Dakota 76 action?

Nicholas

Does anyone have a rifle built on this action? Does anyone know what the specs of the action are? Will it sport a 32 inch heavy barrel very well (without a bedding block). I am trying to decide on an action to build my 338 lapua.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]

sr90,

I have a Dakota 76, 330 Dakota. What specs do you need to know? I am not sure if it will support the barrel you are talking about, if I were you I would give Don Allen a call. He is very nice and would give you any info you needed. If you have any questions about their rifles or action let me know.

Jim

Looks like the Dakota action costs $2500, to much for me anyway.
frown.gif

What action would support a 32 inch 1.25 inch tapered to .85-.90 inch fluted barrel? I don't want to use a barrel block. Should I give up on the repeater idea?

I have 6 or 7 rifles (light gun 1000 yard) with 30" barrels .950" muzzle diameter on Remington actions. If you have a good bedding job, the Remington will hold a 30 to 32" barrel especially if it's tapored to the .850" or .900" at the muzzle. The calibers are 6BR, 243, 6.5/284, 30 Goodling,
and (2) 300 Weatherbys. The 300 Tamahawk (300 RUM IMP)with a 34" barrel is on the Remington action also and that barrel is NOT tapored and is 1.250" all the way out.

I could have gone with a repeater or single shot. Rules at Williamsport state you have to shot single shot so that was my decision.

The Sako actions are very good also.

Later
Darryl Cassel

What about the CZ actions are the very sturdy? I am going to build a 338 lapua or the 338 lapua improved
grin.gif

I would use a Ruger magnum action in 416 Rigby ($1200.) and order a custom barrel, rent the reamer, chamber, trigger job and be done. EVERYTHING WITH a Nightforce 5.5x22 less than 3000 bucks, and barrel length could maybe go to 34". The barrel tapers to .900" at 5" and .850" at 11" from the action. It also holds 3 rounds under the bolt, feeds even the 416wby case with ease.
Fit and finish is twice that of my sons model 70 Win. and many times better than the CZ. It will also handle the 505 Gibbs based wildcats as they become the new rage for LR.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]

I don't know anyone who has the big Ruger action alone, the price I stated was for the whole gun from a dealer. One shouldn't be to hard to find new, and a better deal on a used one from someone on the net is around also.

Does anyone know if the TRG sako action is the same as the Model IV ITW Sako 75 Action that brownells sells?

I would assume the TRG action is different but will a 75 action work just as well as the TRG?

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]

The action sounds great Ross, is it already trued, It looks like it is. Is the detachable magazine custom made by you guys, or is it the HS precision one? Can't wait until you put some pictures of it up.

Ross, do you know what the diameter of the TRG action is, how much longer is your thread shank than the TRG?

where can I find the Ruger action for sale?

So far the Sako looks the most appealing, Darryl do you know if the TRG action is the same as the model 75 action?

The McMillan actions aren't that much more than some of these being mentioned. Why wouldn't you guys go that way?

Hello SR90

Let me through more beans in the pot here.

First let me say, there are many good actions, custom or commercial available and some have been mentioned in previous posts.

The large Sako TRG is already chambered in the 338 Lapua. This means the bolt face will already work for you. The WHOLE gun wholesaled last year for around $600.00. You want an action and decent trigger (Not like Jewell), take the gun apart and sell the items you don't need. Now you have a repeating action that is not in excess of $1000.00.

Some questions.

1. Is this going to be a LR hunting gun? I think from your post, that's what you have in mind.
2. Does it have to be a 338 Lapua?
3. Have you considered a 338 RUM or a 338 Tomahawk? As I'm sure you know, this case can be fired on a straight Remington magnum action and it is VERY easy to get triggers, bases and most anything for Remington actions. A good action bedding job and part way up the barrel channel will hold the longer barrel just fine. You can buy a whole Remington ADL magnum for about $350.00 to $400.00. Again tear it apart and sell what you dont need.
The Sako or Remington are both repeater actions.

I have several custom actions and a whole bunch of Remington actioned rifles and can make a fairly good comparison here.
I have customs and Remingtons on Match guns and both on LR and Ultra LR guns too.
I went with the Hall G action for the 338/416 Rigby Imp because at the time, I felt that a large heavy duty action would be better in that size case and using the 300 gr bullet exclusivly. I also have a Large Hart action on a 30/378 Weatherby.

Not to mention BAT or Nesika Bay actions here, I think for what you want, and MUCH less expensive, the TRG Sako will fill the bill with the cartridge you want. Some are used at Williamsport on larger cases then the 338 Lapua.
Weatherby also makes a large bolt face action that will hold the 338 Lapua and larger and it is a repeater too. I have seen those (whole gun) for $800.00 and $900.00.

It would be interesting to see how well the 338 RUM would hold up using 300 Gr bullets and a 32 to 34" barrel. Remington says it will. I know it will work great with 250 Gr bullets.

If cost is not a problem, go with a custom but, you do have several options here that will work quite well.
You have to ask yourself, will the Custom action REALLY be that much better then the TRG Sako or Remington in the Hunting (I think) application you want?

I would probably opt to save the difference between a $1250.00 to $1900.00 custom action for a TGR and put the savings in real good LR optics.

These are just some of your options.

If it were me, I would go with the Sako TRG action with the 338 Lapua and if it were the 338 RUM I would go with a Remington.

Just my .02 Cents worth.

Darryl Cassel

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.