DANG! Hunt Now Off

Quit whining......im diagnosed with several enlarged disc in lower back...8-10 pinched nerves...and S1L5 disc disintegrated years ago...
I found laying flat on back..knees bent and doing leg lifts slowly helps relieve the pains...after a couple days of stress get it on....keep increasing the exercises and angles...i bought a mtn bike with shocks and two piece frame..started riding an easy 6 miles..after work to help muscles release being uptight all day..that bumping hurt a little but eventually I feel great..last few big bike rides were 20 miles....
Been hiking hard to reach places hoping to find Mr Big...but also realize he won't be coming out in 2 packs...maybe 4....pass him up if in a bad area...hope for another place and time......
But exercise....however slight it needs to be....i still hurt..but unexpected slips and falls are laughed off.......sure it hurts....but I'm not stopping......other day I hiked from 3000'-8100' plus an extra 2000' for dropping down into second canyon...and then the buck I saw was another 1000' higher....he won..this round......another day..... soon......

Hey muddy isn't second season the 30-7th?
No chance you think it would be a bit better by then?
That really sucks two year ago my dad had to miss a hunt with my brother and I in Texas because back pain.
If it make you feel better I'll make sure I get one for you.
That is if I can make it out. With my house so far behind not sure I'm gonna make it out for second season either. Between the pong drive from mich and the hunt that's two weeks farther behind.
Hope you feel better

No whining just frustration and will do what I can to go next year. At 71, it really ticks you off to lose a year at this stage in the game. The progression of stenosis includes loss of balance and stability. Just a fact of how this works. I have to use trekking poles to be able to do what I can.

The lower back stretches do help plus I have one from PT that I do all the time hunting. Easy and helps. Its called "baby squat" and it works for me. Find sapling, lower down using sapling keeping heels on ground, hold for 30 seconds, this stretches lower back and feels great.

The problem for me is I have to get there at least 3 days in advance for altitude acclimation. Susceptible to elevation but this works for me. The level I am in is for sure not going to get better soon enough. Plus the drive kills my back. I can't squat right now and get up without severe pain and assistance which is not usual but it is what it is. This happened before and took about 6 weeks to clear up. I probably waited too long to get shot.

Muddy, Very sorry to hear about having to cancel your hunt. I hope your back gets better soon. I had an accident several years back that almost cost my left hand. A year of several surgeries from reassembling the arm and shoulder and then the therapy I could handle. Missing two years of hunting was the worst. Hang in there. Red

Was scheduled to hunt 2nd season CO. Unfortunately had to get epidural shot lumbar region for severe stenosis outbreak last week. It has not relieved the pain as it has in past. There is no way I can drive 25+, set up tent, and actually being able to hunt any elevation.

I am really not as upset as I thought I would be. Its completely out of my control and cannot get past the level of pain. Usually I can but this event is pretty acute. So now hopefully ok in week or so for remainder of bow.
I feel your pain. I have the same problem. Had several epidurals over the years, none of which brought any relief. A week from today it's time to let the surgeon fix it. What sucks is the lack of a decent medication that won't turn you into a doper. Good luck. Mine has progressed to the point that I'm basically an invalid.

Meds like GabaPentin take weeks to work if they're going to.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. The best we can do is offer prayers for your pain to lessen. I had an operation for a spinal cord injury in my neck 5 years ago. Been in sever pain ever since and opioids/pain meds don't work.. You may get some relief from doing PT. Hope you get better so you can get out and hunt!
Len & Jill
Would neurostimulation help your situation?

Was scheduled to hunt 2nd season CO. Unfortunately had to get epidural shot lumbar region for severe stenosis outbreak last week. It has not relieved the pain as it has in past. There is no way I can drive 25+, set up tent, and actually being able to hunt any elevation.

I am really not as upset as I thought I would be. Its completely out of my control and cannot get past the level of pain. Usually I can but this event is pretty acute. So now hopefully ok in week or so for remainder of bow.
That sucks! Speedy recovery

Lot of guys on LRH are missing hunts so this is no different. I will keep exercising to be in best shape possible. I wish everyone else yhe same for next year!
Hey brother, I am one of them LRH folks missing out on hunts this year because of back issue and subsequent surgery. Recovery has not gone well with now a foot drop condition, neuropathic pain and limp. Going back for a follow up MRI next week to try and determine where the nerve is still pinched and then based on findings determine what to do. So, I really really feel for you and pray you can get beyond this setback. Remember, we are a brotherhood here and will support you anyway we can. God be with you.

Would neurostimulation help your situation?
My new pain DR is going to try Electrodes in my neck at a very high frequency to disrupt the pain signals. The "Test" will be for five days to see if it works. If it does then they will implant the wires and battery under my skin. So far nothing has worked. Had RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) several time to "Burn" the nerve endings-Didn't work. Had an Epidural two months ago and it made the pain worse. They have tried every pain medication out there and nothing works - my genetics - system is immune to opioids. This (electrodes) is the last treatment option for any pain reduction. I just try to keep busy and if I am doing things I don't think of the pain. C-2 to C-7 is fused. We have a lot of animals to hang out with and Jill takes excellent care of me so I am blessed in many ways. Always hate to hear when someone is in pain with a medical issue that prevents them for daily actives and hunting/shooting. I don't hunt like I used too, but you can never stop me from shooting, reloading. working on firearms!

My new pain DR is going to try Electrodes in my neck at a very high frequency to disrupt the pain signals. The "Test" will be for five days to see if it works. If it does then they will implant the wires and battery under my skin. So far nothing has worked. Had RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) several time to "Burn" the nerve endings-Didn't work. Had an Epidural two months ago and it made the pain worse. They have tried every pain medication out there and nothing works - my genetics - system is immune to opioids. This (electrodes) is the last treatment option for any pain reduction. I just try to keep busy and if I am doing things I don't think of the pain. C-2 to C-7 is fused. We have a lot of animals to hang out with and Jill takes excellent care of me so I am blessed in many ways. Always hate to hear when someone is in pain with a medical issue that prevents them for daily actives and hunting/shooting. I don't hunt like I used too, but you can never stop me from shooting, reloading. working on firearms!
Prayers to you too brother. I hope it goes well and you can relieve that pain. Please keep us in the loop as to how it goes. God be with you.