Damage Done...???

25792SP

Action: Savage 112
Caliber: 257WBY. (Not original factory caliber)

I was out testing some loads today, working up some new combinations, and going up in powder incriments, obviously got a little too hot and pierced a primer. (This is the first time this has happened to me, I'm not one to knowingly push the envelope!!)

The bolt needed some good muscle to lift, and I had to tap the case out with a cleaning rod. OBVIOUSLY TOO HOT!

OK, so I came home wondering and hoping I had not done any damage to the rifle, came on the forums here, and tried to find what sort of damage to look for.

The case did not fail or crack, (it simply stuck in the chamber). To me, the locking lugs look fine.

The only thing I noticed (which may be a totally unrelated development which I overlooked previously - because I wasn't looking!!... is that the hex bolt on the end of the bolt that holds the bolt handle on was loose - I could turn it off by hand. Would a hot round have caused this? From what I'm reading here on the forums, this hex-bolt is normally extremely tight. Obviously, this action has had work done to it so I'm thinking that it's also possible that the Gunsmith may have simply not tightened it enough and I've never noticed it before.

Does what has happened here raise any red flags with you more experienced reloaders? (other than the obvious fact that I need to back off on the powder)

Is a pierced primer reason enough to suspect bold damage?

Other than the case sticking in the chamber, the shot that pierced the primer seemed normal - no odd smoke or gas blow-backs.

How would I go about re-tightening the hex-bolt to it's proper torque?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input! I'm not a gunsmith so this development is a bit new to me.

Not sure about any damage, but I doubt it. I worked up loads for my 6mm, and something went wrong and I dropped a primer and etched the bolt face.

The hex screw on the rear on mine works lose, I can tell when the bolt handle starts to wobble a bit. I just tighten it back up.

That Hex head bolt will loosen from time to time if it's not locktighted.

I've had occasion to 'tap' a bolt open and to 'tap' a cartridge out of a chamber, I've never seen any problems from it. I'd definitely back off on the powder :D though!

Just tighten the heck out of the Hex head and you should be good to go.

AJ

Thanks so much guys!

I really appreciate your advice! Upon a closer look at the hex-bolt and overall bolt assembly, I can see no way how a hot load could loosen the hex-bolt!

Wheeww!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.