CZ550 458 Win or Lott

ANARCHIST

Bought this CZ550 about 6 years ago, besides replacing the wood stock I have not looked at it in years & never fired it, I would like to find out if it is going to be a hassle to open the 458 win chambering up to 458 Lott I do not want to swap the brand new barrel with express sights out just open the chamber.

I cannot find reasonable 458win mag ammo & have plenty of 300wby & 375 to open up to to 458.

Anyone recommend a smith to open the chamber & not make a mess of the rifle?

TIA Guys

2020-07-27-CZ550-458.jpg

Last edited:
The Lott is .260 thousandths longer so you will need a mag length of 3.600 + to handle the Lott other wise it is a straight forward re chambering.

The Lott is a very powerful cartridge and a good place for a muzzle brake in my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Dennis Olson from Plains, MT did my Win 70. If I remember our conversations, the reaming wasn't much. I had other things done too. I have a borescope and it looks pretty clean. I would recommend his work.

I would recommend you call him. He is not the kind of guy with a fancy web page, Facebook, Instagram, etc, but he lives out in big country where 1000 yards isn't that far and most NA big game can be found with an hour from the shop! He has a heck of a reputation for big bores, Ruger work and a lot of real gunsmithing on less popular rifles, calibers, etc. He gets work done too. I think he held my Win 70 for about a month during peak season. I've seen his wood work and it looks good....just a bit more than I need right now.

458 win case length is 2.5" and the 375& 300 wby. case length is around 2.8" . I think the 458 Lott is the full 375 length case. Will need a brake installed for the recoil. :oops:

458 win case length is 2.5" and the 375& 300 wby. case length is around 2.8" . I think the 458 Lott is the full 375 length case. Will need a brake installed for the recoil. :oops:
I would be careful be careful with that decision.... Brakes often suck if you are around others especially without ear protection.

I have both, the mag box is NOT an issue with either cartridge. The same mag box with wider follower and softer spring handles the 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffrey and even the 500 Jeffrey.

Running a reamer for the Lott is a simple process, barrel and action stay together and job is done fairly swiftly.

I can not recommend anybody, but there should be quite a few good fellows on this forum able to do the work for you.

Cheers.

If the Lott will work for your action, definitely do it. The Lott puts the 458 Win to shame. A friend took a 458 Win to Africa on his first trip, got the Lott on suggestion of the PH. He has been back three times since with the Lott and raves about it. Good luck

I rechambered my CZ to the Lott, great improvement. There may be a little work required on the feeding cone to help the longer round chamber smoothly. I like the pointed Woodleigh 400gr PP at 2600fps for pigs and smaller game, and the 550gr RN for the big stuff. No brake required.

Thanks guys, these CZ 550 Safari Magnums I think take 5 460 Weatherby in the box, its a massive double square bridge action, length not an issue with box.

Just opening the chamber a tad I was thinking it could be done with by hand with a finishing reamer? I do not have any real experience at it, as for the "feedramp" thats something I have worked on with Interarms & other M98 actions.

Appreciate the help, time to consider using the rifle on a hunt.

Anarchist, do you load your own ammo? if you do then before you re-chamber to the Lott do your self a favor and go over to Accurate reloading forums and look up big bores and click on 458 win mag there are over 200 pages on reloading the win mag to beat the Lott with less powder,I did and am very happy with my CZ 550 in 458 Win Mag V.any questions get in touch with me.also keep in mind the Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby, Mt next June

Anarchist, do you load your own ammo? if you do then before you re-chamber to the Lott do your self a favor and go over to Accurate reloading forums and look up big bores and click on 458 win mag there are over 200 pages on reloading the win mag to beat the Lott with less powder,I did and am very happy with my CZ 550 in 458 Win Mag V.any questions get in touch with me.also keep in mind the Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby, Mt next June

My issue is the lack of short magnum brass to reload, not so much the performance, I can not even find a 338win brass to try to open up, its crazy.

I've owned two types of .458's I have made a bunch of brass from 375 H&H in the old days and then I got into long range shooting and one of the competition 1000 yard guns was the 308 Baer. One of the people used to give me bags of them. All you had to do was band saw them to length and I used a case trimmer to get to the final size.

I had 26 and 24 inch barrels on 458 win mags. I used to pack in 78 grains of 4320 or 748 or BL-c{2} behind 510 gr. I wonder what you could do with modern cfe223.

I will look around for my old chrono data. The 405 Barnes X was the most excellent round for all plains game including lions

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.