Damaged Bore!!??

I saw how old this thread is but I think I may have the same problem. I finally got a bore brush for my .264 and I was cleaning it and I felt a loose spot. Its at about the middle of the barrel and I can only feel it with brush and not the patches and only feel it with the brush on push stroke and not the back. Its a sendero and there is probably around a hundred rounds through the barrel. I shot it today and it grouped great at 100 around half moa but at 200 and 300 it was quite erratic with groups around 1-2 moa. I dont have a bore scope, any ideas? Thanks

I have had this problem and found out what it was in my case.

The loose place was 2 thirds down the barrel and after lots of different test I found that
it had a bulge in it and after researching with lots of barrel makers the cause was unanimous
from the barrel guys.

This was a 31" 7mm STW with a #4 contour. It had been fluted and this was the problem
because, as shilen said the barrel was to light to be fluted, and Lilja agreed . Also the
fluting was to deep leaving the barrel dangerously thin in the location of the bulge(You
cannot see any bulge on the outside because it is to small ).

After talking to these guys I cut the barrel in disk to do more test and found the bore to be
collapsed where the lands and grooves crossed under the fluting.

Dan Lilja stated that the reason the bulging occurred where it did was because the pressure
exceeded the wall thickness strength because the taper had gotten to small and weak from
bad fluting (To Deep) And that I was lucky it didn't come apart on me.

Shilen stated that he does not warranty his barrels if you flute them and Lilja limits the
Barrel contour size for fluting and the depth of the fluting because of this problem.

This rifle was the cause of my getting into smithing after I saw many other things wrong
with this Custom Rifle built buy a well known "Smith" .

If your rifle is not fluted and/or lightly contoured this may not be the problem but I felt
I needed to share my problem to prevent someone from getting hurt.

I don't have any objections to having a fluted barrel any more as long as the barrel maker
or a competent gun smith does it but I still go with Lilja's minimum size and depth to be
fluted.

I would not shoot it any more !!!!!!!

And have the barrel replaced because it could come apart on you .

J E CUSTOM

Went out and shot it today. At 889 yards it shot about a 6" group and it was pretty windy. :D

**** !!!!!

I consider my self fearless but that scares the hell out of me.

I would recomend calling 9/11 before you shoot it and that way at least they would be on
there way. "Be careful"

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts