Dangerous Game Rifle Recommendations?

One Hole

I am planning to have a dangerous game rifle built and would appreciate recommendations from any builders or owners with experience in these. My priorities are close-range knock-down energy, reasonably short with muzzle break (like 20 – 24"), light weight (7 – 7.5lbs), extremely rugged and corrosion resistant. Definitely Cerakoted stainless action and barrel.
This is primarily a stand-off, defensive, charge-stopping rifle – easy to carry, fast to point and quick on the second and third shots. It's not primarily a hunting rifle for measured shots where a longer barrel and heavier weight would work.

As far as caliber I am thinking 375 RUM, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 378 Weatherby or possibly one of the 416s. I don't mind giving up some velocity with the shorter barrel but it needs to be stable and shoot MOA or better. I really don't think I need 400+gn bullets for brown bear, moose, buffalo…

As far as action I am torn between just doing a stainless Remington long action or go with a controlled feed like a Dakota 76, MRC or possibly Winchester or Ruger. It needs to feed and extract flawlessly every time.

I don't want a real light trigger on this – probably like 4 - 5lb.

As far as stock it has to be composite. I like the McMillan Rem. Hunter and Edge profiles. I don't care about looks – just fit, function and weight.

I am pretty much committed to a muzzle break – I am not concerned with having an guide standing next to me and muzzle blast. I think the added energy they allow is worth it. I shoot a 10lb open-site 460wthby regularly and am comfortable shooting my 7lb Remington 375RUM with no break. Any suggestions on a low profile, high efficiency break is appreciated.

The gun will be primarily open sights but drilled for scope mount. Any recommendations on a good, rugged, bright (possibly fiber optic) sight set is appreciated.

Let's assume cost is not a huge concern. The Ruger Alaskan has a lot of the features I am looking for but the stock is heavy and the rifle feels clunky IMO. There's also some pretty nice semi-customs out there but most are $5-10k and don't meet one or more of the above objectives.

Your thoughts, recommendations, experience is appreciated!

I am planning to have a dangerous game rifle built and would appreciate recommendations from any builders or owners with experience in these. My priorities are close-range knock-down energy, reasonably short with muzzle break (like 20 – 24"), light weight (7 – 7.5lbs), extremely rugged and corrosion resistant. Definitely Cerakoted stainless action and barrel.
This is primarily a stand-off, defensive, charge-stopping rifle – easy to carry, fast to point and quick on the second and third shots. It's not primarily a hunting rifle for measured shots where a longer barrel and heavier weight would work.

As far as caliber I am thinking 375 RUM, 375 H&H, 375 Ruger, 378 Weatherby or possibly one of the 416s. I don't mind giving up some velocity with the shorter barrel but it needs to be stable and shoot MOA or better. I really don't think I need 400+gn bullets for brown bear, moose, buffalo…

As far as action I am torn between just doing a stainless Remington long action or go with a controlled feed like a Dakota 76, MRC or possibly Winchester or Ruger. It needs to feed and extract flawlessly every time.

As far as stock it has to be composite. I like the McMillan Rem. Hunter and Edge profiles. I don't care about looks – just fit, function and weight.

I am pretty much committed to a muzzle break – I am not concerned with having an guide standing next to me and muzzle blast. I think the added energy they allow is worth it. I shoot a 10lb open-site 460wthby regularly and am comfortable shooting my 7lb Remington 375RUM with no break. Any suggestions on a low profile, high efficiency break is appreciated.

The gun will be primarily open sights but drilled for scope mount. Any recommendations on a good, rugged, bright (possibly fiber optic) sight set is appreciated.

Let's assume cost is not a huge concern. The Ruger Alaskan has a lot of the features I am looking for but the stock is heavy and the rifle feels clunky IMO. There's also some pretty nice semi-customs out there but most are $5-10k and don't meet one or more of the above objectives.

There are lots of good rifle cartridges that would work for normal hunting but for a defensive weapon
had you though about a 444 marlin or the new 450 marlin ? big heavy bullets and very fast follow up
shots. compact and very dependable.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

There are lots of good rifle cartridges that would work for normal hunting but for a defensive weapon
had you though about a 444 marlin or the new 450 marlin ? big heavy bullets and very fast follow up
shots. compact and very dependable.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM

I agree completely...for an "Alaska" rifle...I'd go with a 45-70, 450 or 444 in a lever action.

Thanks for the input guys. I hadn't really considered a lever since I have little experience with them. Let me do some homework.

Please keep the recommendations coming!

I don't have any experience hunting dangerous game so don't take my advice.

For close range hunting of the game you listed, a short barreled Model 70 338 Win Mag loaded with some 250 gr Swift A-Frame bullets would suit me just fine.

A Marlin 1895 45-70 loaded up with some of Buffalo Bore's high-pressure loads (to nearly 458 Win mag velocity) would be my dangerous game rifle.

I believe a couple of those slamming into his snoot would knock a big 'ol griz down for the count....

I would highly recommend contacting Stuart Satterlee, he will make a rifle feed, extract and eject flawlessly. A super nice guy who does top notch work.

I know it's not even close to your criteria but for up close and personal, this is my preference....500-450 H&H with 480gr SP Woodleigh for this guy at 21 yards. Big bears, lions, buffalo, at close quarters; +.4 caliber/+2000FPS. In a bolt, I like a controlled round feed like the Dakota.416 or 458.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 94
I have several custom and factory DG rifles, I have 2 stainless classic MODEL 70 actions with HS Precision sporter stocks, one in 375 Weatherby 24" barrel and the same in 416 Rem Mag 24" barrel. Both of these are custom builds.
My other rifles are CZ 550 Safari Magnums, both factory, factory custom shop and custom.
These are very robust actions, in factory trim, they are a little notchy and tight, but slick up well with a little work. I have 2 customs, 1 custom shop and 2 factory rifles, in, respectively, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 505 Gibbs, 458 Lott (2). One of the factories started as a 458WM, but I re-chambered to the Lott so I could have a couple of back up rifles for clients.
These are the 2 actions I like for DG rifles.
There are also Granite Mountain, Dakota and Montana that will do the same thing.
Any one of the above cartridges will take the game you list.

Cheers.
gun)

This is primarily a stand-off, defensive, charge-stopping rifle – easy to carry, fast to point and quick on the second and third shots.

Why not the all time classic .375 H & H double rifle. That is what they were designed for.

Double-Rifle-Gallery-3.jpg

And this could be your sight

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=RMR

This is primarily a stand-off, defensive, charge-stopping rifle – easy to carry, fast to point and quick on the second and third shots.

Why not the all time classic .375 H & H double rifle. That is what they were designed for.

Double-Rifle-Gallery-3.jpg

And this could be your sight

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=RMR

I personally like the double rifle for speed, balance, recoil dynamics, and reliability for close in work. The 375H&H wouldn't be my choice because of the rebated rim which adds mechanical complexity, and, more importantly, would prefer a larger diameter bullet(at least .4) if I was looking eye to eye with a big bear at spitting distance. You have ZERO margin of error if you think you could be in this situation with no back up.IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts