CZ 527 223...hard working bolt

dwinmeade

Brand new CZ 223, when using the bolt handle, the bolt binds up and works VERY hard. If grabbed by the end of the bolt, I can push/pull the with ease. I've oiled it,doesn't seem to help.

Anybody out there with the same problem and a solution?

Shoot it is the best advise I can give. They are a little catchy right away but get better the more you work it. Watch a movie and play with it a bit and it will smooth up. I take mine prairie doggin and between the dust and working it they smooth up nice. I like to run mine dry after cleaning them up with Balistol. I have a 204 and 223 in a 527 varmint. My 7.62x39 527 still needs more shooting to smooth out.

Thanks, I initially thought it was the magazine, the cartridges went in/out hard. There were scratch marks on the cartridge sides as if the lips of the magazine were still sharp from the manufacturer.

So I disassembled the magazine, took my larger round chain saw file, put it in my cordless drill and proceeded to gently file on both sides just under each of the lips. The cartridges move smoother in/out now.

Loading the magazine, now that's a treat. 1st cartridge, easy-peasy, the next 4, not so. I take my smallest, plastic coated handle pliers and push down on the loaded up cartridge, making room to start the next cartridge. With magazine lips now smoother, the remaining cartridges slide in fairly easy. Those pliers now have a home in my cargo pants!

The magazine spring seems extra stiff...ever adjust that?

My mag springs where not nearly as tight as you describe. All I do with my metal mags is take some light emery cloth to them and buff them up with that and some balistol on the sharp edges.
I tip the next cartridge I load down into the previous to get them started. I also leave them loaded because for a bolt gun they don't need crazy pressure.

Solved my problem...it was the magazine spring...too stiff...(the last 2 cartridges fed with ease, but not the first 3.)

Took the spring out, gently bend the spring at several knuckles (both sides) and shrunk the spring by 1/2" in height.

Now all 5 cartridges feed with ease.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.