CZ 527 för 6br build?

TheDugg

Im consider a cz527 for a stalking rifle in 6br. The mag needs some minor adjustment on the inner sides but is in the right lenght (2.387). So COL wont be an issue. The bolt face needs to open up slightly from (7,62x39) wich are 0.447 in base, and BR 0.470.

The big question is, will the micro action hold up for 6br pressure? dont want the bolt in my face ;) Ofcourse i want a rigid strong action giving good accuracy but at the same time the right boltlenght and mag length, cant get Eliseo here in Sweden.

Before sending anything for a rebuild go and get yourself 200 pieces of brass, because what good is the chamber if you got to search for a year for brass...

We looked into this a while back and decided that it wasn't worth the work to do the conversion. By the time you've opened the boltface up to .473 and modified the extractor for the larger case you've removed a fair bit of material and started to compromise the strength. We also worked on a magazine that would function with the BR case. The factory mag is pretty tight with a BR case in there and the receiver limits the width of a magazine that could be used.

I ended up just going with a 6.5 Grendel, but a 6mm Turbo would be another great option. If you can make the BR case work I think you'd really be on to something. I have a cartridge designed off of the 6.5x52 carcano case that is the largest I could fit into the CZ may without modifying it that would match the capacity of the BR case but with a smaller diameter. I'm pretty happy with the little Grendel though. It makes a great walking rifle just like you're going for.

Yorke-1 Thats really interesting thanks for sharing you view on it. Yes the grendel is a lovely little round. If a 6br projekt is started i must know that feeding wont be a problem but maybe its better to choose a different smaller case for the 527 just as you did to avoid trouble. Nice boomstick you got there.

I've seen a cz 527 with modiefied magazine. To work with fatter cases they miled out the vertical "calluses" inside the mag. Becouse the right length of the mag feeding should not be a problem? but maybe its tricky to get the CRF to grip the case properly?

I have a 527 with a bad barrel that would be a good start for your projest

That would be really great. Too bad I live in Europe :( the ITAR laws and our own import laws makes it impossible to do, well, atleast very very expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.