Dangerous game rifle: CZ550 / Winchester M70???

I can tell you something about the differences between the two rifles, but without more information, I can't possibly tell you which rifle is a better one for you.

Have you physically held either model rifle in your hands? If not, that should be your first step.

You stated that you want an all around rifle for Alaska/Africa. What do you want your rifle to be able to do? What features are important to you? Will you hand load or use factory ammo? Are you looking for blued finish/wood stock or do you prefer stainless/synthetic?

Provide better details and someone can provide better answers.

Both companies have a great reputation & IMHO a CRF action is a must for a DG rifle.

Will the gunsmiths in your area be willing or able to work on the CZ should it malfunction or should you decide to change something?

The Winchester is here to stay & you will have more aftermarket parts & willing gunsmiths for a good 'ole product of the US of A.

The CZ is plain sexy, & capable to boot. High quality is usually synonymous with the CZ name & product.

This one might come down to individual preference.

t​

Well there is no wrong choice, I like the higher comb of the CZ. It would come down to which one I could get a better deal on or which one I could get in stainless. Also the Win has more support, like say if you want an HS stock, you just order it easy as pie. Also 375 H&H sounds more "all around" to me than 416 Rigby.

Thanks!
I want blued finish barrel, either stock is ok. The first thing I really want to know is the difference between 416 Rigby and 416 Remington Magnum.

The Winchester Model 70 is a fine rifle. It would be hard to go wrong with one of those.

However, I do own a CZ550 Safari Magnum in .375 H&H. It's magnum action is larger than that of the Winchester, which gives you greater magazine length and greater magazine capacity. The greater magazine length allows me to load my .375 to performance levels that are unreachable in the smaller actions.

The price of the greater ballistic performance and magazine capacity is additional gun weight. Depending on your point of view, you may consider that a negative. Personally, I consider greater gun weight in the larger calibers to be an asset because it tends to reduce recoil and makes for a steadier aim.

Another feature of the CZ that I really like is the factory set trigger. When taking a deliberate shot (as opposed to a quicker snap shot), I find that the set trigger does a lot to improve my accuracy. I can concentrate more on sight alignment and breathing. When I am steady and my sights are on target, I don't have to even think about trigger squeeze. I just think "Fire!" and my bullet is on its way. The set trigger helps a lot to avoid flinching when shooting from the bench.

My two favorite rifles are the CZ 550 series and the Winchester Model 70. Both are well made rifles and a joy to use. In DG calibers, each one offers something a bit different. I think your choice really has to boil down to your personal preferences and how each particular rifle fits you and feels in your hands. I remain convinced that you will know which one is right for you the moment you pick it up.

Appreciate your input Mr Benchracer! Actually I have handled M70, CZ550 and Ruger M77 African. I like them all. I want a 416 caliber can send 400gr bullets downrange at velocity 2,400 fps with +5,000 ft·lb energy. From Wiki, I find .416 Ruger's chamber pressure (62,000 psi ) higher than 416 Rigby/Remington. This is not a good thing right? By the way, I do not reload myself.

rs_416_0809b.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't reload, I don't really think there is a dime's worth of difference between the cartridges. I have heard good things about the .416 Ruger. A good friend of mine took a very nice Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe last year with one. I don't personally have experience with the .416's so I can't offer any first hand advice on them.

In theory, the higher pressure cartridges can encounter extraction problems in hot climates. I know both the .416 Remington and .458 Win Mag had a bad reputation in Africa because of reliability problems associated with high chamber pressure (also because of poor bullet performance). That was a long time ago. Factory ammo quality has improved considerably and the powders in common use today tend to be more temp stable.

I wouldn't really worry myself about rated chamber pressure. I would expect the Rigby to have greater overall potential than the other two, but that only really counts if you handload. Failing that, I would really just go with the rifle you like best, buy ammo for it, and start shooting/hunting.

The Ruger, CZ, and Winchester are all reliable controlled feed actions. I don't think you can make a bad choice among them.

The CZ is heavier, but very well balanced. I consider it to be more feature packed than the other two. That is only relevant if you like the additional features, though.

The .416 Ruger is more capable of max performance from a short barrel vs the other .416's. If you want a shorter, lighter, faster handling rifle, I would expect the Ruger to edge the other two out.

The Winchester is a timeless classic that, in my mind, would sit somewhere between the other two in terms of weight and handling characteristics.

My personal bias is toward the CZ, but that is because I like the features offered and I prefer the addtional weight, length, and balance of a true Magnum length rifle. I find its bulk somehow reassuring. Not everyone feels that way.

Truthfully, I can't really say that one of the three is better than the other. The difference is really in which set of tradeoffs suit you best.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts