**** my barrel is thin!

ishootkittens

Hey guys.. Ive already spoken to liltank and I left a post about this in another thread..but i figured id start my own thread and hopefully get more advice.

I am looking for a muzzlebrake for my .300wsm... I measured the diameter on the barrel today and its freak .604" ***.

I had no idea a factory barrel was so thin!!!! I cant find muzzle brakes anywhere that fit such a thin barrel! Do you guys have any ideas?

Hey guys.. Ive already spoken to liltank and I left a post about this in another thread..but i figured id start my own thread and hopefully get more advice.

I am looking for a muzzlebrake for my .300wsm... I measured the diameter on the barrel today and its freak .604" ***.

I had no idea a factory barrel was so thin!!!! I cant find muzzle brakes anywhere that fit such a thin barrel! Do you guys have any ideas?

So the o.d is .604? what's the i.d. of the bore? Remember too, you are measuring the extreme outer end. Unless it's a bull barrel, the diameter will taper (outside) from the chamber to the muzzle end...

Your going to have to do what I did with the 700 sps 300wsm I have, it measured .641" I had a local guy make me one that was a 9/16 28 thread because it was the biggest I could use and a 1/2 24 is to small for a 30 cal. The ones I get have 36 staggered holes like a vias except none in the end, very effective though.

You have to run a belled brake on a 1/2" thread. There are actually tons of barrels out there .600".
Yep. The inline brakes made for pencil barrels are all but useless and loud as hell.

This is a very good one but loud as hell.

OPS Muzzle Brake Stainless Installed

Another option is to have the end of the barrel machined off right at the end diameter, threaded, and then have the brake recessed a bit where it actually slips on over the barrel (tapered down to match) which also makes it very easy to install a timed brake without worrying about getting the timing exactly perfect.

I have several defensive edge brakes on sporter wieght rifles and they work awesome. Its a slight taper to fit but they look great. I can send u a pic of one installed if u want

I would actually love some pictures! and I appreciate all the feedback guys. Im guessing that "varmint brake" wildrose posted is out of the question huh? I really liked that one.. I emailed coyboy about the muscle brake but I doubt they have one that could fit my pencil. Thanks again

a friend of mine just had them install a brake and he was anxiuos to see it, so I took a pic. I can sebd it to your email or text. Its on a factory ruger

I would actually love some pictures! and I appreciate all the feedback guys. Im guessing that "varmint brake" wildrose posted is out of the question huh? I really liked that one.. I emailed coyboy about the muscle brake but I doubt they have one that could fit my pencil. Thanks again
No it's not out of the question at all. See my previous post.

a friend of mine just had them install a brake and he was anxiuos to see it, so I took a pic. I can sebd it to your email or text. Its on a factory ruger

[email protected]

Thanks again, and Wildrose I really dont wanna chop my barrel off! hahah Its already just 23" to start with! Its my lightweight hunting rifle! (hunting for me doesnt mean the same as hunting for you guys(400-600yds MAX))

Thanks guys!

[email protected]

Thanks again, and Wildrose I really dont wanna chop my barrel off! hahah Its already just 23" to start with! Its my lightweight hunting rifle! (hunting for me doesnt mean the same as hunting for you guys(400-600yds MAX))

Thanks guys!
You misunderstand. It doesn't need to beh chopped off. Just threaded at the same diameter as the end of the muzzle coming back instead of turning it down further, then countersink the brake and taper it to match.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.