CZ 550 and CZ 550 Magnum

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Rustystud, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Rustystud

Rustystud Well-Known Member

Does anybody had a tenon drawing for these actions, and do you have a picture or drawing of your action wrench you use for these actions?
    Nat Lambeth

2. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

Before I knew better I used to worry about tennon blueprints but not knowing the history of the action plus factory variances I have found it best to treat every rifle as an individual and draw up a print for it from my own measurements. This way you can get the thread fit as tight as possible. It's the mark of a pro to have it fit like a micrometer spindle from the first thread forward. This is one thing we can bring to the table that a CNC machined barrel has a very hard time doing. We can also custom tailor the operating clearances for the intended application.

For an action wrench I use the bolt as a rough pattern and make a Holland style wrench for it out of tool steel. Here is one I built for the Stiller 1.6" actions we use to build our 338 CT Max and 375 Chey Tacs on next to a real Holland 700 wrench. It's been to 200 foot pounds in a test. No perceptible twist observed.

[​IMG]

3. Punisher

Punisher Well-Known Member

It is large ring Mauser.

We just did one of these. The action wrench I made out of a piece of bar stock and a u bolt. I cushioned it with lead tape.

A standard action wrench won't work since the thing is a cylinder with integral recoil lug.

4. Punisher

The only thing a CZ has going for it is that you don't have to time the barrel to mill an extractor slot.

I hope you plan on using the factory stock. An aftermarket stock has to be built custom. ($6-900!)

5. Punisher

I don't think this style will work on the action. The ejector will need a special slot cut into this wrench.

6. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

It was shown as an example of what I might do and did for that big Stiller. A groove for an ejector is an obvious given if needed and an easy addition. I could just as easy build a front ring external clamp style that fit the diameter with reliefs and flats cut to support whatever structures stuck out of it for example like a Ruger, Winchester, Weatherby or Enfield does. The internal ones are simpler to build. The hardest one was for a Browning A Bolt that was heavily engraved and paper thin. They have an odd shape to them.

7. Punisher

It's a good idea, don't get me wrong. :)

The CZ seems to me like a poorly thought out winchester model 70.

All of the same drawbacks and then some.