CZ rifle question for Chris Mathews

Jeff In TX

Chris,

I thought I read a while back that your wife worked for CZ and you went on a varmint hunt sponsored by the company.

I'm looking for a hog/deer rifle for my youngest son and thought about looking at the CZ rifles.

I realize they are production guns and when compared to the Rock rifle you build there is probably no comparison, but can you give me your overall opinion of the rifle as a factory built rifle.

I haven't priced them as of yet, but how do they stack up and compare to the factory Rem, Win and Savage rifles.

Are they built well?
Are the actions and barrels any good?
Do they shoot well out of the box?
Can they be tinkered with to really shoot well or is that not a concern?
Price wise, how do they compare to the big three?

Not trying to put you on the spot, but I guess I have, "sorry". If you want to respond to me off line, that's OK just kick me off an email.

Anyone else having any input (great, good, bad or ugly) on the CZ rifles please chime in.

Thanks,

Jeff,
I've been watching cz for awhile myself. According to Shilen, I think, hammer forged barrels are not as accurate as buttoned. From the folks I've talked to; they either love em' or hate em'. Would also be very interested in an objective opinion if you receive one. Nighthunter / Magnolia, TX

Jeff ,
The CZ rifles compare more than favourably with the big 3 as far as finish is concerned . All steel construction with no cheap alloy parts from memory.
Actions are based on the proven Mauser 98 design but with improvements . No short .308 length action though . They are generally quite accurate out of the box but respond to a trigger and bedding job as do most factory rifles .
Wood on the walnut models is normally Turkish Walnut of a better grade than standard big 3 models . Hammer forged barrels are used on most factory rifles and normally aren't up to the accuracy standard of a good button rifled barrel .
In Australia CZ's are generally cheaper than Winchesters , Remingtons and Savages .
One thing to check is whether your son can easily reach the trigger . Some models with the single set trigger need long fingers to reach comfortably .
wink.gif

Okay, here's what I have found:
The 452 rimfires are the most accurate out of the box rifles period. They will easily keep up with the Anschutz in the accuracy department. Trigger can be made better with the adjustable sear from Brownells. The 17 HMRs kick ***!
The 527s are probably CZ's best rifle overall. I tested over 20 of them before the shoot. Worst one shot 3/4 MOA and the best did 1/4 MOA with various types of factory ammo. The most dissapointing was the new 204 Ruger. 100 fps slower than advertised and groups around 1 MOA. Throw it out and the above statement is what the 17 REM and the 223. Laminate, HS and walnut stocks are available for them.
The 550 in 22-250 shot pretty well 1/2 to 3/4 MOA in a laminate or HS stock.
Single set triggers on the 527 and 550 kinda suck from the factory but are fully adjustable and really nice when properly adjusted.
Don't have any experience with their larger calibers.
Overall a nice rifle with some neat features.
From an engineering point of view, I wouldn't go into battle with one- to many parts. But still good hunting rifles, even for dangerous game- I forgot I have shot their 416s.
My 338 Lapua is built on a 550 416 action and it shoots 1/4 MOA all day long.
Letting the cat out of the bag.....rumor has it that they will be starting a custom shop offering calibers like the 6.5-284 and RUMs, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.