CZ 527 - honest prelim review

grog24

Hello all. I just purchased a CZ 527 suppressor ready in 6.5 Grendel and unboxed it last night. No range time yet, but I will update accordingly. I will try to give honest feedback so you can decide if the gun could potentially work for you. My post will be somewhat long but hopefully informative.

Reason I wanted this gun: most deer "hunting" (harvesting really) we do in Texas is sitting in a deer blind, drinking whiskey or beer, and waiting for a deer to walk up. Most shots are 75yds-110yds (with the occasional 150-200yd). I want a short, lightweight hunting rig, with enough oomph to kill small-medium size game (whitetails, etc.) out to ~300yds. I have ARs that would work but honestly I just prefer a bolt action for hunting.

With my current hunting rig - 6.5cm Rem700 22" and a 9" suppressor slapped on it, I'm at 31" of barrel. Not the most handy. It also weighs 11.5lbs scoped. Yes it shoots .2-.3 groups but it's not fun to carry in the field or maneuver around.

Enter CZ 527 suppressor ready in 6.5 Grendel. Gun as advertised: 6.5grendel, 16.5" barrel, 5.87lb mini-Mauser action.

Weighing it assembled (with no ammunition) came out to 5lb 12.2oz = 5.76lb. Sweet! Barrel is 16.5" as advertised.

LOP:
Normal trigger mode: 13.75"
CZ "Set" trigger mode: 14.125" (more on that later)

Packaging was cheap as possible - cardboard box, styrofoam compartments... oh well. It gets thrown away so I really don't care (some do).

Now the biggest shock to me: the synthetic stock it comes with is coated with some rubber/polymer based non-slip coating. Think kimber mountain ascent/Adirondack coating (if you haven't handled them, think any power tool with a slight rubbery grip). I tried contacting CZ for details but they're closed for New Years. Will try again later and update. No where I read stated these stocks came this way and it was a big surprise to me. Just be advised.

Common issues you read about the guns:
Barreled action sits crooked in stock (mine is crooked and sits far left) and the action is stiff/bolt manipulation is not smooth. military arms' YouTube review and many others have similar complaint. I was lucky, as mine is smooth. I will still plan on polishing pieces and reassembling (will report back)

These 527 guns come with the CZ set trigger - you push forward on the trigger and it makes the pull significantly lighter. Think single action vs double action... I thought it would be awesome, but I am not a fan of the set trigger what so ever. No creep, but the over travel is EXTREME. After the trigger goes past the sear engagement (aka breaks) the trigger moves by itself backwards quite a bit. It literally jumps away from your finger, which feels very foreign and against trigger discipline. It also adds 3/8" to the LOP which pushes it to beyond my likes (I like 13.5-13.75 given my size) The "normal" trigger is significantly better in my opinion, so I will eventually disengage the set trigger and polish/tune the normal trigger mechanism.

Another complaint people have is the "reversed" safety. You pull it towards you to disengage. This requires one to break their grip to move their hand - at least for me and I wear size Medium gloves for reference. If you have some big ol paws you might be able to do it without breaking grip... I do not find it a huge issue because I disengage safety (with the gun pointed at intended target) with my finger off the trigger and then settle in behind the scope. So nothing that will affect my routine.

My overall feeling for the gun: I like it a lot, even with the crooked stock and flaws. It's lightweight, compact, feels well in the hand, nice manufacturing on metallic components, and good price point ($675 as of 12/20). I plan on putting a lightweight, short suppressor on it to keep the barrel length around 22" or less... w/ 6.5 Grendel's already minimal recoil, this should be an excellent combo.

To be honest, I fully attend on replacing synthetic stock with a walnut CZ stock (which I will refinish to high gloss) to give it the "classic" blued steel and walnut look. I have other tactical/carbon fiber rifle stocks but want a classy build.. When my boy grows up and comes hunting with me, I want him to see THAT as a classic rifle.. cheesy? Maybe.. but hopefully you can relate).. if I was intending to make it an all out "rugged" hunting rig, I would cerakote it and move on.. I do not think the stock will take cerakoting well/if at all with rubberized coating.. I will report back after speaking with CZ on their guidance.

Thanks for reading and please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or requests for more info. I intend to respond after range tests and more info from CZ.

