**** my barrel is thin!

thanks buddy!

and I just checked my email and to my suprise JIM SEE replied to my email REALLY fast. He said that the CSR 3 port brake (.760" with a 1/2X28tpi) would work fine on my skinny barrel and he said that it wouldnt stick out all that much either. Whats the difference in that brake and his muzzle brakes. I guess it is a question I should ask him.. but I dont want to bother the guy with "newb" questions. Basically all I want is a muzzle brake that takes most of the bite out of my .300 and its not COMPLETELY deafening.. I am going to wear hearing protection (plugs under muffs) when im shooting, but I wont be while im hunting.. so I dont wanna go deaf shooting a deer!!

thanks buddy!

and I just checked my email and to my suprise JIM SEE replied to my email REALLY fast. He said that the CSR 3 port brake (.760" with a 1/2X28tpi) would work fine on my skinny barrel and he said that it wouldnt stick out all that much either. Whats the difference in that brake and his muzzle brakes. I guess it is a question I should ask him.. but I dont want to bother the guy with "newb" questions. Basically all I want is a muzzle brake that takes most of the bite out of my .300 and its not COMPLETELY deafening.. I am going to wear hearing protection (plugs under muffs) when im shooting, but I wont be while im hunting.. so I dont wanna go deaf shooting a deer!!
I borrowed this off of Jim's website to help you get a pictue in your mind.

I have a similar quandary to yours in that I want to put one on my sporter/magnum taper M-700 .300wm and was seriously considering getting Jim to put one on it. Unfortunately when I went to his website I saw that while they'll sell you one there's a very, very long wait to get them to do the install and if I was going to get one of his, I'd really prefer to get a turn key job done by them rather than have someone else install his product.

The Shrewd brake of the same diameter will also work on your rifle (and mine) and if I'm going to have to go that route I'll just go with the Shrewed.

Hopefully by the time I get ready to redo the 7mm STW Jim will be back to doing the installs again and I'll try one of his.

Attachments

• MuscleBrakes_9810_02n.jpg
    MuscleBrakes_9810_02n.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 37
I borrowed this off of Jim's website to help you get a pictue in your mind.

I have a similar quandary to yours in that I want to put one on my sporter/magnum taper M-700 .300wm and was seriously considering getting Jim to put one on it. Unfortunately when I went to his website I saw that while they'll sell you one there's a very, very long wait to get them to do the install and if I was going to get one of his, I'd really prefer to get a turn key job done by them rather than have someone else install his product.

The Shrewd brake of the same diameter will also work on your rifle (and mine) and if I'm going to have to go that route I'll just go with the Shrewed.

Hopefully by the time I get ready to redo the 7mm STW Jim will be back to doing the installs again and I'll try one of his.

I think the shrewed is a bit cheaper too if I am not mistaken. I am just so confused! If i could just see a **** video of a smith putting on of these things on maybe I would understand. Im from backwoods Va.. if you ask ANY of the hunters around here what a muzzlebrake is they would just look at you like YOU were ignorant.

Most of the guys around here dont need a muzzle brake on their .270win or their .30-30's... haha Its a different world down here! Thanks for all the help guys, and forgive me if I dont understand the first time around!

--cody

I think the shrewed is a bit cheaper too if I am not mistaken. I am just so confused! If i could just see a **** video of a smith putting on of these things on maybe I would understand. Im from backwoods Va.. if you ask ANY of the hunters around here what a muzzlebrake is they would just look at you like YOU were ignorant.

Most of the guys around here dont need a muzzle brake on their .270win or their .30-30's... haha Its a different world down here! Thanks for all the help guys, and forgive me if I dont understand the first time around!

--cody
None of us are born knowing this crap. Don't let it bother you.

The Shrewed is a good bit cheaper.

Be advised that you will most likely change the harmonics of your barrel by adding weight to the thin end of a pencil barrel. It may or may not affect accuracy. But if you loose accuracy remember that it is probably not the brake causing this, but rather a weak tube. I have seen this happen and the owner blames the brake. I have installed that same brake on a heavier tube and it shot better than before from the loss of recoil. So I can't say which way it will go for sure. It should increase accuracy but if it does not you should think about harmonics and how to deal with them.

Jeff

You do not want to have a brake on that gun if you don't plan on wearing ear protection, even in the field. Any brake, especially on a barrel that short, is going to significantly increase how loud that rifle is. You would be much better off just dealing with the recoil than damaging your hearing. You can also use a Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil pad to take some of the sting out of it.

Thanks alot guys for the help! I think I may just try and deal with the recoil. I mean I shoot 12ga slugs all the time since i was 12. Before this year that is what I deer hunted with. Thats why I am not so savy with this long range stuff. Im a shotgun hunter. I shoot 600gr slugs outta my benelli all the time and I love those guys! The Brenneke black magic bear slugs are BOSS. I think I may just suck it up and get used to the recoil...I just thought it would look cool and help me spot my hits a bit better! Thanks so much for all your help guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.