Dakota value? How about build quality

Oldschool280

I ask beacause i looked at two rifles today , both dakota's one in 375 h&h the other 7mm rem mag both were used, dinged and priced at 4500 USD. Whats the story with these things?

DO NOT waste your money buying a Dakota! Remington/Freedom Group bought them out several years ago, and within a week their quality went to crap!

As a big Remington fan, I must admit this, which sucks, but it's the truth...Because I've seen it first-hand with before and after models compared side-by-side. They sell them at the local outdoors store and have for many many years. The pre-Freedom Group Dakota was awesome, after Freedom Group....Complete and utter crap.

Take that $4,500 and either go buy a Shiloh-Sharps 1874 reproduction (if you're wanting nostalgia) or go build an awesome custom rifle.

Thanx mudrunner, in reality 4,500 is not realistic for me to spend on a rig right now.I have an open invitation to hunt Chamoix in new zealand. I could certainly get away with something I currently have I'm thinking my 6.5 swede But I'd like something with a little longer reach . The local shop has a 1962 264 WinMag that sparked my interest . He'll let it go for 1500 with an old leupold.

Thanx mudrunner, in reality 4,500 is not realistic for me to spend on a rig right now.I have an open invitation to hunt Chamoix in new zealand. I could certainly get away with something I currently have I'm thinking my 6.5 swede But I'd like something with a little longer reach . The local shop has a 1962 264 WinMag that sparked my interest . He'll let it go for 1500 with an old leupold.

That sounds more worth the money... I'm assuming it's a Winchester Model 70, since in 1962 Remington released the 700 in 7mmRM to compete with the .264WM.

Check that bore with a scope, unless you are ok rebarreling. The 264 in the past with faster burning powders, and people not knowing that you shouldn't keep shooting with a hot barrel, was a little hard on barrels. If its good, thats a nice rifle!

Yes sir it's a very nice model 70

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.