Attachments

• 14AE3086-6BF1-45C9-B9E5-3A3E962D943D.jpeg
    14AE3086-6BF1-45C9-B9E5-3A3E962D943D.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 338
  • A54EAFB4-3D48-4862-99ED-ED59A77B9133.jpeg
    A54EAFB4-3D48-4862-99ED-ED59A77B9133.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 950FAA28-67D8-45FD-878D-3E3CA0013383.jpeg
    950FAA28-67D8-45FD-878D-3E3CA0013383.jpeg
    960.5 KB · Views: 345
  • 2C15704F-E960-4245-97DC-831C24A3E5B9.jpeg
    2C15704F-E960-4245-97DC-831C24A3E5B9.jpeg
    904.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 03889CCF-A7E0-4339-B4C3-D657F1E55AC8.jpeg
    03889CCF-A7E0-4339-B4C3-D657F1E55AC8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 465
Since posting the above thread I have: installed Warner medium rings (5.3oz)
Installed SWFA UL scope on it (9.3oz)
6lb 10.8oz scoped and unloaded (does not include suppressor weight)
I also weighed the synthetic stock if anyone is interested: 2lb 3.6oz

BIGGEST UPDATE: Reworked trigger - BIC lighter spring replacement, and adjusting settings. 11oz crystal clean break... literally best trigger I've ever felt. 0 creep, essentially 0 over travel. Better than my trigger tech and jewell. Just WOW. I had one friend that wouldn't believe that was a slightly reworked factory trigger. It's that good. Oh, and the set trigger is no longer functional. Acts like any other single stage trigger

Brass is back ordered, so sadly no range time yet...

Did call and confirm with CZ USA customer support (uninspiring individual whose name I won't mention) that the stock is coated with "some rubber coating.. I don't know what" .. when asked about removal of coating or cerakote application "I don't know". - per CZ. I called twice trying to hopefully get someone else who was more enthusiastic or knowledgeable but it didn't happen. When asked about crooked stock remedy and if it was common (which I know it is) he said he "didn't know".. and he didn't offer to replace or fix it (I wasn't pushing or asking for that though).

My experience with CZ customer support was essentially "welcome to Costco, I love you" - if anyone's seen the movie "Idiocracy"... I'm not upset and I've heard great things from others about CZ customer support so I wouldn't let that discourage anyone.

This gun is great.

Attachments

• 078F9074-77FB-4FFD-B0C8-BE4366F2C52E.jpeg
    078F9074-77FB-4FFD-B0C8-BE4366F2C52E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I have been eying this exact model & caliber.
I wouldn't hesitate. Might become my favorite rifle at a fraction of the cost.

I'm doing another form 1 suppressor just for this gun. Should come in around 7oz @ 6".. so I'll have an approximately 7lb-2oz gun with an equivalent 22" barrel with almost no recoil and great ballistics at my intended range.

Only thing is finding extra magazines for it. Non existent.. I think since it shares commonality with 7.62x39 everyone buys it all up like they need 50mags for war... haha just my guess. I plan on buying an extra magazine and making one flush for hunting. It will only have a two round capacity but it will do.

The stock needs to be from a Grendel or 7.62x39 as the mag well is bigger. Been thinking of cutting down my CZ527 Grendel to 18" and threading for the can but just dont want to loose the velocity of the 24. The 20" Grendel AR is a dirty pig with the can!
Left the trigger alone on this one as its little brother in 223 is almost too light😁 but did bed the action to center it up and make it more consistent.
Good luck finding mags,brass and dies/Dillon conversions as they are in very high demand.
Please keep us updated on how it shoots, with without the can. Be intersting what the velocity is with that short of barrel?

I've got 6-527's all but 1 has after market stocks and barrels and I've never specified what caliber when ordering a stock.
I've got 3- on a 22 hornet action,1 in a 20 prac and 1 - 204 and 1- 20 PPCAI. The only difference i can tell is how the trigger guard opening for the mag is opened up to except a bigger or smaller mag depending on caliber. Theres about .200 difference in length between 22 hornet and the 7.62x39

I've got 6-527's all but 1 has after market stocks and barrels and I've never specified what caliber when ordering a stock.
I've got 3- on a 22 hornet action,1 in a 20 prac and 1 - 204 and 1- 20 PPCAI. The only difference i can tell is how the trigger guard opening for the mag is opened up to except a bigger or smaller mag depending on caliber. Theres about .200 difference in length between 22 hornet and the 7.62x39
Before I bought mine, my research showed it was just a different bottom metal as you stated. Glad to hear that's the case

The stock needs to be from a Grendel or 7.62x39 as the mag well is bigger. Been thinking of cutting down my CZ527 Grendel to 18" and threading for the can but just dont want to loose the velocity of the 24. The 20" Grendel AR is a dirty pig with the can!
Left the trigger alone on this one as its little brother in 223 is almost too light😁 but did bed the action to center it up and make it more consistent.
Good luck finding mags,brass and dies/Dillon conversions as they are in very high demand.
Please keep us updated on how it shoots, with without the can. Be intersting what the velocity is with that short of barrel?
I have everything except the brass at this point and it's "backordered". My friend bought a Labradar so I'll see what velocity's I'm getting and report back. Might be a little bit

I knew the mags where different so figured the stock would have to be opened up?
Ran 7.62x39 though the Grendel die. Some brass works better than others for blasting as case capacity is less so start low.

Reviving this thread - w/ hornady black 6.5G ammunition and a 6" suppressor, my average muzzle velocity was 2407 - measured with labradar. 5 shot grouping was 1.56" at 100yds. I believe there is bedding issues. Going to work up handloads and bed the rifle. Just other projects that are more pressing.