damage from extractor

wyowinchester

I have been having some issues with closing the bolt on loaded ammo. Locking the bolt down is very hard on some and normal on others. Case length and neck dia. are very normal between the two. I found some claw marks the head of some cases. Some worse than others. Other ideas on why the bolt locking is that hard?? Ruger, M77, heavy.

Attachments

• 6.5 dent.jpg
    6.5 dent.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 6.5 head dent.jpg
    6.5 head dent.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 56
Since it is a claw style extractor, and much wider than the marks on your brass, are you sure it is the extractor? Feeding from the mag, or trying to single feed it?

Done the single feed. Still hard to fully close. Fully cleaned the chamber, thought some carbon might be in it. Some do it and some don't. All hand loads.

Haven't bumped the shoulders. Full sized every case. Thinking of annealing some of each and seeing if that makes any difference. All fired 3 times

Looking at your case a couple things to look at would be the bevel on the extractor and how much spring tension the extractor has. The first test I do is while holding the bolt, slide a case on to the bolt face like feeding from the mag box. You should feel the extractor snap on to the case, not a hard snap but should be some tension. Then I do a wiggle test for lack of a better word. bolt should hold the case. I do use a dummy round for this test. A properly fit extractor will hold the case as well as allow the bolt to close on round single feed. Finding a gunsmith who can tune a CRF action is the hard part these days.