect application when getting up in the .416 and larger caliber bullets for dangerous game. The petals get thicker, wider and more durable, presenting a large, durable, expanding bullet.

The .458s (and .416s) become much more adaptable cartridges with the availability of the new bullet offerings in the past 20 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.