DANG! Hunt Now Off

Have a good chiropractor near you? Find one that does traction and manual adjusting. You'd be surprised! Not saying its going to save your trip, but can assist in getting you out of pain much quicker depending on how severe your condition is.

Try cold packs on your back and a good chiropractor.I have spinal stenosis and have followed a regimen set up by a PT for years ,plus visits to a good chiropractor.I use no pain pills.If I am bent over for long periods of time,it affects me.I don`t do that anymore.I can ride a horse and motorcycle no problem.It used to be I had difficulty getting out of bed.The only answer I got from most Medical Doctors was to go under the knife and then no guarantees.

Try cold packs on your back and a good chiropractor.I have spinal stenosis and have followed a regimen set up by a PT for years ,plus visits to a good chiropractor.I use no pain pills.If I am bent over for long periods of time,it affects me.I don`t do that anymore.I can ride a horse and motorcycle no problem.It used to be I had difficulty getting out of bed.The only answer I got from most Medical Doctors was to go under the knife and then no guarantees.
I second a good chiropractor but when that quits working it's time to see a surgeon. Any good spine surgeon will not operate if there are other, reasonable options.

Was scheduled to hunt 2nd season CO. Unfortunately had to get epidural shot lumbar region for severe stenosis outbreak last week. It has not relieved the pain as it has in past. There is no way I can drive 25+, set up tent, and actually being able to hunt any elevation.

I am really not as upset as I thought I would be. Its completely out of my control and cannot get past the level of pain. Usually I can but this event is pretty acute. So now hopefully ok in week or so for remainder of bow.
Having worked construction for 43+ years, heavy lifting, working on knees, in ditches, under floors etc. I developed severe sciatica that hurt from above my rump all the way to my foot. Didn't bother me so much as long as I kept moving but as soon as I stopped to stand up, pain was unbearable. Talked to another guy on the job who had been through the same predicament, he told me about one of those Teeter brand upside-down chairs you strap your feet into and hang there to stretch the spinal cord out, keeps the nerve endings from getting compressed between the vertibre. Saw one for sale at a sporting goods store on sale, and decided to give it a try. UNBELIEVABLE relief. I've been without pain now for over 15 years, life-saver. Had been going to a quack chiropractor twice a week, he would crack my back, clip on nerve stimulus electric thingy, what a joke. Best $100 dollars I've ever spent for that machine. Highly recommend for anyone with a bad back. Haven't even had to use it in over 5 years now but keep it in the corner, just in case!

To my fellow aging hunters out there with back and joint problems, do your own research and talk to your doctor about other means of pain management. 30+ years as an underground miner I also have some beat up body parts to include a broken neck, T-11 & T12 both have compression fractures, screws in both shoulders, and some of that fancy mesh for a hernia repair. I did some research and found medications like Paxil work very well for some people with chronic pain. It took about 3 weeks to totally kick in but 20mg a day and 90% of the pain is gone.

Sorry to hear you have to cancel your hunt but you're smart to do it. 2 years ago I thought I could tough it out and go elk hunting in CO. After 5 days I could barely walk do to back issues for years. Had to drive to town and see a chiropractor. Chiropractors aren't for everyone but if you can find a good one it does help. Good luck to you.

Was scheduled to hunt 2nd season CO. Unfortunately had to get epidural shot lumbar region for severe stenosis outbreak last week. It has not relieved the pain as it has in past. There is no way I can drive 25+, set up tent, and actually being able to hunt any elevation.

I am really not as upset as I thought I would be. Its completely out of my control and cannot get past the level of pain. Usually I can but this event is pretty acute. So now hopefully ok in week or so for remainder of bow.
That's always my biggest fear, that something like that would happen and I'd miss the one thing that I look forward to the most for the entire year. Last year less than two weeks before the hunt (third rifle season in CO) had a fever of 103. Thought it was COVID and for the next 8 days was tested for everything, with no relief in the fever and the day before we were to leave was diagnosed with Rocky Mountain spotted fever. How fitting…. Started the prescription the day we left and thankfully survived. I told my family, diagnosed or not, only death would keep me off the mountain and if I died out there, there would be no place I'd rather be.

I had to cut elk short from pain as well. I rode/pushed a bike back in 3miles but could barely carry lunch and a rope in back pack when I had to hike into my spot.

I had to leave because I knew even with the horsse extraction I was promised I couldn't do it. Shivering all night don't help the muscles either.

Went home got the wall tent. 2 pads on the cot. Lots warmer. Hunter half heatedly dragging my lip because the pain getting in 2 miles again raised the fear of actually getting one.

It was nice to hear the creek and the one bull mocking me with a bugle.
is why the CanAm is big deal for me next year.
I'd get electric bike. The elk where I'm at stay holed up deep away from the noise. I've seen them run from it coming.

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_132115031.jpg
    IMG_20211017_132115031.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20211012_090831926.jpg
    IMG_20211012_090831926.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20211012_111751060.jpg
    IMG_20211012_111751060.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

This is a possibility. If you join the North American Hunt club, they have a national exchange posting for swapping hunts, if you have already paid or acquired rights to hunt. Certainly you need to research the details. Another person may be in a similar position, but can hunt earlier than his scheduled hunt, so might be able to swap. Obviously there might be rules that will not allow another person to use your hunt privileges. That being said, it could be solicited on this Long Range Hunt Club. Swap Hunts is very prevalent on the North American Hunt Club.
Best Regards and I will pray for your healing.

( pssst, pssssst....hey...Muddy, are you really hurting...or was this just a Ploy to get that UTV?) 😃
Dang! Caught me! I'd give up the UTV in heartbeat to do what I want. Like stated, figure out how to do what you want with "tools", vehicles, whatever to simplify the effort.

I am using Teeter inversion table at 45 degrees to help decompression and maybe take pressure off the nerves. Other PT exercises as well. Friend had the burn nerve treatment but only lasted a year or so. He is not sure if he will do again.

I choose not to take the pain meds at this time due to all the baggage that comes with them.

I had EMG and MRI recently and the surgery timeline is definitely getting closer. Just trying to put it off as long as I can.

Thank you everyone for suggestions and help.

Muddy sry to hear that I myself missed out a whole season because I had surgery on LS4 LS5 LS5-S1 recovery was crap and had to have ozone therapy shot for 12 weeks having 4 to 6 applications every visit straight into my spine really makes you mad when u really want to get into the woods I hope you recover soon