CZ vs Savage firearms?

matt_3479

Im in the market for a new small game rimfire and wanted to know which is better. I will either be getting a CZ 455 American in a 17 HMR or the Savage 93R17 BVSS in a 17 HMR. They are very similar in configurations. Both 6 lbs, both have 21 " barrels basically, both are 1:9 twist. As far as i know the CZ should bring me at about 500 and the savage shouldn't bring me any more then 450 at the most and 350 at least. The savage has the accutrigger but i was told has plastic trigger guards and stuff where as the CZ is all metal.

I was told the CZ is a better rifle but accuracy is about the same. Now which rifle is actually better and what would you get. i know there is a decent amound of people who dont like the 17 but i have already decided on caliber. Its just firearm now./ Thank you

I own both a CZ 452 and a Savage Mk I GL (pre-accutrigger), both in .22LR. There is absolutely no contest between these two. The CZ is a much better rifle and will stand the test of time.

The Savage is serviceable, but made as cheaply as possible. In terms of accuracy and pure shootability, the Savage doesn't hold a candle to the CZ. The Savage is a price point rifle that can be had off-the-shelf at Wal Mart. If it suits your price range, it will give you reasonable performance for the dollar. If you can afford the CZ, however, you are buying the only rifle in its class. You can get a better rimfire only by stepping up to a Cooper or an Anschutz and spending several times the money. In terms of price, the Savage wins. In terms of value for your money, I will take the CZ any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Where the CZ 455 is concerned, it appears to be getting mixed reviews vs the CZ 452. The 452 is on its way out, but it can still be had (hint: gunbroker). I say grab one while you can! You will not be sorry.

+1 on the CZ. I can't speak to the Savage as I don't own one. But I do have a couple buddies that have em. Two of them have since traded them for CZs after shooting mine. The Savages are very accurate, but fall behind in the fit, finish, and function. Some CZs can be had with a set trigger that is absolutely awesome. (My 550 in 22-250 has the set trigger but my 452 doesn't, the 452 trigger is still very good for a factory job, but with a little work can be made great) The only bad thing I have to say about CZ is that they don't have a big aftermarket like the Savage does. I think it's because there isn't much need to tinker with them. I had a hard time coughing up the extra $ for my first CZ, but once I did, it's been nothing but smiles since. I have a hard time buying anything else because you have to spend alot more $ to get the same quality of the CZ.

The CZ is better IMHO better looking and a better trigger the stocks on some of the CZs are verry classy looking.
accuracy wise I am not sure the CZ shoots better for me because the the trigger the savage has the advantage as far as changing barrel out easier should you decide to do that in the future.
I personally hate the savage accutrigger others have no problem with it.
At the end of the day like said above the Savage is a MCmart gun the CZ is not and will hold value.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.