CZ 527 6.5 Grendel conversion

yorke-1

It's not really a super long range rig, but I thought this project turned out pretty well.

I was looking to put together a light weight rifle to use as my walk around rifle while scouting and just wandering through the woods. The requirements were pretty simple: short, light weight, accurate, and capable of taking any WA game animal at reasonable range (2-300 yards) with proper shot placement. I also wanted this to be a good gun for my son to use when he start hunting probably next year or so. I have heavy calibers including a 375 Ruger and 458 Arnold (458 Lott performance) so I didn't need or want a heavy caliber. I carried a 204 Ruger around for years but it was only good for small critters like coyotes and smaller. I needed something a bit bigger.

After talking to the guys at Grizz Precision we came up with the idea of converting a CZ 527 to 264 LBC (6.5 Grendel). The donor rifle was a 7.62x39 Carbine so the bolt face and magazine didn't need any work. All that needed to happen was screw on a new barrel. We went with a 19" Black Hole Weaponry barrel in a taper that would match the factory CZ barrel. This way we didn't have to modify the stock.

A couple weeks later, this is what they gave me:

Before

[

After

The test target they sent me

The finished rifle weighs 7.2 lbs scoped! I originally sent them a VX-3 1.5-5x scope to throw on the gun because I wanted it to be a little carbine for when I'm tromping through the woods. Now I'm thinking of throwing some higher powered glass on there to see how it really preforms. That factory ammo group is great, but I'm curious to see how it does with some good handloads. I'm also anxious to see how much performance I can gain my taking advantage of the stronger bolt action compared to the AR platform that the Grendel typically runs in.

This is the first gun I've had done by Grizz Precision, so I didn't know what to expect. I knew that they did a lot with competitive guns for 3 gun matches and the like, but I was curious to see how they'd do on this. I'm absolutely thrilled with how it turned out. So far, they all seem to be willing to try doing stuff that's a little bit different. I have a bolt action Specialty Pistol project that I'm going to start and I'm going to see how they do with that next.:D

Andrew

That's pretty cool. I have a 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform and I really like it. I would imagine that it is pretty uncomfortable shooting that thing with the scope that high? Might get something to put on the stock to raise you up on the stock a bit.

I love it! I'm always looking at ways to improve a rifle with kids in mind. I looked at doing this same thing, but ended up with the Ruger 77 compact in 7.62x39. It's handy little thing, but I haven't been serious about finding out what it will do, the kids are happy with it.

It's likely to get a synthetic stock, but I'm not as certain, as I was about switching to the Grendel, I'm certainly anxious to see how your son likes it, and how it works for you in the field.

If you don't mind, where is Grizz Precision, sounds like their turn around time is good.

The scope has to be mounted high to clear the bolt handle. The factory stock has a pretty low comb to use the iron sights on the factory barrel. The wood on the factory stock is so nice that I'm don't really want to mess with it right now.

The Grizz Precision shop is a local place here in western WA. The turnaround was impressive. It took longer to get the barrel blank than to have the work done. They're actually thinking of offering the CZ barrels available as short chambered prefits.

Andrew

Bad a@@.... love my grendels too (I have two). Your groups may go down to 0.25 if you lower your scope after a bolt modification.

I've got a Grendel, too, but mine is a 24" AR that I built. I want to build a Grendel from a 700 short action someday. Best action I've figured out to use would be a factory 700 chambered in 6.8 SPC, and opening the bolt face to .455". Or starting from the beginning with a .223 action and opening the feed rails and bolt face. I'd also love to see a 700 bottom metal that accepts AR mags, so I could use my current Grendel mags. That would be a cool rifle.

Just in case anyone is interested, CZ is going to make the 6.5 Grendel a factory offering in the 527 this year.

That's awesome! Keep us updated in this thread.

Do you know if they're going to offer a heavy barrel/varmint option?

I think the first offerings have a spotter weight barrel. I'd expect a farming model to show up pretty soon too.

That would be an awesome little varmint and deer rifle.

I used mine on two small deer last year and it's a deer killing machine with the 130 accubonds. One was a black tail at about 45 yards and the other was a white tail at around 100. The little Grendel has been kind of my shop mule for testing the 6.5mm bullets in my bullet testing thread too. It's a little work horse!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.