DANG! Hunt Now Off

Was scheduled to hunt 2nd season CO. Unfortunately had to get epidural shot lumbar region for severe stenosis outbreak last week. It has not relieved the pain as it has in past. There is no way I can drive 25+, set up tent, and actually being able to hunt any elevation.

I am really not as upset as I thought I would be. Its completely out of my control and cannot get past the level of pain. Usually I can but this event is pretty acute. So now hopefully ok in week or so for remainder of bow.
Two herniated disks in lower back with degenerative disk disease and this procedure described at the link below is the only thing that relieves about 80% of the pain for me. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/17411-radiofrequency-ablation
This procedure is becoming widely applied and should be available near you.

Was scheduled to hunt 2nd season CO. Unfortunately had to get epidural shot lumbar region for severe stenosis outbreak last week. It has not relieved the pain as it has in past. There is no way I can drive 25+, set up tent, and actually being able to hunt any elevation.

I am really not as upset as I thought I would be. Its completely out of my control and cannot get past the level of pain. Usually I can but this event is pretty acute. So now hopefully ok in week or so for remainder of b
Hiking on uneven ground is pure hell for someone with spinal problems, I had to give up the horse back hunts too. I hope you recover quickly.

I am really not as upset as I thought I would be. Its completely out of my control and cannot get past the level of pain. Usually I can but this event is pretty acute. So now hopefully ok in week or so for remainder of bow.
Very sorry to hear you are suffering bud. I can relate. Can you say " OXYCONTIN 20MG". You will be able to stab yourself in the eye and never feel a thing....( till later). Get well!

Feel your pain, in both ways. I also have serious low back pain. But Saddam Hussein killed one of my Colorado hunts. Worked as a medical professional for the Dept of Army. My vacation was cancelled because the dude invaded Kuwait. Glad he's dead.

I feel your pain Muddy, my season was a disaster as well. Hunting buddy caught Covid 2nd day of Archery elk, had to take him home called off the hunt. Get home, prepare to go on the wife's mule deer hunt, she had horrible stomach pain the night before we were supposed to leave so I take her to emergency room next morning. She had to have an emergency appendectomy. That hunt was done. Then I got Covid. When it rains it pours.

The older you get you have to realize you have to ADJUST how you approach your hunts and what do you have to do. The decision to order a UTV was out of budget but my wife knows how important this is to me and encouraged me to get it ordered ASAP! You have to invest into "tools" to make it not only easier but safer for you. I will be 72 next year and I don't plan on hanging it up for quite a while.
( pssst, pssssst....hey...Muddy, are you really hurting...or was this just a Ploy to get that UTV?) 😃

As you know, you just cannot get past back pain. Its like tooth pain, always present and no real relief. The problem with stenosis is the progression of the disease is out of anyone's control. You just try to manage it as best you can. I have pain meds but do not take them unless I can't function. This is not my last hunt, I can assure you that. I have a CanAm Defender coming maybe by end of Feb? That will help next years hunt to reduce some of the boot miles to just get back there. Also going back to popup pickup camper to minimize camp effort. I HAVE to dump a bull with the .270TH!!!!!!

I am not looking for anything in this post just a little bit frustration being released. I am big boy. 😂 More ways than I can to discuss!
Sorry to read this post and that you have missed a planned hunt. In January 2000 while getting out of a cruiser I fell on from an icy parking lot and hit the middle of my back with the center post between the doors. From the waist up I was fine due to the vest, but.....from the waist down I blew out L3, L4 and L5. The epidermal shots never worked for me, so.....I was put on a drug called VIOXX. In April 2000 (at 53 years-old) I had a heart attack and in January 2001 I had a second heart attack, and....that's when FDA took Vioxx off the market because it caused heart disease. In 2006 the pain was so bad that I had to have surgery to remove the calcium build up in the spinal column because I couldn't stand up straight without leaning against a wall. Two rods and six screws later I could stand up a lot straighter and the severe pain was gone, but not totally pain free. Today my mobility is "okay", but limited and the pain is there, but it is marginal, or......I've gotten used to the fact that it's there and move past it. I like to hunt but the back injury has limited my ability to "spot and stalk" anymore, so..........I focus on what "I can do" instead of what my limitations are and "can't do". I like to hunt so took up black bear hunting over bait. I have heard and read some criticisms about "shooing bear over donuts", well.......that's what "I can do" so that's what I focus my energy on. Believe it or not there's still a challenge to hunting bear over bait, and......I'm still making great times and great memories with my son!! I will have been around the sun seventy-five times next month and we have already planned our bear hunt for September 2022. Muddyboots, I'd like to say that you are one of the few people who I follow on the forum, I like your replies and your input on a lot of subjects. All I can say is to keep chugging and to focus on "what you can do" and enjoy what you like to do the most. And.....good luck with your next hunt.

I feel your pain... literally. Have had several injections in the back. But doesn't really help, just for short amount of time. Going in on Thursday to have what's called Radiofrequency Lesioning done. A laser burns some of the nerve endings that are causing so much of the pain... supposed to last 6 months to a year! Lord knows I need some relief! Sorry to hear about the cancellation, at this moment in time, it just wasn't supposed to happen. Prayers for some relief and recovery!🙏🏻 We live on to hunt another day!

So sorry to hear of your situation. Youth, good health, family, and friends are blessings we typically do not fully appreciate until we lose them. Always thought youth is wasted on the young...... :) :) :) Prayers for the best for you. Do you have a strong religious faith? Prayer is powerful. Healing is not merely fables of the Bible. Healing still occurs today. I personally know several who have been blessed with undeniable, physician astounding healing when man's abilities were insufficient. Trust in Him for the answer. If you don't have a strong faith and personal experience/relationship with Him, your current pain is inconsequential for what eternity holds. He is real. Believe and be blessed.

The problem for me is I have to get there at least 3 days in advance for altitude acclimation. Susceptible to elevation but this works for me. The level I am in is for sure not going to get better soon enough. Plus the drive kills my back. I can't squat right now and get up without severe pain and assistance which is not usual but it is what it is. This happened before and took about 6 weeks to clear up. I probably waited too long to get shot.
How many Epidurals have you had and do you have any numbness in your lower extremities? Any pain like a rod running down center of butt cheeks?

I have had number of surgery's on lower back look at cold ablation mine lasted almost a year looking at trying to get another one done before deer season ends here in Ga.
good luck I know how much back pain hurts !!